IGNORED

And the Duggar daughters' bedroom...

Rita

I watched the next section after the bedroom tour. It was the one of taking two year old Jordyn to the dentist. Jordyn needed x-rays for some reason and of course the MOTY was way off in the background having a conversation with someone in a lab coat. Jordyn was with either Jessa or Jinger when they were doing the x=rays. It looked like the x-rays were painful to the poor thing; she had tears in her eyes but didn't even whimper. It looks like the cry had been trained out of her already.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why aren"t there window treatments in either the girls' or boys' bedrooms? The bright sunshine must awaken the kids early; especially the boys who have no covers to pull over their heads!

I watched the next section after the bedroom tour. It was the one of taking two year old Jordyn to the dentist. Jordyn needed x-rays for some reason and of course the MOTY was way off in the background having a conversation with someone in a lab coat. Jordyn was with either Jessa or Jinger when they were doing the x=rays. It looked like the x-rays were painful to the poor thing; she had tears in her eyes but didn't even whimper. It looks like the cry had been trained out of her already.

I was wondering why a 2 year old was at the dentist like that at all... here, they don't start them until 3 years old, and even then it's a very slow, gentle, introduction to dental care. I don't think that little girl even understood the instructions they were giving her.

on a different note: I would have loved that bedroom as a kid.... siblings included.

Why do the girls have their beds made up nicely while the boys don't have any covers on theirs? I have a feeling that when we've seen them in their beds on the show the blankets have looked thin and mismatched. What, is having a comfortable and aesthetically pleasing sleeping space something only womenfolk should be worring about? And if I lived in that room I'd totally sneak into the loft at night and sleep there. It's not exactly private but at it would give a stressed jboy enough distance to relax IMO

A duvet would allow privacy for that thing which teenage boys do at any chance?

Flashback to when my little sister was about 7 and I was about 19 and she had an abscessed tooth--and my mother made me take her to the dentist to have it pulled. My mother treated it like any other errand, but I knew it was because she was too embarrassed that the cavity had gotten so bad, and knew the dentist would call her out on it.

Looking at the bedroom layouts, it looks to me like the Duggar's might have been surprised that they continued to have the last few girls.

The whole house is set up horribly for toddlers (that walkway !) ... but wouldn't they have set the bedrooms up to more comfortably fit a few more beds if they expected more kids (of either gender ) ? Or maybe they figured they would have married off more of the older kids as soon as they became adults.

What do they have to talk about "until the wee hours of the morning?" Their experiences are primarily shared so it's not like they are telling the others about the things they have been doing. Hopefully they are planning their escape.

I thought the same thing!

I think the do have lives, they're just trying to maintain appearances for the camera and in their speeches at churches and stuff.

Looking at the bedroom layouts, it looks to me like the Duggar's might have been surprised that they continued to have the last few girls.

The whole house is set up horribly for toddlers (that walkway !) ... but wouldn't they have set the bedrooms up to more comfortably fit a few more beds if they expected more kids (of either gender ) ? Or maybe they figured they would have married off more of the older kids as soon as they became adults.

Planning ahead is not really the parents' strong point.

I think this is one of the few times where the blame lies elsewhere ...

TLC brought a designer in to finish off the house. IIRC the final stages of the top floor where done in secret by the designer and her team. (The kids did have a say in what they wanted but I think limited experiences meant they really ended up with what the designer had already planned.) TLC filmed the family when they were first allowed upstairs to see their painted, decorated & furnished rooms.

Ok, Michelle & Jim Bob really should have lay down some instructions but the designer should also have seen that there would be a need for more beds. There was a baby girl (Hannie?) in a cot in Michelle's room when they moved in so they knew they were going to need at least one more bed in the girls room.

I don't think the designer bought or picked out the actual furniture. I'm pretty sure she only dealt with things like paint, window treatments, pillows, linens, and other accessories.

Jed said something similar about the boys talking in their room at night.

What could they possibly be talking about?

I remember reading an interview with one of the Everly Brothers years ago where he said he barely knew his brother because they never actually had anything to talk about. They spent so much of their days together, there was nothing left to talk about by dinner. Like conjoined twins, they had no separate external lives to share with each other.

I see the Duggar kids like this. When you factor in the tattle tale threat, what on earth could they possibly have to chat about?

Well, keep in mind that there are 19 bothers and sisters plus Anna and her kids, and sometimes Amy. They may spend all their time on the same property, but I doubt they spend all their time together. They could gossip about Anna or Amy. They could share stories of things they witnessed. Things like that. Even when my sister and I were basically forced to be glued at the hips on a very long tour of Europe and the Middle East, we still found stuff to talk about when we should have been sleeping.

Dunno about anyone else, but if I had a cousin like Amy, yeah, I'd be gossiping about her whenever the chance arose. Probably Anna, too.

But then, I guess I'm just a mean old sinful hag.

I don't think the designer bought or picked out the actual furniture. I'm pretty sure she only dealt with things like paint, window treatments, pillows, linens, and other accessories.

I assumed things like the 5 white beds were organised by designer and/or tlc. No evidence for this - I just made the assumption based on seeing the designer putting names on the beds and that they seemed too nice to be something Jim bob would have bought.

Why aren"t there window treatments in either the girls' or boys' bedrooms? The bright sunshine must awaken the kids early; especially the boys who have no covers to pull over their heads!

I've got to wonder about the qualityof the sleep they're getting. Lots of noise and people moving, possible bright early light, possibly two sharing a bed... could be another reason why some of them often look so exhausted.

Also all the getting up with littleys when younger too won't have helped there. Not as if mother dearest is doing it.

So have we counted enough beds for the girls then as I think they are short on one or two.

I've got to wonder about the qualityof the sleep they're getting. Lots of noise and people moving, possible bright early light, possibly two sharing a bed... could be another reason why some of them often look so exhausted.

Their room is similar to the sleeping porches I slept in while at college. Granted, we didn't have the babies, but drunken sisters crashing in at 2am still caused commotion. :D We just got used to it. Some learned to sleep through anything, others (like myself) wore ear plugs every night.

I think that the bedroom design was more the designer/TLC because I think that Michelle and Jim Bob would have purposefully created the room to have more kids/babies sleep there. Even if the much tried for newer babies were boys, they'd still sleep in the girls room for a few years to be close to their buddies. Then, M/JB probably figured the older boys would be out of the house allowing for any newer boys to move into the girls room.

Oh that "Duggars Moving In" episode where they decorate the TTH. So much snark value. It used to be on youtube but I can't find it anymore...

Some memorable moments:

1. TLC brought in a designer from New York City! Of course there were many comments like "We've never met a lady from NYC!"

2. A "friend" comes to help out - a lumberjack homophobic bear-type guy that Dim-Bulb had to mention several times was "Christian" - The man seemed very unhinged taking orders from a designer from NYC!

3. One of the JSlaves (I think it was Jinger) - suggested a "Little House on The Prairie" theme for the girls room....

4. ClownCar and DimBulb seemed to have been edited out quite a bit in this episode, the only comments seemed to be "We are not used to having NEW things - we always buy USED and save the difference!

5. At the end, JChelle reads the girls a bedtime story and leaves them to go to bed by saying "Good night girls I looove youuu" - in the most syrupy-sweet baby voice on record!

There's a weird corner in the boys' room that is cut out from the rest of the room. Also visible on the plan of the house and not labelled as anything, nor marked as having a door. Any ideas of what it could be? Not that that plan seems entirely accurate in any case - there is no door in to JB and JChelle's bedroom on the plan, and another weird unlabelled room in their room...

Another prayer closet that the parents dont know of, that not much praying goes on in?

There's a weird corner in the boys' room that is cut out from the rest of the room. Also visible on the plan of the house and not labelled as anything, nor marked as having a door. Any ideas of what it could be? Not that that plan seems entirely accurate in any case - there is no door in to JB and JChelle's bedroom on the plan, and another weird unlabelled room in their room...

I think the cutout in the boys room is where the slide/tunnel down to the playroom is located. With the way the roofline is designed, without a window dormer there would be limited headroom in that area so it makes sense that they would box it in and place the slide there.

pega127 wrote:

They have blocking blinds in all rooms for filming. The boys room originally had bandanas above the window for a sort of "Cowboy" theme. They may have died by now.

I think that the nook in Boob's and Michelle"s room is where they kept the baby's crib.

I always thought the names on the beds was a bad idea, even during the original TLC special when they had the designer. They already had Johannah when they decorated that room, so they knew they'd need at least 1 more bed. The double beds are kind of a dumb idea too. I mean, was the plan for Jana and Jill to take them with them, like a dowry?

If I were Jessa and Jinger, I'd be a little peeved that the older 2 get the double beds. And I admit, I got a double bed when I was about 14, and my younger sister never got one because her room was smaller. I have more sympathy for the Duggar girls than my own sister on this one. But I guess Jana and Jill probably share their beds with toddlers, which I wouldn't want either.

And that framed picture of Jim Bob on their dresser in the first shot, when he was about the same age that Jana and Jill are now, is totally squicky to me.

Archived