IGNORED

Eeeewww... Raising Olives

longskirts

From a post saying kids can teach themselves everything without help from professional teachers:

"Matthew and Carter have learned to skin, prepare and cook both squirrels and chipmunks thanks to youtube videos."

raisingolives.com/2013/04/homeschooling-advanced-subjects/

From a post saying kids can teach themselves everything without help from professional teachers:

"Matthew and Carter have learned to skin, prepare and cook both squirrels and chipmunks thanks to youtube videos."

So squirrel hunting and prep are advanced subjects???? :pink-shock:

Does this mean I can learn how to be a doctor from youtube?

You can learn anything from YT. Name it, you'll be it in under 10min. Approximately. YouTube videos make perfect.

You can even learn how to be (a) God from YouTube. Isn't it amazing? Let's close all public schools straight away! Who needs uni? Just go to YouTube.

9hytYZTIZ_c

Totally off topic... but "raising olives" sounds like a martini bar.

And raisingolives looks like raisin go lives

But hey boys cooking? Rad

I don't have a problem with people eating squirrels and chipmunks as long as the animals are killed humanely. I thought there were far more objectionable/stupid ideas in that post.

This week the 4 Moms are answering the question “How do you teach advanced subjects like trig, dissection or a foreign language in your homeschool?â€

Her/Their (not sure who's writing the post) kids are learning ancient Greek, so they're probably only be interested in having receptive/passive skills, i.e. reading and (not applicable here) listening, but if you want to have productive/active skills in a language, i.e. writing and speaking, you need to get feedback from native or high-level speakers to improve. And that probably entails speaking to heathens at some point.

...the primary way that we’ve ‘taught’ advanced subjects is by preparing our children to learn on their own.

I think that perhaps this is one of the most negative influences that the public school system mentality has had on the homeschooling community. We have swallowed, hook, line and sinker, the idea that ‘professionals’ are the ones who should teach those ‘difficult’ subjects, but this simply isn’t the case (and nowhere in Scripture do you see a command to make sure to have professionals come in to educate your children).

Yeah, people can teach themselves things on their own, but professional educators (fuck the scare quotes) can save a lot of the time their kids probably spend looking around on YouTube for the most godly squirrel-skinning video. It's great to encourage kids to be independent, self-motivated learners, but that's gotta be a drag when that's the biggest part of the educational system your parents have decided on for you AND you aren't allowed full access to all potential educational materials, namely the non-fundie-approved ones.

A few years ago they built a raft with some scrap lumber that we had left-over from a project. We then helped them transport their raft to a pond and they all took turns navigating around the pond on their raft. Honestly, I never thought they’d get anything that would float and, while there is some relativity in regard to the term ‘float’, they enjoyed the experience and have built several more effecient rafts since that time.

...what? I wonder if the kids taught themselves advanced swimming from YouTube lessons before taking a ride on a homemade raft. And SOTDRT fail: it's spelled "efficient."

Eating chipmunks grosses me out. Plus I don't get how this makes sense as an example of self-teaching advanced high school subjects. 1) It's not really comparable to trigonometry and 2) If the boys are going to be killing and cooking these animals, you'd think it would be a good idea for an adult to walk them through it and show them how to do it safely.

The boys can self-teach how to kill chipmunks so there's no value in a high school teacher who knows history or science? Just doesn't follow.

Not my ideal meal, but then again, squirrel is probably one of the more sustainable meat sources out there.

I wonder if it really is more sustainable, though, because so few people want to eat them. If everybody started killing squirrels as a regular food source, the population would decline and you'd have to expend more energy ensuring they're kept alive until you're ready to eat them.

I wonder if it really is more sustainable, though, because so few people want to eat them. If everybody started killing squirrels as a regular food source, the population would decline and you'd have to expend more energy ensuring they're kept alive until you're ready to eat them.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess a squirrel diet isn't going to save the planet after all!

...the primary way that we’ve ‘taught’ advanced subjects is by preparing our children to learn on their own.

I think that perhaps this is one of the most negative influences that the public school system mentality has had on the homeschooling community. We have swallowed, hook, line and sinker, the idea that ‘professionals’ are the ones who should teach those ‘difficult’ subjects, but this simply isn’t the case (and nowhere in Scripture do you see a command to make sure to have professionals come in to educate your children).

And nowhere in Scripture do you see a command to teach your children via You Tube...

I'm really pissed I spent all that time in college, medical school, residency and fellowship when I could just have watched a few You Tube videos.

Why yes it does! I'm on a Law & Order: SVU-watching marathon. By the time I'm finished, I'll be a police officer and an attorney!

And raisingolives looks like raisin go lives

But hey boys cooking? Rad

SOTYTT = School of the You Tube Tutorial? :lol:

That reminds me of a neighbour, years ago when my eldest son (aka Cuteneurorad) was about to start his medical study, she advised him to buy a medical encyclopedia........

I think I ran into instructions for that in my Joy of Cooking.

Did somebody say squirrel? I'm anxious to try one again. My grandpa use to hunt them all the time. It help keep his family from starving.

She is scary. She is the only fundie I have read about that even though her children MAY want to go to college, her and her husband do not believe in taking ANY state aid, whether it be grants, loans or scholarships so poor Amber ( their oldest) does not have a chance in hell to leave. They use the "Render unto Caesar" verse to support their logic. Check out her cleaning list. It is a wonder any schooling gets done. She also has her husband do the schooling for their oldest even though he works and travels full time. Those kids are on their own.

Her/Their (not sure who's writing the post) kids are learning ancient Greek, so they're probably only be interested in having receptive/passive skills, i.e. reading and (not applicable here) listening, but if you want to have productive/active skills in a language, i.e. writing and speaking, you need to get feedback from native or high-level speakers to improve. And that probably entails speaking to heathens at some point.

Yeah, people can teach themselves things on their own, but professional educators (fuck the scare quotes) can save a lot of the time their kids probably spend looking around on YouTube for the most godly squirrel-skinning video. It's great to encourage kids to be independent, self-motivated learners, but that's gotta be a drag when that's the biggest part of the educational system your parents have decided on for you AND you aren't allowed full access to all potential educational materials, namely the non-fundie-approved ones.

Call me a wacky chick, but I always thought it kinda helped to have someone around who, you know, actually knew more about something than I did. And I have always been an extremely self-motivated learner. And have these gals never heard of the Socratic method?

You can learn some things in a vacuum, but you damn well can't learn EVERYTHING in one.

Lemme get this straight: if the Bible doesn't say you must do something, there is no reason at all to possibly do it. Amiright?

Eating chipmunks grosses me out. Plus I don't get how this makes sense as an example of self-teaching advanced high school subjects. 1) It's not really comparable to trigonometry and 2) If the boys are going to be killing and cooking these animals, you'd think it would be a good idea for an adult to walk them through it and show them how to do it safely.

The boys can self-teach how to kill chipmunks so there's no value in a high school teacher who knows history or science? Just doesn't follow.

My thinking exactly. The two are entirely different fields of learning.

Did somebody say squirrel? I'm anxious to try one again. My grandpa use to hunt them all the time. It helped keep his family from starving.

My maternal grandfather, also; and I am pretty sure it was for the same reason. When my mom was growing up, they were among the poorest of the poor.

Okay everybody, I was *not* snarking on destitute people eating whatever meat they can find. I was snarking on Raising Olives viewing self-taught rodent killing as comparable to a high school math course.

Archived