IGNORED

'We Want A Country' Where Abortion 'Isn't Even Considered'

doggie

well this is somewhat better then usual. it's hard to really see where he is going it seems like he is thinking in the right track but it seems he wants anti abortion activists not to really give any. Yes it would be a good thing if abortions were not needed but it is hard to tell if he is willing to see the steps it would take.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/1 ... 65932.html

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Paul Ryan, the Republican vice presidential nominee in 2012 and an abortion opponent, said Thursday that anti-abortion activists should try to build a broad coalition and find common ground with supporters of abortion rights as a way to advance their agenda.

Ryan, R-Wis., said in a speech to the Susan B. Anthony List that those who oppose abortion "need to work with people who consider themselves pro-choice – because our task isn't to purge our ranks. It's to grow them."

"We don't want a country where abortion is simply outlawed. We want a country where it isn't even considered," he said.

Ryan told the organization that seeks to elect women who oppose abortion rights that "labels can be misleading." He pointed to former GOP Sen. Scott Brown, whose 2010 election in Massachusetts nearly derailed President Barack Obama's health care law. Brown supports abortion rights. In contrast, Ryan told the group that former Michigan Rep. Bart Stupak, who opposed abortion, "delivered the votes that passed it into law."

Many opponents of abortion disagreed with the health care overhaul because it requires most employers to cover birth control free of charge to female workers as a preventative service. The law exempted churches and other houses of worship.

Ryan said critics often urge abortion opponents to abandon their beliefs but "that would only demoralize our voters." But he said anti-abortion activists should work with people of all beliefs to plant "flags" in the law – "small changes that raise questions about abortion."

He said some people who support abortion rights oppose taxpayer funding of abortions or parental notification of minors' abortions. Others, he said, support the reinstatement of the so-called Mexico City policy, which bans American aid from funding abortions. Obama waived the order soon after taking office in 2009.

Marjorie Dannenfelser, the group's president, said it plans to target Senate seats in 2014 held by Democrats Kay Hagan of North Carolina and Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, both of whom support abortion rights.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We don't want a country where abortion is simply outlawed. We want a country where it isn't even considered," he said.

Might I suggest relocating to Uganda? Bonus points, they also hate the gays!

Ryan, R-Wis., said in a speech to the Susan B. Anthony List that those who oppose abortion "need to work with people who consider themselves pro-choice – because our task isn't to purge our ranks. It's to grow them."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Ryan, go home...you're drunk. Your people don't know the meaning of the word compromise. And if the "pro-life" groups on FB are any indication, there is absolutely zero interest in collaborating with people who consider themselves pro-choice.

Abortion will exist as long as there are unwanted and/or unviable pregnancies. Wonder what Ryan's plan is to deal with those.

I don't think we'll ever see a society in which abortions are never needed, because even the most effective contraception isn't 100%. Even if you make it so that rape never happens, everyone is educated well enough to know how to use contraception and does so, and programmes are in place to provide support to people with babies and young children, there will still be the people who, by some fluke, get pregnant and don't want to be.

ETA: Oh, and there are those pregnancies that are very much wanted but become life-threatening and have to be terminated.

Great idea. Just ask Savita Halappanavar. Oh, wait, she died in agony because doctors wouldnt even consider terminating heriscarrying baby. Fuck you, you insecure patholical liar.

I don't think we'll ever see a society in which abortions are never needed, because even the most effective contraception isn't 100%. Even if you make it so that rape never happens, everyone is educated well enough to know how to use contraception and does so, and programmes are in place to provide support to people with babies and young children, there will still be the people who, by some fluke, get pregnant and don't want to be.

Agreed - and also there will always be unviable pregnancies.

A society that wouldn't even consider abortion also wouldn't even consider contraception, so a pregnancy due to failed contraception would be a non-issue. So would non-viability, danger to the mother, pregnancy due to rape or incest and so forth. If you were married and pregnant, it would be considered your destiny. If you were UNmarried and pregnant, it would be your punishment since you shouldn't have been having sex outside of the sanctity of marriage (slut!). All pregnancies would be ordained by god so who are you, a mere woman, to go against god's desire? You exist only to serve, even if it costs your health or your life.

I read the article and I'm confused as to how he is planning to compromise. Is he saying it will somehow help antichoice people if they elect prochoice Republicans?

A country where abortion is never considered would be fantastic. That would mean that a country has managed to provide 100% effective contraceptives to its citizens, lower its rape incidents to 0%, that all illnesses that require pre-natal abortions to save the mothers life have been cured, teenagers are well educated and provided contraceptives and every pregnancy is wanted and healthy!!

That sounds like a pretty awesome country.

It's hard to have a rational convo with people who "jump to the end", their perfect fantasy world, and just insist it should be so. But I suppose it is easier that dealing with the issues that prevent perfect fantasy world when you outlaw and demonize those who step out of line.

I read the article and I'm confused as to how he is planning to compromise. Is he saying it will somehow help antichoice people if they elect prochoice Republicans?

I, too, saw nothing approaching compromise in the article. Like my 3 year old, I believe his idea of compromise is that everyone agrees with him and he then lets them join his party.

I've met people who are conservative in fiscal policies but liberal when it comes to human rights. Moderate conservatives need to start their own party because it sounds like Ryan wants to use them to advance his agenda.

A society that wouldn't even consider abortion also wouldn't even consider contraception, so a pregnancy due to failed contraception would be a non-issue. So would non-viability, danger to the mother, pregnancy due to rape or incest and so forth. If you were married and pregnant, it would be considered your destiny. If you were UNmarried and pregnant, it would be your punishment since you shouldn't have been having sex outside of the sanctity of marriage (slut!). All pregnancies would be ordained by god so who are you, a mere woman, to go against god's desire? You exist only to serve, even if it costs your health or your life.

I would say that it Ryan's fantasy land.

I would say that it Ryan's fantasy land.

I'd say it's every anti-choicer's/fundie's fantasy land.

Abortion has existed for thousands of years. There were/are herbal ways of inducing a miscarriage in varying degrees of success. Unsafe, but they exist. If abortion is outlawed, back alley abortions will still go on, under unsafe medical conditions. As long as women get pregnant, abortion will exist in some form. In the words of Hillary Clinton (I think? Maybe it was Bill?) "Abortion should be safe, legal and rare." The rare part can only exist with a comprehensive sexual education program and easy access to cheap and effective birth control options.

So Ryan is saying that in his country abortion even to save the life of the mother wouldn't even be considered. I want a country where the phrase "Rep. Paul Ryan" isn't even considered.

Shouldn't he then be advocating great BC campaigns, great prenatal care, subsidies to single or even just poor mothers, great resources for children with special needs...because that's the only way where you can, if not eliminate abortion entirely, have less women consider it.

Btw, is this guy aware that, you know, there other bad things in the world than abortion?

I want a country where you can each as much chocolate as you want and never gain weight. Not going to happen, which is the same with his "wish". He doesn't want to compromise or even have a rational discussion, he wants to act like he is doing that so he can hopefully get more votes.

Abortion will exist as long as there are unwanted and/or unviable pregnancies. Wonder what Ryan's plan is to deal with those.

Why, billions and billions worth of extensive sex ed, free birth control and continuing outreach to keep it accessible throughout life, full social and financial support of all parents and children so no-one decides against children for economic reasons of course! Oh, wait...

Does he think that people actually want to have abortions? Generally when people are in a position to have one, they're not too thrilled about it - even if they're glad to have it available. It's not like pro-choice people are going around say "Everyone get an abortion, now! YOU THERE! Remove that from your womb! It's fun times, I promise!"

We don't want it to happen any more than you do, Rep. Ryan, but the need is there and it is urgent.

So what you're saying is... you want a country without women? :think:

No, he wants a country where there are women who have no rights. Perhaps he should relocate to one of those places.

DAMN! I gotta write what the late, great feminist attorney said many years ago "If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament."

No, he wants a country where there are women who have no rights. Perhaps he should relocate to one of those places.

Ah, but you see, even when women have no rights, there will still be abortion. Probably mostly chemical abortions, which would be easier to hide. Things like parsley and vitamin C without added rosehips would be in high demand.

Archived