IGNORED

Dr. Dobson : the war on stay at home moms

MyName

(snip)

father_ted_001_003_002_0011_zps207ad829.jpg

And, because I found it while searching for the one above and it seemed suited to this site (and it's one of my favourite ever quotes from Father Ted, after "how did you become a priest, anyway? Collect twelve crisp packets and send them in?"):

tumblr_ljahikLk8V1qa713ko1_500_zpse010bfbb.png

The second image was one of my all-time favourites from Fr Dougall. :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently setting up soooper secret headquarters. We'll put the address into the centrepiece. :)

I'm willing to consider enlisting but only if you send me a secret decoder ring.,

I'm willing to consider enlisting but only if you send me a secret decoder ring.,

We will send you a garden gnome (to be placed in some SAHM's garden). The ring is inside. Should you fail to retrieve the ring, we will send you a mildly disapproving FB message, so be careful.

We will send you a garden gnome (to be placed in some SAHM's garden). The ring is inside. Should you fail to retrieve the ring, we will send you a mildly disapproving FB message, so be careful.

Thanks and that's OK. Anything for the cause!

The second image was one of my all-time favourites from Fr Dougall. :lol:

I loooove Father Ted, and those signs are just the kind of menacing message we need to get our message of

hate and malevolence across. North Korea will have nothing on us!!!

I also like the episode where he messes with the Chinese people. Is that the same episode where he inherits all the Nazi stuff?

As much as fundie men appear to value SAHMs, they're probably the worst about failing to appreciate the work they do, too.

Yes, they do - and they even have to read blog posts about how to optimize the condescension.

I'm confused. I'm on maternity leave but am going back to work soon. So, should I build a moat or get out my pitchfork and torch? Please advise...

I know it's all terribly inconvenient, and we really don't have time for this, but we're trying to make it happen. Is September 23rd 2014 good for you? If not, send us your phone-number so we can make a scolding anonymous phone-call. Alternatively, we can combine it with the war on x-mas by sending you a postcard of Mrs Claus working? Or you could download our war-chants to play in the comfort of your own home? Sorry, I know this is all a bit slap-dash, and it's a tad embarrassing, but we really need your help to get this war off the ground!

Mmmm. It's a bit iffy; KidSobe has a science class in the mornings. Could you make it later in the afternoon, and stay for some tea and cookies too? If not, the disapproving garden gnome would be great.

Will you be placing the SAHMs in comfy chairs and hitting them with the soft cushions? If so, sign me up!

Will you be placing the SAHMs in comfy chairs and hitting them with the soft cushions? If so, sign me up!

Oooh, direct aggression. I like your thinking. Yes, let's do that. Also, I'm going to sign my Thai-massage neighbour up to scare SAHMs with her skillz. :twisted: DOWN with this sort of thing! Careful now!

I'm confused. I'm on maternity leave but am going back to work soon. So, should I build a moat or get out my pitchfork and torch? Please advise...

You need to wait your turn in line. I'm still waiting for an answer about how to obtain a draft deferment.

Currently setting up soooper secret headquarters. We'll put the address into the centrepiece. :)

Whoa there Samurai sarah! Are you some kind of double agent? You KNOW that the centre piece is our top sooper secret weapon - because a centre piece is the gateway tchotchky for becoming a working woman (see the memo on this from Lady Lydia : homeliving.blogspot.com/2007/09/taking-time-to-reflect.html ). Loose lips sink ships lady!

Whoa there Samurai sarah! Are you some kind of double agent? You KNOW that the centre piece is our top sooper secret weapon - because a centre piece is the gateway tchotchky for becoming a working woman (see the memo on this from Lady Lydia : homeliving.blogspot.com/2007/09/taking-time-to-reflect.html ). Loose lips sink ships lady!

Tsk, you're not reading the memos again. We've moved on to fog-tea for our sooper secret speshul weapons. 8-)

You need to wait your turn in line. I'm still waiting for an answer about how to obtain a draft deferment.

That's okay. I can wait, I have another month to go until I go back. :whistle:

It's true I have fallen behind in my memo reading ...its all the stress from working and my black salve is on back order *goes back to making signs saying "whats all this then"*

Just because people lead different lifestyles and have different beliefs from you doesn't mean there's a damn "war" going on. I'm so tired of hearing these ignorant nut jobs scream "War on ______!" every time they encounter someone/something different from themselves. Plain stupidity.

Am I the only one who find his repeated use of "and" to start sentences (that are in a kind of point-form) annoying? He's got a doctorate in something; he should be able to tell that it sounds clunky and is (formally) grammatically suspect.

That's okay. I can wait, I have another month to go until I go back. :whistle:

Wait, I work Friday mornings, Saturdays, and Mondays. Do I switch sides several times a week or what? Also I am taking a class so I can score a second PT job to work from home. How will that work? Can someone stop by to harass me during the week?

I knew Dobson was a loser in the 90's when I read a blurb my church took of Dobson's & put in a bulletin where he claimed that "Friends" wasn't godly enough or some crap like that. *eye roll*http://www.freejinger.org/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&p=535339#

Ah yes, James Dobson - that paragon of Biblical virtue who felt the best way to teach obedience to his small dog was by beating it with a strap. It doesn’t matter that there were many less violent ways to deal with the situation. As with everything else Dobson does, his response there simply had to be more than extreme; it had to be cruel because, despite Dobson’s training, he cannot differentiate between respect and fear.

And now for the rest of his horseshit:

It is high time you realized that your wives are under attack today! Everything they have been taught from earliest childhood is being subjected to ridicule and scorn. Hardly a day passes when the traditional values of the Judeo-Christian heritage are not blatantly mocked and undermined.

First of all – and this should go without saying, but it doesn’t – there are no such things as “Judeo-Christian values.†Judaism and Christianity are stems from the same trunk, but there are too many cultural differences to merely gloss over them and pretend to a common cause.

I seriously doubt Jews – and in particular, the Jews of Israel – are ignorant as to how they went from historical pariahs, persecuted by their Christian naighbors, to an ‘honoured’ part of the Reconstructionist agenda within the space of two or three generations.

And secondly, mere disagreement with a claim – in this case, that each individual boy and man on Earth was created by God for a variety of purposes whereas all girls and women have but one – is not the same as ridicule and scorn. Pointing out the positive and nearly universal correlation between national stability and female enfranchisement is not the same as ridicule and scorn.

Dobson's heavy-handed treatment of those who disagree with him, along with his overweening sense of entitlement (by virtue of his status as a rich preacher) – now those are legitimate objects of ridicule and scorn. Jimmy is simply too self-absorbed to recognize that criticism aimed at him and his ministry is not necessarily being aimed at all of Christianity or even at all of fundamentalism.

--The notion that motherhood is a worthwhile investment of a woman's time suffers unrelenting bombardment.

Uh huh – most of these persecution delusions are brought to use by the same minds that barfed up the annual War on Christmas ™ - because the inclusively wherein clerks are told to bid their customers a Happy Holiday rather than a Merry Christmas is exactly the same as war.

If marriage and motherhood are being devalued anywhere, than it is within fundamentalist circles where wives – those strong, counter-cultural women who opt for submission from a place of total choice – can be barred from anything from pasturing a church (of course) to reading announcements to participating in Q and As to singing in the choir to bringing their own ecclesiastical charges of pastoral misconduct to a board of elders precisely and solely because they are `honoured, beloved, cherished, strong` women.

--And the idea that wives should yield to the leadership of their husbands, as commanded in Ephesians 5:21–33 is considered almost medieval in its stupidity.

The idea predates the medieval period, stretching back to a time when men could divorce their wives for damned near any reason under the son whereas women were in a far more delicate position.

While I see nothing at all wrong with women so ordering their lives as to conform to the Biblical principles they see as important, they should make their choice about submission after having read the verses in Ephesians (as well as in several other key spots) within context – place, time, audience.

The OT is the foundation upon which the NT is built. Reading NT passages without an OT understanding of them leads to precisely the kind of crap some Christians are pulling right now.

--And the concept that a man and woman should become one flesh, finding their identity in each other rather than as separate and competing individuals, is said to be intolerable insulting to women

The concept isn't insulting; Dobson’s variation on it is: He’s surely never thought too deeply about this metaphor, but it’s clearly okay for one flesh to have four arms and four legs and yet the flesh becomes monstrous – and not a moment before – only when it has two heads.

(The risible and common 'one flesh can't have two heads' argument is stupid on so many levels – as in, Kirk Cameron-level stupid. And it is precisely the sort of fuckery one would expect of people who take the whole of a text literally when some of it was clearly meant as metaphor.)

--And the description of the ideal wife and mother, as offered in Proverbs 31:10–31 is now unthinkable for the modern woman. (She's come along way, baby.)

Dobson shouldn’t even be discussing Proverbs 31. His low view of women doesn’t match up with the message in Proverbs 31 – which is why he and his colleagues will never be caught intentionally teaching it as a backdrop for the NT passages on submission.)

--And the role of the female as help-meet, bread-baker, wound-patcher, love giver, home builder, and child-bearer is nothing short of disgusting.

That comment is nothing short of moronic. It does not deserve a response. Dobson knows damned well that is not what his critics are actually arguing.

Are stay-at-home wives being forced out of their homes or are people using their freedom of speech on the internet to express themselves that suggests that not all women are stay-at-home wives and that some may not want to be? "Dr." Dobson; are you just too emotionally about not all women wanting to be stay-at-home moms and using the internet to express that they aren't and don't want to be? Are you really a doctor at all?

Wait, I work Friday mornings, Saturdays, and Mondays. Do I switch sides several times a week or what? Also I am taking a class so I can score a second PT job to work from home. How will that work? Can someone stop by to harass me during the week?

I knew Dobson was a loser in the 90's when I read a blurb my church took of Dobson's & put in a bulletin where he claimed that "Friends" wasn't godly enough or some crap like that. *eye roll*http://www.freejinger.org/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&p=535339#

Oh dear, this whole war on SAHMs is really inconvenient.

Maternity leave: Since we neither have the time nor resources, we will not attack you. In any case, the earliest we could get to you is 2017, the way this is going. However, if it's important to you, we will happily tweet a vaguely disparaging message tailored to your personal needs.

Draft deferment: You cannot defer your draft. If you do, we will be really disappointed and call you a 'slacker' behind your back. Bribes in the form of wine or chocolates however are acceptable, and we will mark you down as "has done her bit".

Part-time work: Nope, sorry, time and resources. Perhaps you could help us by feeling a bit bad on the days you don't work? The alternative would be a pin you could wear, saying "part-time traitor"? A quick look in the mirror and an expression of mild disappointment would also be okay.

Just because people lead different lifestyles and have different beliefs from you doesn't mean there's a damn "war" going on. I'm so tired of hearing these ignorant nut jobs scream "War on ______!" every time they encounter someone/something different from themselves. Plain stupidity.

Because everyone must be the SAME!11! Failure to conform is a direct attack upon others. Durrrr :roll:

Yeah, it's stupid.

Does this mean I can start using the designated veterans parking space at my local grocery store? In the last three months I've been through the wars on Christmas, Easter, and now SAHMs, so I'm feeling I deserve it. :roll:

Archived