IGNORED

Chilean Cult Sacrifices Baby

lemurknits

I saw this a few minutes ago and was just horrified.

ETA: I hadn't read the whole story (on Raw Story, I think) and did not realize it was probably his own child. The baby's mother gave her blessing. WHAT. THE. FUCK!! I think I might be sick.

I haven't seen a news story that's made me actually physically retch like this in a long time :( That poor baby.

And how the hell do you decide that a three day old baby is the anti-Christ? Isn't the anti-Christ supposed to be born of a jackal (at least according to The Omen)?

Do these people know what freakin' year this is??? really!!! WTF is wrong with some people :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :angry-banghead: :cray-cray:

Do these people know what freakin' year this is??? really!!! WTF is wrong with some people :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :angry-banghead: :cray-cray: :angry-banghead: :cray-cray:

Sounds like a good, old fashion case of he didn't want the baby, and he decided to get rid of his "problem" under the cloak of religion. Being born with the inability to empathize just made it easier for him. It is for cases like this guy that the expression "Some people just need killing" was developed.

Even more crazy is that this could possibly be a more cultist version of heaven's gate if they haven't murdered the poor baby girl.

I'm surprised they thought a girl could be the Anti-Christ.

I was surprised by this too. :evil-eye: They're disgusting excuses for human beings, but at least they don't discriminate? :angry-banghead: I've lost a few hundred points on the "faith in humanity" scale. ETA: Agreeing with prior post, this was probably the sick fuck's version of the easy way out of parenthood. Not enough swear words in the English language to express my disgust.

The NBC piece said "Everyone in this sect was a professional," Ampuero said. "We have someone who was a veterinarian and who worked as a flight attendant, we have a filmmaker, a draftsman. Everyone has a university degree. "

That makes it scarier to me - highly educated, professional men and women being conned into something so terrible.... I foolishly, stereotypically thought this had to be "peasants" or simple people.

What do you have to do to a mother to make her allow her newborn to be tortured to death?

This just brings out the Hulk in me. Makes me so angry. God have mercy. That poor baby. FUCK THEM.

ETA short sentences cause I'm so mad :pull-hair:

I'm holding my two week old baby while reading this...I want to cry...omg those people...there are no words... :cry:

I did cry. Then I cuddled my sleeping one year old.

I think the 2 most horrifying things are how they did it & that the mother allowed it or even participated.

http://gawker.com/cult-leader-on-the-run-after-sacrificing-baby-for-being-482746088

A Chilean cult sacrificed a baby because they thought it was the Anti-Christ. How utterly disgusting.

Authorities said the 12-member sect was formed in 2005 and was led by Ramon Gustavo Castillo Gaete, 36, who remains at large.

"Everyone in this sect was a professional," Ampuero said. "We have someone who was a veterinarian and who worked as a flight attendant, we have a filmmaker, a draftsman. Everyone has a university degree. "

I gather hallucenogenics mixed with religion will trump being middle class...

The NBC piece said "Everyone in this sect was a professional," Ampuero said. "We have someone who was a veterinarian and who worked as a flight attendant, we have a filmmaker, a draftsman. Everyone has a university degree. "

That makes it scarier to me - highly educated, professional men and women being conned into something so terrible.... I foolishly, stereotypically thought this had to be "peasants" or simple people.

What do you have to do to a mother to make her allow her newborn to be tortured to death?

I'm not going to read the article, because it sounds horrific. But I'm wondering why people would think that "peasants or simple people" would be any more likely to do something so terrible compared to the educated professionals ? I don't see how education, status, or income would enter into something like this ? Certainly torturing an infant as a sacrifice isn't part of any groups normal pattern of behavior - and is so far outside the norm that your place in society would seem to be irrelevant.

I'm not going to read the article, because it sounds horrific. But I'm wondering why people would think that "peasants or simple people" would be any more likely to do something so terrible compared to the educated professionals ? I don't see how education, status, or income would enter into something like this ? Certainly torturing an infant as a sacrifice isn't part of any groups normal pattern of behavior - and is so far outside the norm that your place in society would seem to be irrelevant.

Because education is supposed to include helping people recognize that tossing a virgin into a volcano won't appease some god somewhere and make things better for the society or group. Part of the Fundie anti education issue is that the evil science lessons will make people less likely to believe as strongly in the Fundie dogma. Didn't we have a thread earlier that had Pat Robertson making the point that the people in the USA were too educated to get as many miracles.

Because education is supposed to include helping people recognize that tossing a virgin into a volcano won't appease some god somewhere and make things better for the society or group. Part of the Fundie anti education issue is that the evil science lessons will make people less likely to believe as strongly in the Fundie dogma. Didn't we have a thread earlier that had Pat Robertson making the point that the people in the USA were too educated to get as many miracles.

I didn't mean to denigrate "peasants" since I am basically one generation off the land myself but yes, I suppose that people who have more magical thinking (whether they are actual peasants or just superstitious mid-westerners or whatever) can more easily be persuaded of nonsense like "this baby is the anti-christ and we should burn her to death". I guess a lot of people here would think my own thinking was pretty magical since I am a Catholic, but if someone told me their baby was the anti-christ and had to be burned, I have enough education and have been taught how to think rationally, so I would know that it couldn't be true. It scares me that people who have been to university and been given a full, good education can fall for this utter shit and that because of that a little child was so barbarically murdered.

I didn't mean to denigrate "peasants" since I am basically one generation off the land myself but yes, I suppose that people who have more magical thinking (whether they are actual peasants or just superstitious mid-westerners or whatever) can more easily be persuaded of nonsense like "this baby is the anti-christ and we should burn her to death". I guess a lot of people here would think my own thinking was pretty magical since I am a Catholic, but if someone told me their baby was the anti-christ and had to be burned, I have enough education and have been taught how to think rationally, so I would know that it couldn't be true. It scares me that people who have been to university and been given a full, good education can fall for this utter shit and that because of that a little child was so barbarically murdered.

It is one GIGANTIC leap to go from "magical thinking" to burning up your baby ! That has 0 to do with education and everything to do with being sucked into something evil. It isn't about knowledge it's about basic human compassion, which is completely unrelated to education. I am always surprised by the depths of snobbery and classism that pop up here.

Germany had the most educated population in Europe at the midpoint of the 20th century, and large numbers of its educated elite participated in industrial genocide.

Mao was an atheist and his policies slaughtered millions of Chinese in the Great Leap Forward.

Education and atheism are not vaccines against barbarity.

Archived