IGNORED

RIP George Jones

roddma

Imo, He Stopped Loving Her Today was the best country song ever.

roddma, have you ever read Tammy Wynette's (spelling?) autobiography? If not, you must. She has some great George Jones stories there. Hopefully it is still in print. I'm going to find a copy and re-read it myself.

they don't make them like that anymore...legends like Waylon and merle and George sang about real problems and issues. now it's starlets sing about white dresses and cowboy prince charming lotharios every other song...the songs are generic :| he closest to the old singers are George straight , alan Jackson and reba mccentire.

Imo, He Stopped Loving Her Today was the best country song ever.

roddma, have you ever read Tammy Wynette's (spelling?) autobiography? If not, you must. She has some great George Jones stories there. Hopefully it is still in print. I'm going to find a copy and re-read it myself.

No sounds interesting. It was believed Tammy was related to us but no one has ever confirmed that. Her birth name was Virginia Wynette Pugh. I agree about teh generic country songs today. So many are wannabes sound alike.

His music was hotter than a $2 pistol for sure. I second the point that the music was about real people and real problems. It was also about real talent in the days before auto tune.

I've often wondered what sing alongs at old folks homes and seniors events will be like in several decades. My exended family is very musical and 50's to early 80's country music is always popular at these events, but in the future I can't imagine 70, 80 and 90-year olds "singing" gangsta rap or hip hop and beat boxing.

they don't make them like that anymore...legends like Waylon and merle and George sang about real problems and issues. now it's starlets sing about white dresses and cowboy prince charming lotharios every other song...the songs are generic :| he closest to the old singers are George straight , alan Jackson and reba mccentire.

Absolutely. I like a few newer artists, but none of them compare to the greats that you mentioned.

Archived