Within communities like Centennial Park, while the first wide may have no legal obligation to share an inheritance with subsequent wives she would be under enormous social pressure to do so, even if she had been the sole wife for most of the marriage and even if she had been the breadwinner for the majority of that time.

I am not "snarking." Where did you learn about CP and their customs? I am just curious and would love to educate myself. :-)

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally watched the first episode the other day. One thing that went through my head is that in some ways these young people have more freedom than the Duggars do. Which goes to show just how extreme the Duggars are...

I am not "snarking." Where did you learn about CP and their customs? I am just curious and would love to educate myself. :-)

Extensive reading about the FLDS.

Most of my knowledge of Centennial Park comes from the rash of blogs that popped up following the YFZ raid, many of which no longer exist, where many former FLDS members, including some current Centennial Park residents, told their stories.

Also from books about the FLDS, some by former members, that characterise the culture of Centennial Park as very similar to the FLDS before the Jeffs family takeover.

Extensive reading about the FLDS.

Most of my knowledge of Centennial Park comes from the rash of blogs that popped up following the YFZ raid, many of which no longer exist, where many former FLDS members, including some current Centennial Park residents, told their stories.

Also from books about the FLDS, some by former members, that characterise the culture of Centennial Park as very similar to the FLDS before the Jeffs family takeover.

Thanks for the information about CP. I found it interesting! It is so crazy comparing CP to Jeffs compound.

Didnt one of the girls in the "sister wives" spin off (or the family who claims big love was based on them) show marry into centennial park?

Didnt one of the girls in the "sister wives" spin off (or the family who claims big love was based on them) show marry into centennial park?

One of the Darger (the family that loosely inspired Big Love) daughters recently married into Centennial Park.

One of the Darger (the family that loosely inspired Big Love) daughters recently married into Centennial Park.

Has she been heard from since?

Has she been heard from since?

I'm not sure. It's been rumoured her family weren't thrilled about her marriage, but they attended and it was apparently filmed.

I'm reserving judgment on the show for now. It felt off to me, like they're were trying way too hard to come across as being more mainstream than they actually are.

I'm not sure. It's been rumoured her family weren't thrilled about her marriage, but they attended and it was apparently filmed.

It's not a rumor. They had their little show (can't remember what it was called, or if it was part of a SW episode), but Daddy Darger was most definitely not happy that she was marrying into CP because they're a lot more fundified, and there was a lot of drama around the issue of CP folks attending the wedding because it was happening at the Dargers' home, but I believe they did attend. I do wonder how this fits in the "the woman chooses the man" thing. How does that work when the woman isn't from the community? Daddy Darger was also very upset that they had gotten engaged without his permission/blessing, which did seem like a huge slap in the face for people who consider girls to be their father's chattel until marriage.

So I don't remember the names, but I thought it was gross that the husband with the two younger wives stays in his bed and they come to him for their nights, he has sex with them in the same bed at different times. It is my understanding that usually the wives stay put and he comes to them. I hope the wife who's turn is ending changes the sheets. I wonder if he uses different lube bottles with the different wives. Maybe they have their own "Toy" drawer in his room. That arrangement just icks me out, much more than the man moving between the wives rooms.

So I don't remember the names, but I thought it was gross that the husband with the two younger wives stays in his bed and they come to him for their nights, he has sex with them in the same bed at different times. It is my understanding that usually the wives stay put and he comes to them. I hope the wife who's turn is ending changes the sheets. I wonder if he uses different lube bottles with the different wives. Maybe they have their own "Toy" drawer in his room. That arrangement just icks me out, much more than the man moving between the wives rooms.

I agree with the "ick factor." But in the end they all are sharing one guy regardless of which bed he is "sleeping" in.

The whole subject of sharing a husband is "ick" to me. I am reminded of the Big Love episode where Frank gave Bill's mom a VD that caused dementia. It makes me wonder how real these plot lines could be for a polygamous family. :shock:

sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com has the HBO Vice episode posted about the "Lost Boys." I encourage anyone interested to check it out. It was unique because it shows "boys" that have been exiled still living in the polygamous community.

That weirded me out as well. I cant imagine being pregnant or recently pregnant and having to move to another room just to see my husband. That shit is just skeezy... he should go to them!

If I remember correctly, some do not list the father on the birth certificates. It is listed as unknown. Sisterwives Blog talks about this alot in the comments section. Apparently, it is known as "bleeding the beast."

Perhaps someone else can explain it better? ;)

They still make you tell them, depending on what aid you get. And they can force you into going after him for child support orders if you want cash asst and sometimes Medicaid. It isn't quite as easy as it sounds. At least in the three states I've lived in.

If you're trying to hide from an abusive asshole, too bad, unless you have an understanding worker AND manager.

Was Rose Marie the one who was shone making pizza with her mom? She is....unfortunate looking, she looks like she has Down's syndrome except that when she speaks it is obvious that she doesn't. Still, she has the round face and bulging eyes. I was wondering what would happen if she told Hyrum that the Lord had given her the sign that they were to wed? Would he say, "Okie dokie"?

The more I think about it, the more I think the idea that the women choose their mates is a whopping big lie. I think that most people equate polygamy with women being dominated and oppressed by the patriarchy and maybe this line of bullshit is their attempt to pretend otherwise. I know that the FLDS are not above lying if that suits their purpose. I noticed that Isiah (the young husband) had two "modern" looking wives who both dressed in figure-revealing clothes and had modern hairstyles. I wonder what would happen if one of the dowdy fundy girls in a frumper and uncut hair and no make up offered herself. I have an idea that the Isiah family would not welcome that.

Also the lie that the women do the choosing makes the idea that Hyrum is single more palatable to the average viewer. Poor Hyrum! Maybe if he proves himself with his "missionary work" (i.e. garbage collecting for the town) some young lady will chose to smile upon him. He is so obviously champing at the bit to get married, I think he said something about not even caring who his wife to be was? This is complete nonsense, a guy this sexy and nobody has chosen him yet?! The truth is that it is the elders of the town who have decided he is not ready to get married. Who knows how they decide which men get to be married and which ones must forever be single. It is probably based more on connections and loyalty rather than messages from God.

This is completely superficial of me, but I couldn't believe how old Arthur's wives looked. The stress of this lifestyle and the toll frequent pregnancies take on a woman's body were written clearly on these women's faces. Living with that strident and intimidating man would age me.

Within certain limitations, some women in certain settlements were able to choose the men they wanted, but we're talking like years ago. Nowadays, particularly in settlements like the FLDS, somebody else has the "revelation" for the women, and tells them who they are supposed to marry.

Irene Spencer covers this in her book 'Shattered Dreams.' As a young girl in her polygamous community, something like 12 different men had revelations that she was supposed to be their next wife. She wondered why, if God truly wanted her to marry one of them, he didn't just save everyone the trouble and give her the revelation instead. :) Irene was expected to marry and live polygamy, but in the end, she chose the man she wanted, Verlan LeBaron. This was in the 1950s.

On the flip side of this, Dorothy Allred Solomon, daughter of Rulon Allred (naturopathic doctor and leader of the Apostolic United Brethren polygamous group), mentions in her novel 'Predators, Kinfolk and Other Prey' that Rulon married at least two women who didn't appeal to him. They came to him and begged for his hand in marriage. He agreed because both women were widowed and thought it was his responsibility to ensure their salvation by living the principle. With both women, I believe this occurred the late 1970s.

I haven't seen Polygamy USA yet, but based on all the accounts I've read about modern day polygamous cults, it's not likely these women are getting to choose the men they want, unless the group is more progressive.

"I'm reserving judgment on the show for now. It felt off to me, like they're were trying way too hard to come across as being more mainstream than they actually are."

I agree. And I think it will become more apparent as the series go on. In the Lisa Ling special, they seemed much more mainstream--girls' basketball team playing out of towners and being highly competitive, woman leaving her husband, Friday-night dances at which it was intimated that young people could get to know one another and women could get to hang out with different people in case of them was god's chosen mate. etc. Then in the next installment we see young men "missionaries" doing slave work for the town under supervision so that they can "prove themselves," a 19-year-old girl saying she could be called to marry a 70-year-old man), and at Hyram's mothers funeral, the women weren't just wearing white, like white versions of the modern dress the hotty wives wore on their date, they were all wearing the identical fundie Mormon white prairie dress.

As with the Browns' "we're just folks like you, so legalize us, please," this is likely to backfire the longer it goes on.

There is a new clip of the show on National Geographic’s website:

channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/polygamy-usa/videos/boys-vs-girls/ .

Rosemary, explains her responsibilities as the first daughter in the family. ( Basically she is just like a Duggar daughter. Except she is allowed out (at least for filming) with a friend). Rosemary and her friend go to the boys basketball tournament where Hyram is playing.

Hyram says it is nice the ladies have come out to watch them play. (IDK, but I can’t see Rosemary and Hyram together.) Rosemary says its good to go to events where she feels “awkward†because one day she will have to immerse herself in the things her husband enjoys.

I have not watched the next new clip... its about PERSECUTION! (Ugh, I guess it was obvious they would cover the topic.)

channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/polygamy-usa/videos/teresa-on-persecution/

Tonight's episode is about a "victorian era themed dance!" I wonder if doug phillips is a tool would approve!

Was Rose Marie the one who was shone making pizza with her mom? She is....unfortunate looking, she looks like she has Down's syndrome except that when she speaks it is obvious that she doesn't. Still, she has the round face and bulging eyes. I was wondering what would happen if she told Hyrum that the Lord had given her the sign that they were to wed? Would he say, "Okie dokie"?

Going a little OT to say that I found her looks to be unique but appealing.

Tonight's episode is about a "victorian era themed dance!" I wonder if doug phillips is a tool would approve!

If the Tool was more interested in women you can bet he'd be promoting biblical polygamy. As his tastes run in a different direction, he promotes internships and male mentoring instead.

Did anybody watch last nights episode? I missed it but will watch it tonight on the DVR. I am not sure why I am so eager to watch this series. I think it might be because it is more refreshing then 19KAC and Sisterwives.

This is completely superficial of me, but I couldn't believe how old Arthur's wives looked. The stress of this lifestyle and the toll frequent pregnancies take on a woman's body were written clearly on these women's faces. Living with that strident and intimidating man would age me.

Seriously. I was doing mental gymnastics to try to determine which of them could have possibly birthed the little toddler he was fawning over (which also felt very forced and faked to me). Maybe he has a younger wife who I was assuming to be a daughter, though.

Archived