THANK YOU, Mrs., for the link! Kudos on finding it!! I read every word, very interesting and honest. I really like Maureen, and her family. Wonder who the other 2 people from CP who were answering questions were?

I don't recall anyone named Maureen on the show. Are you referring to Marlene? I know in the last episode she was advocating with two other women at some forum I think they were sisters (biological not sister wives) .

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hat's true in a lot of societies, but I doubt a lot of CP men are dying in war. Still, I could see it working out if, as she says, most people are monogamous. Since women are more likely to stay religious (and this is true not just in polygamy), there would be a slight shift in the sex ratio. Someone also pointed out that men marrying women from a younger generation could make polygamy sustainable.

A bunch of smoke and mirrors. The male to female ratio is the weakest part of of their religion and their Achilles heel. I've been told that there are more females in CP because there are more females born (not true.) The idea that "men killed in war" (I doubt a single CP resident has been killed in war) and "men in prison" (if there are CP residents in prison, it can't be a significant amount) will correct the imbalance is ludicrous. Even if 5% of the men in CP go to prison at some point, is Marleen suggesting that they will never marry? Two years in the pokey for a bar room brawl and you must forever stay single?

As far as the idea that more women stay in the religion, I've never heard of a man leaving his polygamous family; I have heard of many women leaving (including one of Arthur's wives.)

I sincerely doubt that most people in CP are monogamous and intend to stay that way because they are taught that the only way for a man to attain his own celestial kingdom is to have at least 3 wives and the only way for women to attain celestial paradise is through their husband. There may be many monogamous couples due to a scarcity of extra wives but I would be willing to bet that all of the Brethern and all of their kin have multiple wives as a sign of their power and position.

Men marrying women from a younger generation does not solve the problem either as a few minutes thought will show you. If the 18 year old girls are marrying 30 year old men then the 18 year old boys will have to wait longer to get married but there will always be a 50/50 ratio of men to women and delaying marriage for one sex isn't going to solve the problem.

Granted, Wikipedia is not without error, but:

the current world wide sex ratio at birth is 107 boys to 100 girls,[2] though during the late 1990s there was concern that the ratio of males to females was declining too rapidly.[3] In 2010, the global adult sex ratio was 986 females per 1,000 males and trended to reduce to 984 in 2011.[4]

As far as the idea that more women stay in the religion, I've never heard of a man leaving his polygamous family; I have heard of many women leaving (including one of Arthur's wives.)

It would probably be younger, unmarried men leaving (or getting kicked out like the FLDS do), as I imagine it is unusual to leave your whole family (and a man with multiple lives would have a lot more family to leave than a woman). Anyway, hearing more stories about women leaving doesn't mean that more women leave. I don't know statistics for CP, but most religions have more women than men, and this is particularly true in mainstream Mormonism. http://blog.beliefnet.com/mormoninquiry ... r-gap.html

Obviously this isn't why they practice polygamy; they're just looking for excuses to say it works. Like I said, CP isn't one of the societies where polygyny would work due to a high number of men dying in war. Polygyny can be somewhat sustainable--it's been practiced in most cultures for most of history, and is very common in nature--but I don't think it works anymore.

Granted, Wikipedia is not without error, but:

the current world wide sex ratio at birth is 107 boys to 100 girls,[2] though during the late 1990s there was concern that the ratio of males to females was declining too rapidly.[3] In 2010, the global adult sex ratio was 986 females per 1,000 males and trended to reduce to 984 in 2011.[4]

Veering off topic - but that sex ratio at birth is troubling. I was always under the impression that their were more live births of females, as more males tended to be lost to miscarriage and stillbirth. Does this mean that there are enough abortions for sex selection to throw off the sex ratio ?

Veering off topic - but that sex ratio at birth is troubling. I was always under the impression that their were more live births of females, as more males tended to be lost to miscarriage and stillbirth. Does this mean that there are enough abortions for sex selection to throw off the sex ratio ?

I was wondering that too. I thought that there were more boys born, but that higher mortality rates of men evened the ratio out. China and India together are about 1/3 of the world's population; maybe they are skewing the numbers? This wikipedia page is an interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio and this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... _sex_ratio is helpful as well. Overall in the US there are more women than men, and it seems like that's true in most of the world, with plenty of exceptions. The Faroe Islands has a higher ratio for adults than China, which really surprised me. It's really interesting to sort by the ratio at different ages, and there are a lot of surprises. For under 15, it's Bermuda that has the highest ratio with 2.00, followed by India and China at 1.23 and 1.17. At birth, it's China, Armenia, then India. No countries have more female babies born than male babies. It looks like Russia doesn't have very many old men, and I wonder what's going on with the Northern Mariana Islands to have so many more adult women than adult men.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recall anyone named Maureen on the show. Are you referring to Marlene? I know in the last episode she was advocating with two other women at some forum I think they were sisters (biological not sister wives) .

Oops! Yes, I absolutely DO mean Maureen!

Whew! I just purchased, and watched, the whole season on Amazon! I am obsessed with these people! Please please can we have season 2??

Rose Marie. Such a sweet, kind girl. I agree with someone earlier who said she has a unique beauty. With hair, make-up, waxing, etc, she'd be beautiful in anyone's eyes, I think. I SO hope she gets to marry a young guy and not some gross old man. :( I'm worried for her!

I also like Connie. She seems to have some backbone and personality. Rose, the first wife, is also appealing to me. She just seems so kind.

The dynamic between Becca and Marlene is fascinating. Sometimes they are so flat with each other. I just can't get a good read.

Kelli. I just don't know about her and Hyrum. She's so giggly! I hope they are happy. Surely in time she'll loosen up with him.

eta: I've seen mentions of their facebook pages, but searching brings me up empty. Can someone post links or is that a no-no? If it is, can someone tell me what to search to find them?

Oops! Yes, I absolutely DO mean Maureen!

Have you ever had one of those moments where you think that you are thinking one thing, but it turns out you're thinking something else? Now that you are as confused as I was, let me re-correct (is that even a word?) myself;

Yes, I was talking about Marleen. There is no Maureen on Polygamy USA, as we all well know. Durh!!!

So I found a link to the official show page on tvwop. Apparently the cast was answering questions and interacting, but it appears to have been deleted. Anyone know what's up? Also I found Hyrum and RoseMarie and others, but it's all pretty locked down.

• 4 months later...

I am fascinated by this show. Love all the characters! There simply MUST be a season 2. They'd have to be filming now right? There is news to be shared, gosh darn it. Does anyone know? :think:

• 1 month later...

My friend text me about the show's marathon on today and I rewatched an episode or two. I wonder if poor RoseMarie has a beau?

Srsly. No one wants to talk fundamental mormon polygamist with me. So sad.

I want to know if there will be another season & if Rose Marie was matched by the elders. Or if any of the wives are pregnant.

• 1 month later...

This finally just aired over here - last episode is on next week, but here (Australia) the series was called "Men With Many Wives" and was on the Nat Geo channel on Foxtel. I didn't realise this thread was here, or I would have posted it's start date for any other Aussie FJ'ers :(

Interesting show though - hope theres another series :) Also, I am sure I read somewhere that just to complicate matters further, Kellie (Hyrum's giggly bride) and Isaiah (Marleen and Becca's husband) were related - brother and sister I think....

Edit: Cos I really can spell..

Srsly. No one wants to talk fundamental mormon polygamist with me. So sad.

I will! I'd be happy to share my fundamental Mormon polygamist reading list with you, sockiemom. It's pretty long at this point, and there are some interesting books I've read on the subject. :D

For me is crazy that a law like that can exist without being inconstitucional,i mean is not goverment bussiness if a person have lovers or whatever, if they are not legally married. And then people talk about how much freedom they have with the gun laws and other things compared to europe :roll:

Lots of places have laws against how many unrelated people can live together--some are left over from old "boarding house" or "houses of ill repute" laws. Many people are working to overturn these laws because they are ripe for being used irregularly against some people and not others, depending on neighbors and mood. However, others argue that it is one thing to have a household with mom and dad and granny and 11 kids vs having a household with 14 college students or other unrelated adults living next door as far as traffic, parking, etc. This can also limit halfway houses, etc, though those are usually seen as businesses, I think.

ehocstl.org/acrobatdocs/RealFamiliesCampaign.pdf

stopstealthdorms.com/background/q-a/

In other polygamy news, Rebecca Musser, author of "The Witness Wore Red" will be on Dr. Phil next week confronting her flds father.

In other polygamy news, Rebecca Musser, author of "The Witness Wore Red" will be on Dr. Phil next week confronting her flds father.

:pink-shock:

Thanks for this! I will be waiting in anxious anticipation for this episode.

:popcorn2:

Archived