IGNORED

Having an allergic reaction? Just pray!

xReems

I'm not even going to mention anaphylactic shock.

But next time I get an outbreak of hives I think I'm gonna stick with my telfast, if it's all the same to them. I've tried showers, having heard they can help hives, but the water just made the itching more intense.

I was just given some kenalog ointment for an allergic rash that wouldn't go away. It worked great. I am going to ask my doctor if it can be used on hives, and not just psoraisis and eczema. (I generally take allegra or claritin daily, and singulair seasonally. I'm one of those people who occasionally breaks out in hives from stuff in the air.) Oh and a cold shower can help, hot showers can just make it worse. (heat makes the allergy feel more intense.)

Yeah, modern meds. Keep benedryl on hand, but once you have an allergic reaction that closes your throat, and epipen is important to have.

Wow, that's just awful. You don't play around with this, ever. Is he even planning an appointment with a physician so he can find out what he's allergic to?

Without knowing the cause, this could happen again at any moment. Does she not realize that?

My brother has had anaphylaxis twice. They were never able to figure out what he was allergic to. He carries benadryl with him and used to carry an epipen but doesn't now after no episodes in 20+ years.

I have a friend with a rare orphan disease, mastocytosis. The form she has is fatal. One of its manifestations is anaphylaxis. But what triggers it one day might not the next day, and then a new trigger might appear. She is never without her epipen.

What bothered me throughout this whole post is just how proud she felt that God healed her husband. This wasn't just a cold or a small hive breakout-he was clutching his throat since he couldn't breathe! This isn't something you go around, bragging about how wonderful God is. This is a selfish and careless act on her and his part. Yes, he asked you to pray over his throat but you should have at least drove to the nearest hospital afterwards!

I swear, I'll never understand some people. Things like this annoy the hell out of me. I can't even...gah.

• 3 years later...

I'm watching the Epipen hearings on CSPAN3.  The CEO, Heather Bresch, is getting pummeled by Congress.  So, silly me, I decided to see if Epipen has been discussed here on FJ.  Doesn't surprise me that some fundies are so against formal medical care that they would avoid a hospital when faced with something as serious as anaphylaxis (yeah, I'm talking to you, Lisa Pennington).

When I was stung by wasps recently, my husband's first instincts were to administer my EpiPen and call 911. I believe modern medicine is a gift from God. Screw these assholes.

Archived