IGNORED

The Bontragers

GeoBQn

A TWOP comment inspired me to search for the Bontragers featured on 19 Kids and Counting.

http://bontragerfamilysingers.com/Home.html

First of all, they live in Kalona, IA. I just moved to Iowa City, so I wonder if I'll ever run into them.

They quote an English translation of the Shema on their homepage, and they say that children Allison and Carson "celebrated their initiation into adulthood with their Bat-Mitzvah/Bar-Barakah blessing ceremonies in August." Bar-Barakah? I can't even venture to guess what that is.

They are having a "Turning Hearts Celebration" at their farm on Labor Day this year.

Not surprised they are ATI I think most of the Duggar family friends are. Are they fake Jews, though? That would be kind of strange for ATI, or at least in the past it would.

The only "friends" we'll ever see on the show will be ATI-approved. By that I mean aside from relatives or maybe a few locals.

The Bontragers were on the show before--we were treated to like idiots and forced to watch a bunch of Duggars struggle to pronounce their name....yawn.

That was quite possibly the most boring episode ever. Yeah, we get it, they have an unusual last name and your kids are too stupid to pronounce it. You don't need to spend 1/3 of the show's time on that fact. Show something interesting!

They were part of that subway "mess" down to Brooklyn on last night's episode. I recall that the Bateses are planning to go to their retreat. I'm sure the Duggars will as well (with Jana awkwardly avoiding that lunkhead Zack Bates) and it will be taped for the show.

Jessa and Jinger have both been spotted wearing the Star of David. I don't pretend to understand why this brand of Christians revere the Jews, other than The Rules. Should we call them Jesus for Jews?

Jessa and Jinger have both been spotted wearing the Star of David.

It's also a gang symbol--maybe their secretly female gang members!! bwahhahaahahhah--NOT!

I think I would have rather seen the Bontragers sing then the Duggars...

Apparently a "Bar Barakah" is a Christian Bar Mitzvah, where you release your kids to follow god or something. I don't see how a 13 year old is any less under then thumb of their parents after this, but maybe they see it as a way to keep them in line.

Personally, I had a giant, awesome party. It was my reward for suffering through 3 years of Hebrew school.

Apparently a "Bar Barakah" is a Christian Bar Mitzvah, where you release your kids to follow god or something. I don't see how a 13 year old is any less under then thumb of their parents after this, but maybe they see it as a way to keep them in line.

Personally, I had a giant, awesome party. It was my reward for suffering through 3 years of Hebrew school.

You lucked out at 3 years! I went for 8! I had heard the whole temple thing before, its not as "out there" as it seems. But they better get over it because short of a massive earthquake there's no way they will be able to rebuild the temple on that spot!

These people actually sing. I wonder why the duggars and their fake harmony crap was featured in the special. Oh wait, of course they were... they're not prideful or anything!

I win! My parents were frum yids and did not allow their girl kindelach to be bat mitzvah. I'm going out on a limb and thinking their "barakah" is their quaint way of spelling "baruch", as in, These Goyim are meshugah! But they live in Iowa, baruch Hashem!

You are correct, it's supposed to be "bracha." Their bad transliteration really threw me off. And apparently this is, indeed, a thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Barakah-Paren ... 663&sr=8-1

Here is a guide on creating your own Bar Barakah ceremony. (They keep calling it a "bat barakah" even though it's for a boy.)

http://www.freewebs.com/barbarakah/batbarakahhowto.htm

First of all, they live in Kalona, IA.

I'm pretty sure that Kalona has a lot of Amish people living there as well. Wonder what they think of each other.

I think a reason why a lot of Christians appear pro-Jewish is political. Jewish people have long been a huge part of the Democrats base. That is why you see Sarah Palin, Michele Bachman, Glenn Beck, etc. beat their chests about Israel and go on and on about they are on Israel's side and the Democrats aren't.

it's just another way of making sure that Christians get their own version of whatever celebration is occuring. Do some research, lots of the Christian celebrations were timed to coincide with pagan celebrations.

Sort of like Jewish children getting small Christmas gifts in December

The "Christian Bar Mitzvah" reminds me of the episode of King of the Hill episode where Hank is helping out at a co-worker's daughter's quinceanera and Bobby is jealous that white Christian boys don't have any big ceremonies. He comes up with an idea for his own huge party, "Los Fourteenos." I think it involved him eating an entire cake or else he "shall remain a boy forever!"

Is it like Confirmation for fundies? But with a fake Jewish twist? #soconfused.

I win! My parents were frum yids and did not allow their girl kindelach to be bat mitzvah. I'm going out on a limb and thinking their "barakah" is their quaint way of spelling "baruch", as in, These Goyim are meshugah! But they live in Iowa, baruch Hashem!

Wow. I thought a bat mitzvah was a feminist thing. :dance: And teh barakh seems to emulate some cossack coming of age ceremonies (sword ceremonies? Really?) not a bar mitzvah. :roll:

Wow. I thought a bat mitzvah was a feminist thing. :dance: And teh barakh seems to emulate some cossack coming of age ceremonies (sword ceremonies? Really?) not a bar mitzvah. :roll:

Wow, that's .... ironic.

How long before fundies have to learn hebrew and start reading actual torah portions?

Aren't Lina and Taliban Tony already doing that, or am I mistaken?

Also...I go to school in Iowa. FIELD TRIP. Maybe I can make it count for class credit in my fall seminar class (Anthropology of Religion, or how FireIsCatching89 is going to spend her entire thesis talking about Christian wackdoodles in an attempt to complete her major).

*rolls eyes* Having been someone raised Christian who then worked at a Jewish day camp, I can't tell you how offensive some of this crap is. My campers knew I wasn't Jewish, and I didn't try to be. Can't these people do the same thing? Oy vey.

so Bontrager, and Bontreger are VERY common Amish or Mennonite names. Where I grew up in Indiana most Amish that left the church ended up becoming Mennonite. It isn't too far to go from there to being fundie, but Mennonites don't proselytize at all. The clothing is pretty similar though (emphasis on modesty, jumpers and polo shirts). Mr. Bontrager's family was probably Amish some time in the not so distant past.

Archived