IGNORED

The Ultimate Fundie Reading List

Guest AudreyParker

I'd have to agree with the Poisonwood Bible from personal experience. I know the book isn't perfect and I've heard valid criticism of it but I remember I read it when I was starting to derail from fundieism. I remember reading about how they'd mistranslated Poisonwood and it just sparked the skepticism in my head about the Bible and the things I had already begun to start questioning.

Any nature or science book. I had these small pocketbook-size books when I was young that were fairly easy for young kids to read, or at least look at the pictures. Birds; Reptiles and Amphibians; Butterflies and Moths; Insects and Spiders; Rocks and Minerals; Stars, etc. There's also Audubon nature books which have great photos.

Those kids seriously need an understanding of nature, that gateway drug to art and science.

For Christian fundies, the Bible...since they don't seem to have the reading comprehension skills to actually understand it.

Children Just Like Me published by Dorling-Kindersley.

I love this book and am so glad to "hear" that someone else has read it! I had it as a kid and often wish that they'd publish a follow-up with the children profiled. There are particular children who really stuck out for me and I think about them pretty regularly. I hope that regardless of their circumstances, all of them ended up better off than their parents were, which is something I hope for all kids.

(And any FJers who are looking for an awesome kids' book, check this one out. It might be a little dated now but it really is an excellent book.)

Archived