IGNORED

Eeeewww... Raising Olives

longskirts

My maternal grandfather, also; and I am pretty sure it was for the same reason. When my mom was growing up, they were among the poorest of the poor.

And Peeta's father back in District 12, buying them off Katniss. She hit them right in the eye, every single time.

Pretty much learned how to skin a frog from watching the second season of "Duck Dynasty."

Happened to meat (typo and it stays) a lady who grew up on squirrel, and who took serious issue with Miss Kay Robinson (Duck matriarch) that squirrel brains are the best part of the critter. My IRL acquaintance avers that it's squirrel face cheeks (see how I'm heading off the butt-cheek jokes? ;) ) that are truly haute squirrel cuisine.

She said she and her siblings use to vie for the morsels.

I was just so glad that the varmints kept them all alive, back in the day, because in 2013 she had turned into a woman very worthy of getting to know.

PS: FTR, I hope I never have to eat squirrel. Or frog. Though I will try a bite of frog legs if someone at my table at the seafood cafe offers me a bite of theirs.

More annoying quotes from this blogpost...

Rather than telling [your children] what they need to know or where they should go for help or signing them up for a class, allow them the freedom and opportunity to take responsibility for their learning. Encourage them to figure it out on their own. If they’re new at this and need additional help, offer up some suggestions, but be clear that your list of ideas isn’t exhaustive and encourage them to think of resources on their own.
What if one of the resources they think of is...I dunno...TAKING A CLASS?? :doh:

I know this may seem obvious, but you really are your child’s best teachers. You may not know the most about a given subject, but you care the most about your children and their proficiency with any given subject.
Uh, no, that does not "seem obvious." Caring does not equate to having knowledge or teaching ability, and any homeschooling parent worth their salt should be humble enough to admit when self-led learning is not enough and they should access outside help as part of their children's education program.

Your Christian community should be one of the first places outside of the family that you turn to when your children need additional instruction.

We have recently been blessed by a lady in our community who is taking the same Greek course that our older children are taking. She asked if she could come over and work with our children on their Greek. She provides the blessing of accountability and more thorough explanations.

I'm just going to take a guess that they aren't providing any monetary compensation either for her "thorough explanations" or for the time she spends with the kids, which is time the parents presumably don't need to be around to supervise.

There's also a picture in the post of some young kids standing on a counter holding their "simple lifting system." Better pull up the first aid YouTube vids for when one of them takes a fall!

Edited for riffles.

Your Christian community should be one of the first places outside of the family that you turn to when your children need additional instruction.

Translation: Make sure you isolate your children from the outside world and shelter them from opposing viewpoints so you emotionally cripple them.

I think that letting kids choose their learning interests and go with them can work, to some extent. But you still need to make sure they get the basic math, science, English, and history in, whether or not they have an interest. If it were up to me I would have never learned any science or math, so I'm glad that my school system required it so I today can balance my checkbook. (theoretically, if I did that.) And does the Raising olives woman ever consider that a lot of what is on the internet is false or made up? If you learn history according to wikipedia you'll have a pretty odd view of it.

I think this is another example of a fundamentalist taking a reasonable idea right off a cliff.

I scored high on written tests because I was naturally very good at reading, analyzing, and synthesizing written information. So I did teach myself some things. I had to double up on trig and calc one year due to a scheduling goof and the trig teacher just turned me loose with the book. But lectures longer than a few minutes leave me confused and lost and I am mediocre at hands-on learning.

These kids appear to be very good audio-visual learners, so anything that can be distilled into a video suited for their attention spans will be a good topic for self-study. But that's not everything.

My husband has trouble learning things from books, but if you explain the basic concepts, and tools are involved, he will figure out what you meant and build an example of whatever it is by tomorrow afternoon. Just don't ask him to teach it in a classroom. One-on-one with a student, sure, but composing a lecture is not his thing.

Different people can teach themselves different things. That doesn't mean that everybody can self-teach everything! Are these kids getting one-on-one instruction in topics that can't be taught via videos?

When I think of "self-teaching", I don't think of it as someone learning it in a vacuum. It just means not learning in a structured, teacher-led fashion. It means scouring books and online lectures and yes, YouTube videos. However, books and lectures and Youtube videos are still developed by someone. For some things, those resources are enough. However, most kids do not know how to set up their own syllabus to ensure they master the basics of a tough subject matter. Calculus and British lit can be self-taught, but if you've never learned it, how would you know what books to read or what problem sets to do in order to master the subject? It drives me nuts that fundies seem to wallow in their ignorance. It's laughable the lengths fundies go to to avoid being tainted by secular teachers. Heavens forbid the trig teacher tries to indoctinate your child in Wiccan!

For the poster asking about learning to be a doctor on YouTube. Alas, I already tried that and it was a colossal failure. I still had to resort to stupid things like school lectures, dissections and clinical rotations and those pesky board exams. All of which were managed and dictated to me by someone else. There are some things that cannot be self-taught, it seems.

Also, the most advanced subject these guys can think of is killing and skinning a squirrel?!

People used to skin animals in the stone age.

She is scary. She is the only fundie I have read about that even though her children MAY want to go to college, her and her husband do not believe in taking ANY state aid, whether it be grants, loans or scholarships so poor Amber ( their oldest) does not have a chance in hell to leave.
And from the post:
...I did extremely well on the SAT, ACT and other tests and/or college entrance exams. I was offered academic scholarships, received national academic awards and tested out of first year college English and Math (and math has never been a strong suit). When I entered college (at a school that is widely respected for it’s science program) I found the courses simple, even biology and chemistry, received excellent grades and graduated with honors.
It doesn't say whether she took the scholarships, but she did go to college. Her entire argument is based on the fact that she did well in school, mostly by learning at home with her parents' help, so her kids can do the same. But she doesn't let her children have access to the same opportunities she had, namely to receive education outside the home. The "do as I say, not as I do" approach. It's like jenny_islander said: it's "another example of a fundamentalist taking a reasonable idea right off a cliff."

What is with this whole 'Raising [Nouns]' thing? Raising Rubies, Raising Olives... If I ever have kids I'm going to start a mommy blog and call it, like, 'Raising Llamas' or 'Raising Diatomaceous Earth' or some such shit. And I'll include a completely bullshit post explaining the 'deep' meaning behind why I call my kids llamas or diatomaceous earth.

well of course...they go to college but refuse to allow their children to do the same. What they will NEVER admit is they need their daughters home. She freely admits that poor amber gets stuck with menu planning and preparing when she is pregnant. Her daughter seems to have an aptitude for Math but will never be anything more than a doormat and a broodmare. It makes me sad.

Archived