IGNORED

Horrible Thrift/Mommyblogger Neglects Her Injured Dog

Shasta ODonegal

allthingsthrifty.com/2013/04/i-cried-over-my-dog.html

This woman (and her horrid crotchfruit "Creed") are so evil, I can't help but wonder if she's fundie.

She's deleting and backpedaling as fast as she can.

I saw this on GOMI. My first visit and I'm ragey already. Go me. ::sigh::

allthingsthrifty.com/2013/04/i-cried-over-my-dog.html

This is an easier way to break the link.

I don't believe she called the vet and was told to just wait. A child jumped from high up onto the dog's back and it was obvious her back legs were hurt bad. That poor dog. At least it has pain medication now.

"A few days after the incident, we took her to the vet. She most likely has a cranial crucial ligament tear {which is the equivalent to a human tearing his/her ACL}."

That poor dog had to be in so much pain. I just cannot imagine something that horrible happening and not demanding my dog be seen.

When someone is blogging a story like that and leaves out essential information like "we called the vet and they said to wait", until after people act horrified, it is usually made up. That is something you would include in the story when you are first telling it, not adding later to make it look like you didn't neglect an injured dog.

I sent a link to a friend who is a vet. Her response was if Brooke is telling the truth and the dog was crawling, her first thought would be to tell her to bring the dog in to be checked for spinal injury.

FWIW, she noted that two years is plenty old enough to understand the need to be gentle with small animals (and big ones, too!) The fact that this creature posing as a human mother refer to whatever the hell "Creed" is as "WreckitRalph" points to the possibility that she is one of those eye-rolly sighers who shrugs everything off as "boys will be boys."

Brooke and Creed both fail in the compassion department. I hope they return to their home planet soon.

edited for riffles

Can accidents like this happen? Sure, no question, but if this were my child and my dog, I sure as hell would be busy taking my dog to the vet and disciplining/education my child to be sure it never happened again. I certainly wouldn't be blogging about it and asking for sympathy.

I love all of the comments supporting her that refer to a whole bunch of negative comments that were deleted. God forbid anyone actually hold her accountable, and suuure you called the vet first thing. I love revisionist history... :evil-eye:

If her dog has torn a ligament, the poor thing is going to need more than pain meds... My mother, a retired teacher living on a fixed income, paid for her cairn terrier to have her ACL repaired... It was not cheap, but it was neccessary for the dog's quality of life!

If the two year old doesn't know to be gentle with an animal, that is a sign that the mom is not doing her job. Empathy and caring for animals is a lesson all parents who are pet owners teach their children. We do not want the child to inadvertently hurt the pet and we don't want the pet to hurt the child out of fear or pain. That's just responsible parenting/pet-ownership...

What kind of vet did they call that didn't want to see the dog right away?

In the comments

How unfortunate that people attacked you during this time. People can be so ugly. Sometimes, with a pet, just like with a kid, you never really know the right actions to take and if it’s as serious as you think it is. Let’s be honest here, a phone call first, instead of rushing to the emergency vet, which may end up costing a pretty penny unecessarily, is sometimes the better option. We all need to realize that and not be so hasty to judge.

Um, no, it's pretty easy to tell if an injury is serious on a pet. Animals hide their pain, as a means to avoid becoming prey. So if an animal is visibly in pain, limping, crawling, dragging part of its body, or expressing pain through pitiful meows and whines, something is wrong and they should go to the vet. Not a hard concept. If you can't afford medical care for your pet, you probably shouldn't have taken on that responsibility.

I sent a link to a friend who is a vet. Her response was if Brooke is telling the truth and the dog was crawling, her first thought would be to tell her to bring the dog in to be checked for spinal injury.

When I was growing up, our Dacshund got a spinal cord injury (not because anyone jumped on him, the breed is just prone to spinal issues) and one of the first symptoms was that he started crawling instead of walking. That poor dog. I somehow doubt any vet would recommend just waiting and letting the dog suffer without giving him anything for pain.

What the actual fuck.

I have a cat that is built like a tank and probably migrated to Earth from another planet. I imagine him surviving a nuclear winter and taking down radioactive elk on which to feast. That said, if he so much as hurt a toe, I would be AT the vet in 3 minutes flat. Not on the phone with one, AT the actual office. Whenever I go away, I leave a blank signed check next to the vet's number on my fridge for that very reason - I always voice the expectation that if whoever's catsitting for me sees anything wrong with him at all, he is to be taken to the vet immediately and I don't care what it costs.

What the fuck kind of idiot child jumps on a dog?! Who the fuck has this woman raised?

We have a good-natured beagle mix and we also have a 2.5 year old. Since our daughter was old enough to crawl we've been reinforcing the concept of being gentle with pets. We involve her with the dog's care - she loves helping to feed the dog and holding a leash for walks (the dog is on a second leash held by one of us!). She loves animals of all kinds but especially her dog, and the dog loves her. The one thing we have to keep an eye on is that our dog is naturally submissive and won't get up and walk away if she's annoyed by the kid, so we keep an eye on it and if our daughter is over-excited or hugging the dog too much, we separate the two for a bit.

If a parent is doing their job, a child should never jump onto a pet's back from any height. NEVER. With a 2 year old either the parent hasn't taught the child to be kind to animals or isn't supervising the child/dog interactions properly. A "boys will be boys" attitude which allows a small child to be violent or harmful towards others is a really bad idea.

I agree with those who said she probably never called the vet right away - if she had, it would have been in the original blog post!

Not every pet injury requires urgent veterinary care but you always should call the vet for advice. About a year ago our dog jumped down hard from our back steps and was favoring a back leg. We called the vet, and the vet said to have her rest and give it 24-48 hours and if it was no better they'd see her. It didn't get better, so we brought her in and it was diagnosed as a mild sprain. The vet prescribed a short course of a doggie NSAID and the dog was back to normal in a few more days. Yeah, it cost us $100 and if we'd let it go longer it would have been fine on its own, but that was a small price to pay to know our dog was OK and to get her pain relief until the injury healed.

I don't blame the 2 year old. If he hasn't been taught any better then there is no way for him to know that would hurt the dog. The idiot mother, though, she should have taught her son to be gentle with animals and taken that poor dog to the vet.

I don't blame the kid either; two year olds are completely irresponsible. Even if they "know" something is wrong they might do it. Their impulse control and judgment is nil. I've had two boy two year olds....they are cuddly, sweet, loving, and 100% untrustworthy until they are older. Moms can't be everywhere at once, and accidents happen. But when they do you respond appropriately. That dog should've gone to the vet asap.

Archived