IGNORED

Genetic Tests

crazyforkate

Oh Jesus. I just discovered something rather embarrassing. I was corresponding with this guy I got a DNA match with on 23andMe, and I was (am? Still? Maybe.) very interested in how we are related because his name sounded Russian, and I don't know much about that side of the family. I was impressed that he was a doctor, too. I mean one of my relatives done good! Except...he has a Wikipedia page. It's not good. From the sounds of it, he has a quack cancer treatment centre in Texas. :embarrassed:

Of course one of my relatives is a quack. Why wouldn't he be? My family is crazy. I knew this. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

That's pretty funny! I'm not sure if I have tons of crazy relatives out there or if all the whacko genes are being hogged by my side of the family.

I've always been interested in dna testing but my biological father isn't in my life so I wouldn't be able to get his dna for a test. Do you guys know if I could use my son's dna someday and if they could focus on my side of his gene pool? Or is the information sort of jumbled? It's my understanding that female dna only shows our direct matrilinial line, is that right? Because every woman in my direct line was/is native Hawaiian so I just imagine I'll get results of Polynesia and Asia, which I already know about.

I don't think your son would work for your paternal line, but if you have uncles on your paternal side, or a brother who has the same father, they would work.

The female line can give you the mitochondrial DNA, but not the y-chromosome, because, well, you don't have one. So your son will have gotten his y-chromosome DNA from your husband, not from you. So if you want your paternal side, you'll have to get a male from that side who got the y-chromosome DNA from that side of your family.

At least, that's how I understand it.

Ah okay. Thanks for the explanation! My biological father was an only son (had a bunch of sisters, though) and his father passed away a few years ago, so I guess that's out. But I do know both sides of my family tree pretty extensively so I guess it's not a huge deal. Still could be fun to do for my kiddo someday, though. We don't know a lot about my husband's genealogy, compared to mine.

That's a shame...and you have no brothers? (Sorry, I can't remember).

It can tell you other stuff besides your ancestry, though. Like traits, drug response, whether or not you are part Neanderthal (this is my favourite part!), whether you have certain gene variants that you can pass down to your children, what diseases you are more or less at risk for, etc.

No, no brothers. I have a sister, but we have different dads. I think I am part neanderthal because I have basque ancestry and I've read that they supposedly are descended from neanderthals. It would be cool to find out! Actually, my mom has two brothers so maybe I could convince one of them to do genetic testing so I could at least get a clear picture of that side of my family. I will have to look into this!

It could be useful to do it for my husband and son too because my husband has two relatives (out of a large number of people since his mom was one of 16 kids) with Fredericks (sp?) Disease, which I understand is most prevalent in French Canada. My kiddo isn't at risk since I have no family history of anything like that (and it's my understanding that both parents need to have the gene for it for their child to have Fredericks, but either parent can pass on the gene), but it would be useful for him to know if he's a carrier (if they even test for it, since it's rare).

I just sent away my husband's sample today. :D I'm excited because there's a section that tells you what traits your kids would likely have. And since I don't have any, this might be the only way I'll ever find out. Also, I'm curious to see which of us has more Neanderthal DNA.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to get genetic testing done, but I already know I carry the BRCA gene. Mother, grandmother, and great grandmother were all diagnosed.

Cool, Treemom! I sent my grandma's away today. I can't believe she agreed to do it. I'm still waiting on my husband's results.

I'm getting my dad's done as his Christmas gift. Since we have mine and my mom's already, it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

I'm hoping I can get it done for my birthday. I pretty much know the Northern European/Scandinavian parts, but I'm curious to see what else is there.

I got my family finder results back from familytreedna.com. It came back 86% Orcadian and 14% Palestinian, Bedouin, Druze, Jewish. The Orcadian was completely expected, but I have NO idea where the Middle Eastern comes from. I'm guessing from one of my Grandmothers - she was adopted from Chicago. But its a mystery at this point!

I'm a regular lurker at FJ but must jump in here and say I really, really want to do this. This. Is. Cool. :)

I've put a lot of years into my family history and this would either confirm or debunk my research. Going to research costs . . .

Well, my husband's DNA is super-boring. All European, mostly British and Finnish. Although Finnish will probably come as a shock to him, as he thought he was Norwegian on his mother's side. Makes me feel exotic in comparison. :D

My dad's is pretty boring, too. Mostly French and German. I guess all my interesting stuff comes from my mother. Looking forward to getting my grandma's results back, to see if there are any interesting surprises.

Oh, and I have more Neanderthal DNA than either my husband or my dad. I'm so proud. :mrgreen:

I got my family finder results back from familytreedna.com. It came back 86% Orcadian and 14% Palestinian, Bedouin, Druze, Jewish. The Orcadian was completely expected, but I have NO idea where the Middle Eastern comes from. I'm guessing from one of my Grandmothers - she was adopted from Chicago. But its a mystery at this point!

That's interesting, not many Orcadians out there!

So these tests get super specific...like they can tell what region of what country your ancestors come from?

My husband is the one really big into geneology. He's traced back most of his family lines to Northern Ireland, but as far as we can tell it seems like the family traveled back and forth a lot between Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland. I suspect since his dad's side is Protestant they are Scots Irish and his mother's Catholic ancestors are totally Irish.

I'm truly a Heinz 57. There are some interesting areas I'd like to explore though...I found out on my bio dad's side there is a lot of French/Walonian ancestry, which was totally unexpected. It's kind of hilarious too as they pride themselves on being super Irish, when in fact it appears they are all far more French! They are really super Republican too, so the French part might irk them all the more :lol:

I can help, GiGi! It's $99 for 23andMe.

I know what I'm asking for this Christmas :cracking-up: I'm such a geek . . . things like this excite me. UNTIL i get the results and they turn out to be super boring . . . which is entirely possible :cry:

The maternal side of my family were moonshiners back in the day, in the Appalachian Mountains. I "think" they were Scotch Irish.

Things like this excite me, too! :lol: There will be something interesting...it tells you health reports, what genes you carry that you could pass on to children, what medications you might react differently to than the norm, what celebrities you share haplogroups with (you'll need to get a dad, brother, or paternal uncle to do it if you want your Y-chromosome haplogroup), and, my favourite--how much of a Neanderthal you are! :D

I want to talk about familytreedna for a minute. I got it on the recommendation of one of my DNA relatives from 23andMe. They had a sale where you could send them your 23andMe results, and get results from them that way. I don't really understand that site, though. It says I'm 83.69% Western European, specifically French and Orcadian, and 16.31% Middle Eastern, specifically Adygei, which I've never heard of before. It's different than my 23andMe results in some ways. I find it confusing. I like 23andMe way better, personally.

That's interesting, not many Orcadians out there!

So these tests get super specific...like they can tell what region of what country your ancestors come from?

My husband is the one really big into geneology. He's traced back most of his family lines to Northern Ireland, but as far as we can tell it seems like the family traveled back and forth a lot between Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland. I suspect since his dad's side is Protestant they are Scots Irish and his mother's Catholic ancestors are totally Irish.

I'm truly a Heinz 57. There are some interesting areas I'd like to explore though...I found out on my bio dad's side there is a lot of French/Walonian ancestry, which was totally unexpected. It's kind of hilarious too as they pride themselves on being super Irish, when in fact it appears they are all far more French! They are really super Republican too, so the French part might irk them all the more :lol:

I did some more research, and the Orcadian bit doesn't mean my relatives are from Oracadia. What researchers do is study populations that are fairly remote, or don't have a lot of out breeding. Those turn into reference groups. So, the Oracadians are studied because they are remote, and are expected to have the same genes as earlier Western Europeans or folks from Great Britain. I can trace most of my family history back to either England, Ireland, Scotland or Germany, so that part wasn't weird at all.

Archived