Sister Wives Blog (sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com) has posted a link to a new show call "Polygamy USA." It begins May 7th.

According to National Geographic:

Today, there are roughly 1,500 men, women and children building a town for themselves and their future families in Centennial Park. They are ready to share and defend their lifestyle – a lifestyle they passionately declare a choice – to the American public, and hoping to disprove misconceptions along the way.

(channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/polygamy-usa/videos/building-a-kingdom/)

I know I will be DVRing this series. (Also, I was watching HBO's VICE over the weekend and they were "teasing" next weeks episode. It is about the Lost Boys. But I cannot find a link to the preview.)

{fixed wording}

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited to see it - I watched Lisa Ling's documentary on this group and wanted to know more.

And IIRC, one of the Darger girls married into this group (the family that visits Kody and the Kodettes).

I'm excited to see it - I watched Lisa Ling's documentary on this group and wanted to know more.

And IIRC, one of the Darger girls married into this group (the family that visits Kody and the Kodettes).

Yes, I think you are right, PhiMuLady.

I have read on Sister Wives Blog, that father Darger was not too excited about his daughter marrying into a more conservative sect. This show is bound to be more interesting then the TLC version.

I remember in Ling's documentary that the third wife of the middle aged teacher (the student who received a testimony that she was to marry him when she was 12? 13?) had left with her toddler because of conflict with one of the other two wives. Reading the info on the new series, it looks like she is back with the family.

I remember the contrast between the two families she profiled - the teacher/3 wives were more fundamentalist-looking than the younger guy with two wives, who dressed more modern and seemed to genuinely like each other. Teacher Man's family looked like it would have fit in well at YFZ.

I read over at SWB and am so hard core I'm even going to Vegas to stalk do research on the Browns with a group from SWB. I set my DVR and am going to buy some popcorn at the store to nibble while that older man scares the heck out of me. Seriously, he's intimidating. Can't wait to see this. :popcorn2:

I read SWB too!!

Wait, so one of Joe Darger's daughters married into the Centennial Park group? :? Eeek.

I don't think we get NatGeo , bummer because this looks good. Maybe hulu will have it.

I'm excited! I seem to have a huge weakness for polygamists. I will watch absolutely anything related to polygamy; it's fascinating to me.

Woo hoo! Happy to have found some others fascinated by polygamy. I read at SWB, too. I want to know more about the Dargers. The Browns give me heartburn with all of their financial decisions.

Lisa LIng did a special on this group and they were pretty interesting, and a lot less obnoxious than the Kody Brown family, at least from what they showed. Given what NatGeo did to the Hutterites, though, I don't have high hopes for this.

:popcorn2: Not going to lie, I am pretty excited for the premier tonight! I really hope the show is the complete opposite of TLC's Sister Wives.

Can I go off the track for a moment to ask a question about Brown family?

Why were they afraid of the government knowing they were polygamy wifes if Kody only is legally married to one wife? Also I read about the 1950s (I think) group of polygamy mormon men who were put in jail for having all the wifes. If they legally married to only one, why does the government care that they live with lots of more women and call them wifes?? Cant some one live with as many women as they want (or men, too) in US?

Why were they afraid of the government knowing they were polygamy wifes if Kody only is legally married to one wife? Also I read about the 1950s (I think) group of polygamy mormon men who were put in jail for having all the wifes. If they legally married to only one, why does the government care that they live with lots of more women and call them wifes?? Cant some one live with as many women as they want (or men, too) in US?

Oil, they weren't really afraid at all. It seems it was an act, and the public bought it. They knew they weren't going to be prosecuted for polygamy, but there have been questions about welfare fraud. So that seems to be what they were afraid of. The state of Utah doesn't actively seek out polygamists to prosecute because the deem that to be a waste of public funds. But they will nail a mfer for welfare fraud, statutory rape, abuse et al. It's illegal to live with and present more than one person as a spouse. Mistresses and hookers are cool though. Don't ask me why; I don't know. I think the whole polygamy system is simply insane and dysfunctional. The Darger family puts a nice and pretty coat of icing on a poop cake.

Actually they cannot. In Utah, they have bigamy and cohabitation laws that are designed to prevent and prosecute polygamy. Even if a man is legally married to one life and spiritually married to others, this is not allowed. Utah has specific laws about the number of unrelated adults living together. So techinically the Browns were in violation of this law. You do not have to be legally married to more than one person in order to be prosecuted. This is why the polygamists feel persecuted, because they should be able to practice their religion, which includes spiritual marriages and cohabitation. They want polygamy to at least be decriminalized, that way polygamists wont have to live in such secrecy.

It's ok for Hugh Hefner to live with multiple girlfriends but its not ok for an FLDS man to live with multiple consenting spiritual wives. I've always thought that was odd.

And yes, welfare is a big part of it. These spiritual wives can be considered single mothers and collect benefits. We know that the Browns did this.

It's ok for Hugh Hefner to live with multiple girlfriends but its not ok for an FLDS man to live with multiple consenting spiritual wives. I've always thought that was odd.

And yes, welfare is a big part of it. These spiritual wives can be considered single mothers and collect benefits. We know that the Browns did this.

Hef has been pretty responsible for the children that he has produced, and has a very small number of them- four total, two born in the 1950's, two born in the 1990's. He's not out there collecting benefits for 17 kids. Instead, he's adding jobs to the community- his "girlfriends" are paid a generous salary to live in the mansion, plus all the staff and hangers on that he employs.

Actually they cannot. In Utah, they have bigamy and cohabitation laws that are designed to prevent and prosecute polygamy. Even if a man is legally married to one life and spiritually married to others, this is not allowed. Utah has specific laws about the number of unrelated adults living together. So techinically the Browns were in violation of this law. You do not have to be legally married to more than one person in order to be prosecuted. This is why the polygamists feel persecuted, because they should be able to practice their religion, which includes spiritual marriages and cohabitation. They want polygamy to at least be decriminalized, that way polygamists wont have to live in such secrecy.

For me is crazy that a law like that can exist without being inconstitucional,i mean is not goverment bussiness if a person have lovers or whatever, if they are not legally married. And then people talk about how much freedom they have with the gun laws and other things compared to europe :roll:

I have no problem at all with polygamy, as long as everyone is of age and consenting. Doesnt matter whether its one man and two women, one woman and three men, two women and two men, three gay men...any possible combination of genders.

The only thing that we need to work out is how divorce would work-what if one person of the three in the marriage wants to divorce someone, but the other one doesnt want to divorce them?

I watched parts of this last night. It was very disturbing on so many levels. This community is like a little kingdom. Not sure who I felt most sorry for, the unmarried young men who have to wait their 'turn' to marry or the delusional women who buy into the whole polygamy idea as normal.

I watched parts of this last night. It was very disturbing on so many levels. This community is like a little kingdom. Not sure who I felt most sorry for, the unmarried young men who have to wait their 'turn' to marry or the delusional women who buy into the whole polygamy idea as normal.

And also have to wait for a woman to feel that she's being led to marry a particular one. Do these young men have no say once they're 'chosen?' If they decline, are they saying no to God? :?

I don't know what to think of it all. I'll definitely be watching next week, though.

I must confess I felt a little defrauded--Hyrum was hawt.

Once you take away the religion part, I can see why polygamy appeals to some women. It's built in help raising your kids. It's extra money coming into the household- if you are like the Browns and the women work. Honestly, I have times in my life where I'd like to tell my husband to go stay with another wife for a day or two. But then rational thought resumes, and I know that I'd never be comfortable with the thought of my husband having sex with another woman and having kids with another woman while I was still married to him.

I missed last nights episode because I was not feeling well.

Do you think these families will suffer from the "reality" television curse? We have seen it happen to other families like 'John and Kate Plus 8' and The Browns from 'Sisterwives.'

Is the focus on the parents or are the children featured as well? I always feel sad for children on "reality" television because they have no choice in participating.

I watched the show, and I'm only hoping they don't do what they did to the Hutterites. One person I do feel sorry for is that one son of the person in charge of the unmarried men who obviously doesn't want to be a polygamist and has a girlfriend outside of the cult which are 2 rules violations. While the community leaders do claim people have a choice to become polygamists, there's still intense pressure for them to conform or face shunning.

Archived