IGNORED

Stupid Stuff People Post on Facebook

hahe77

We passed marriage equality a couple of days ago, so I'm getting a lot of posts on "religious liberty in a free society" and statuses of "RIP holy matrimony" and the like...

I was pleasantly surprised as to how many of my friends who were evangelical/ fundy light with me back in the day were pro equality :)

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obvious that Morgan Freeman has more lives than an alley cat because that dude has died on Facebook like 80 times!

I have a friend who seemed super functional when I friended her on the FB. Then I saw all of her posts were Jesus, urban legends, and cars. Oh, and juvenile "I love you so much" boxed crap and passive aggressive vague statuses where she abuses vowels. The current winner of tonight was "Jesus is my savior, not my religion." To quote Mom from Futurama, she makes me "sick to my ass."

My FIL and step-MIL are all about Obama is the devil and other super right wing propaganda. They are super close to having their own compound type of conservative.

The most annoying are the sepia toned, out of focus pictures with bible verses. Or, since I'm in the jello belt, supery-dupery Mormon quotes. :disgust:

The urban legend ones drive me insane. I am always irritating people by posting the Snopes article.

The completely inaccurate policitcal rants are bad enough, but the "BEWARE x criminals have found clever way Y to kill/rape/rob/gang initiate in EXACTLY this manner" are the worst, because yeah, it may not have happened yet, but if millions of people see the way to commit some crime, sooner or later one of them is going to actually do it.

I don't delete people, but I do hide them from my newsfeed if they are too obnoxious, that way I can still check in if I feel like it, and can see the photos of their kids, etc.. but don't need to see the stupidness every day.

I HATE those. No one loves cancer, idiots. We just hate copy and posting stupid shit.

I hate those, too. I have a friend who has some really bad chronic medical issues and she and her girlfriend are currently urging people to share her story on Facebook so that...maybe eventually a doctor with some new ideas will see it? I'm not really sure. I feel like a bad friend for not complying, but I don't think problems are solved by clicking the "like" button. I just don't.

My current favorite, though, is fifteen-year-old twerps posting "Oh, my GAWD, I can't believe what Congress/Obama/the school board/the local police/whoever just did. The government is taking away all our rights!" Granted, I used to be one of those fifteen-year-old twerps except that Facebook wasn't really a thing yet, so we just sat in math class and complained about George W. Bush. Said twerps still make me roll my eyes.

I had someone defriend me once over me always linking to Snopes on their stupid stories. She did not like facts. :lol:

I got defriended for what I think was the same reason by somebody. But they also defriended a couple other friends at the same time, so they may have been cleaning their friends list of "evil liberals" even though we're all moderate.

I got defriended by another conservative because my post were "too disturbing."

The funny thing is that I rarely post political posts, maybe a couple times a month at the most.

Add homophobia and liberal-phobia and that sums up a good chunk of my fundie FB relatives. I should delete them, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

I don't have any fundie relatives, but I do have the conservative one who posts stuff that doesn't involve thinking. At least my sister and I can snark with each other about their posts. (husband and wife, one posts stupid conservative stuff, the other who posts TMI about herself and the kids, and has an obvious favorite child.)

I got this the day of the bombing

The situation in Boston today is exactly why citizens need to have guns, to protect themselves from crazies like this!

Because guns would have totally been useful during a bomb explosion. :cray-cray:

I have a rule for never responding to the stupid stuff people post. But that rule is getting broke after this was posted by my aunt. Bolding done by me to highlight the beauty:

I have great faith in our Government and the FBI now that I know the older brother was investigated by the FBI in 2011 after another country warned us about his ties to terrorists and yet our FBI supposedly investigated and found nothing wrong. The brother then went to his home country and returned 6 months later and began a web site denouncing the USA and our policies abroad. What? And no one notices? Not even the FBI who is supposed to be watching for these kind of things especially having been warned about this individual already? Sure let's allow thousands of others to enter this country illegally or legally and give them Citizenship for no good reason other than they ask for it. Where are the checks and balances? Sure let's not blame Muslims but sure as heck, the damage done to us over the years has been by Muslims. I am not racist but it is time to rethink how we live, who we trust and where we spend our money or that is allow our government to spend our money overseas. We are arming our enemies and trying to disarm our citizens. God help us all.

Did anyone see the classy comment by the rep from my temporary state AR? Apparently all the liberals in Watertown were wishing they had a gun while huddled in their homes hiding. What a great guy with wonderful timing.

Several people have been circulating a pic of Obama, Hillary Clinton, and someone else showing Obama as the only person not covering his heart during what they're saying is the national anthem and calling Obama a loser with a capital L. They were playing God Bless America. :roll: I guess common sense equals dirty liberal these days.

Because guns would have totally been useful during a bomb explosion. :cray-cray:

I strongly suspect that if lots of people turned to guns instead of rushing in to help the victims, or trying to get away to protect their families - we would have had a few brown (i.e. suspicious looking) people to add to the body count.

I strongly suspect that if lots of people turned to guns instead of rushing in to help the victims, or trying to get away to protect their families - we would have had a few brown (i.e. suspicious looking) people to add to the body count.

Agree--think of that random student who got vilified in the media before they figured out he had nothing to do with it. The defamation of him was terrible and yet it could have gone even worse for him.

This showed up today... :wtf:

just wondering if the obama cuts to the domestic bombing budget affected this whole situation in Boston. yeah, bush spent money, but at least he spent it on the American people and their safety instead of GIVING it to the muslim brotherhood along with arms. the 'bama cuts the budget and then has the nerve to say that we just have to be more vigilent to stay safe......and everyone is questioning the 2nd amendment when that's all we'll have soon enough to stay safe. evil genius he is......

I was defriended by my husband's aunt and uncle because after his aunt spent three days sharing Hitler memes, I told her that Hitler didn't actually say any of that stuff.

I hate the posts where a photo of a very sick or injured child is shown. If it gets 1 million likes Bill Gates will pay for their chemotherapy or surgery, or Facebook will donate $1 for every like, or a kid will get a kidney transplant. Bill Gates gives away millions of dollars but it has nothing to do with Facebook or likes. Facebook gives money to no one but themselves. And if you need a transplant you get it when you are #1 on the list and there is a tissue match, etc for you.

I am real tired of all the anti Obama posts. Today's was showing a dog defecating on his picture. Sorry, not funny.

I had a friend who fairly often unfriended anyone who felt differently about parenting styles or issues than she did. I knew my turn was coming sooner or later, it did. I have a good mix of liberal and conservative friends, Democrats and Republicans, and I have Catholics, Jews, even a Muslim or two, liberal protestants, conservative protestants, and a boatload of atheists. I don't want only friends who think the same as me, that would be so boring.

Hahahahaha! I love the logic there. Maybe they could have shot everyone who looked a bit foreign and/or suspicious in advance, although it being an international marathon, they'd need a lot of ammo.

Troublesome things on Facebook:

Family members who post while drunk or on illegal substances. Especially the one who does "frapes" (hate that word, don't know a better). Her status updates say things like "HAHAHAHA I'M SO HUNGRY FOR COCK RIGHT NOW". Bear in mind her gran's her FB friend...

An overenthusiastic pro-North Korean comrade who I eventually defriended because my entire facebook was getting taken over by paeans of praise to the Kims interspersed with conspiracy theories.

People who post status updates like "I'm eating some pizza now but it's not as good as I thought it'd be. Isn't that just like life, really?" with a straight face.

Stupid stuff people post on Facebook? I predict this thread is going to be a multi-parter.

:pink-shock:

Wow, this is definitely true. The stupidity on FB transcends all classifications...

As my husband says, I just keep scrolling past...

My mom thinks that Obama is going to change the constitution in order to run again (and become some kind of dictator I guess????). Seriously, she believes this garbage. Never mind that 2/3 of both houses of Congress need to propose a constitutional change or 2/3 of the states legislatures must call on Congress to hold a Constitutional convention after which 3/4 of the states via state legislatures or constitutional conventions must ratify the amendment. Apparently, she slept through American Government in high school.

The sad thing is, she actually votes. Good God!

My mom thinks that Obama is going to change the constitution in order to run again (and become some kind of dictator I guess????). Seriously, she believes this garbage. Never mind that 2/3 of both houses of Congress need to propose a constitutional change or 2/3 of the states legislatures must call on Congress to hold a Constitutional convention after which 3/4 of the states via state legislatures or constitutional conventions must ratify the amendment. Apparently, she slept through American Government in high school.

The sad thing is, she actually votes. Good God!

I was informed a few days ago that he's going to declare martial law and stay in office forever. :wtf: This was from someone I consider a sister - I never expected something like that from her.

Dont they realise that if he wanted to, he would have done it the first time, cause theres no guarantee he would have been elected again.

I had a friend who fairly often unfriended anyone who felt differently about parenting styles or issues than she did. I knew my turn was coming sooner or later, it did.

I had a friend like this, too! I don't know why, but being deleted really hurt my feelings- who cares if I vaccinate my kids? I didn't delete you because you are a staunch un-vaxer! But apparently, vaxers can hurt non-vaxers? Hoping I don't run across her anytime soon in real life which is a possibility- she lives in my parent's neighborhood and frequents their pool and playground with kiddos- and I take my son, too. That will be awkward!

I do have the people who never check snopes and are always posting fake stories. They usually get offended if it is pointed out that the story is made up.

The first time I pointed snopes out to one particular relative was when she sent out a that copmuter animated video that had been shown on PBS for several years with some awestruck letter about it being made from farm equipment. How she had missed seeing the video before this (my dad had shown it to me, without thinking it was made from farm equipment) AND it clearly is animated...I didn't know she had sent it to pretty much everyone on her email list. when I forwarded her to snopes. I have done it one time since then decided she is an adult with an MBA and if she can't figure out bullshit from peanut butter, it is not my problem. Her husband is more into the big conspiracy theories, and he told me, finally, he believes snopes is out their to keep us from believing the truth. SO, I just delete their crap informative articles and hope they won't ask me what I thought. :doh:

Did anyone see the classy comment by the rep from my temporary state AR? Apparently all the liberals in Watertown were wishing they had a gun while huddled in their homes hiding. What a great guy with wonderful timing.

Several people have been circulating a pic of Obama, Hillary Clinton, and someone else showing Obama as the only person not covering his heart during what they're saying is the national anthem and calling Obama a loser with a capital L. They were playing God Bless America. :roll: I guess common sense equals dirty liberal these days.

I unfriended someone after they posted that picture and made horrible comments about Michelle Obama. When I called this person out and asked them to look at the rest of that photo and explain how their comment was valid, they posted one of those stupid boxed picture memes about how "stupid people need to shut up." I obliged her by unfriending her ignorant ass. I can only take so much willful stupidity before I'm done and I unfriend. Her comments about Michelle Obama and the follow-up meme were the last straw with this person. She's similar to a lot of the fundies we snark on, in that she loves Jesus but ignores most of what Jesus was about, only likes white people, and passes along any right-wing scare mongering bullshit that she can find on Facebook.

The newest is about Timothy McVeigh didn't use a gun, but killed 168 people and you can still buy fertilizer.

I wish I wasn't surrounded by conservatives or people who think the Democratic government is evil.

With which you can counter, the Boston bombers only killed 3 people. The Virginia Tech shooter killed 32.

In 2010 no Americans were killed by bombs. In 2010 31,076 Americans were killed by guns.

They really shouldn't start with the numbers because they're going to lose each and every time.

Archived