IGNORED

Why the Maxwells do what they do

kpmom

And that's the one that works. My sisters and I were never pressured, for example, to go to Mass and the sacraments the way most of our Catholic friends and cousins were--and we wound up the ones who were the most observant. My sisters are, to this day; I was, until I was about 55.

I think that, deep down inside, Stevehovah isn't confident that his way has any intrinsic allure. He realizes that it is in fact grim and joyless, so much so that something as minor as Little League or a Disney movie would throw open the door and his kids would go rushing out, never to return.

I think you're on to something there. He probably is very insecure, which would account for his controlling ways. And that Teri has to control his internet usage (sorry, can't remember where I read that). He doesn't seem to trust himself, and the only way he can stay on his "straight and narrow" is by controlling everyone around him. No questions allowed, because then he'd start questioning himself?

In contrast, like yours, my parents were very good with allowing questions and being liberal. For all of my teens, my immediate family joked that I was "the last Catholic standing". The rest of the family returned, bit by bit, and are now back to being (very) liberal Catholics. Except me. I still consider myself a cultural Catholic, and while I have no desire to return, it is kind of nice to know for me that should I ever wish to return, I'd be welcome with no questions asked. And my family doesn't care either way. Much as I pretend to loathe common-places, I find that it seems to be true that if you love someone, set them free.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sarah posted an email they received from a dad who read Keeping Our Children's Hearts.

He was so impressed, he's putting their suggestions into action right now;

"Just finished reading Keeping Our Children’s Hearts. It was an amazing book backed up with God’s Word. I started applying the principles and making changes to re-capture my 5 yr old’s heart. I have become more selfless and have let go of a lot of busy stuff around the house.

My wife and I love homeschooling our three children and are doing more and more to shelter our kids and ourselves from the negative influences of the world.

Your conference inspired us and convicted me as Dad and leader of my home to make changes. My kids are already responding in amazing ways to me and my new focus and attitude. Thanks be to God for your ministry. HE has used it in a impactful way in our family.

Love in Christ,

A Dad"

Hmmm, seems like Steve-O has done a little editing:

Just finished reading Keeping Our Children’s Hearts. It was an amazing book backed up with God’s Word. I started applying the principles and making changes to re-capture my son’s heart. I have become more selfless and have let go of a lot of busy stuff around the house.

My wife and I love homeschooling our three children and are doing more and more to shelter our kids and ourselves from the negative influences of the world.

Your conference inspired us and convicted me as Dad and leader of my home to make changes. My kids are already responding in amazing ways to me and my new focus and attitude. Thanks be to God for your ministry. HE has used it in a impactful way in our family.

Love in Christ,

A Dad

Stevie really does enjoy editing comments. He posted one of my comments on the blog congratulating NRAnna and Chris on their baby and asked whether Anna's folks would be out soon to visit their grandchild. He cut out that bit. It wasn't rude or anything.

Instead of "Why We Do What We Do," it should say "Here's How Stevus Lordicus Wishes Every Patriarch Should Think And Act." And I concur with the suspicion that this one was directed at FJ. :evil:

Same here!!

I actually thought maybe the letter was written by one of us and Stevie was fooled into thinking it was from one of his fans. Honestly, you can totally read it tongue-in-cheek since it's got a lot of the common language we use in talking about Stevie.

Did anyone else get that feel? (and no, I did not write the letter!)

I'm pretty sure we don't hear of the families that are completely Maxwellised cause they give up the idol of the Internet. It's ok for the Maxwell's, cause they use it for "ministry", but I could see their followers refraining from blogging etc because it could become an idol.

That could be true. Even the Maxwells are guarded against the ebil interwebs despite their dependence on technology. In Preparing Sons, Steve constantly stressed the importance of treating the internet as a tool and not a "toy". He banned all video games (of course) because it 'served no purpose'. Teri also warned against trolling the internet forums and personal webpages as it took precious time away from family. I could imagine that a newly Maxwelled family would shut off all internet access unless it's work-related. However, I can't imagine most fundie families banning outside friendships and micro-supervise their teens. It's such an unnatural way to live!

I can imagine a newly Maxwellized family getting carried away and banning everything that the Maxwells have banned, but it's more difficult to imagine any family (other than the Maxwells) keeping it up for more than a few months, let alone year after year after year. The ban on sports alone would be too much for most dads.

I think that, deep down inside, Stevehovah isn't confident that his way has any intrinsic allure. He realizes that it is in fact grim and joyless, so much so that something as minor as Little League or a Disney movie would throw open the door and his kids would go rushing out, never to return.

Reminds me of the joke told in Ceaucescu-era Romania: (beautiful actress of your choice) visits the dictator and is offered anything she likes.

'Open the borders,' she purrs.

'Ah!' cries the dictator. 'You want to be alone with me!'

Stevie really does enjoy editing comments. He posted one of my comments on the blog congratulating NRAnna and Chris on their baby and asked whether Anna's folks would be out soon to visit their grandchild. He cut out that bit. It wasn't rude or anything.

There have been other FJ'ers who have had their comments edited so the meaning was changed. This has happened during the current blog and back from the MOTH board days. If these are the ones who know about, I imagine there are many others that were edited as well.

Hmmm, seems like Steve-O has done a little editing:

Oh, no WAY. We can't have been the only people creeped out by the fact that the kid is five, then. He wouldn't have edited it if he didn't know, deep down, how bad it looks and why.

Steve Maxwell: Taking The "Fun" Out Of "Fundamentalism" Since 1986.

I don't know why this struck me as so funny but I'm cracking up over here. :lol: That should be on a t-shirt.

There have been other FJ'ers who have had their comments edited so the meaning was changed. This has happened during the current blog and back from the MOTH board days. If these are the ones who know about, I imagine there are many others that were edited as well.

Oh yeah, he edited mine once - it was something to do with them constantly asking for prayer for themselves, the bus, that THEY would have a place to park, that THEY would have time to visit walmart, that THEY would have everything great blah blah blah at a time where there had been numerous earthquakes, tidal waves across the world and many of the middle eastern conflicts were beginning and so many people were being killed - so I asked them to pray for the world and that their prayer should not be so self focused. They cut the "praying for themselves" part out and asked for more prayer (for a new tyre or such I believe) the next day.

Heres what I bet the real letter ACTUALLY said: (bold and italic my changes)

"Just finished reading Keeping Our Children’s Hearts. It was an fairly good and helpful book backed up with some Bible quotes I havn't managed to really read into yet. I started applying some principles and making changes to help me reconnect with a son I hope I csan spend more time with in the future. I have become more selfless and have let go of a lot of busy stuff around the house.

My wife and I love homeschooling our three children and are doing a bit more shelter our kids and ourselves from the extreme negatives of the outside world, for example letting them play harmless games but removing those containing guns and fighting people.

Your conference inspired us and convicted me as Dad and leader of my home to make changes. My kids were a bit unhappy to loose some of their games and Action Man toys but are now happy. Praise God!. HE and He only is helping me to be a better dad!

Love in Christ,

A Dad"

Oh wow, they sure did edit that 5 year old part, didn't they? Where did they get the idea that was creepy? Hmmmm

:greetings-waveyellow: Hi Steve!

I don't know why this struck me as so funny but I'm cracking up over here. :lol: That should be on a t-shirt.

That is because Stevus is a fundie, aka fun-die.

There is a sucker born every minute. And, apparently, the Maxwells base their entire existence on those suckers. As long as there are stupid, desperate people in the world, the Maxwells and their kind will keep doing what they do.

I am simply immensely grateful that there has never been a person in my life so desperate as to look to absurdity to solve their problems.

There is a sucker born every minute. And, apparently, the Maxwells base their entire existence on those suckers. As long as there are stupid, desperate people in the world, the Maxwells and their kind will keep doing what they do.

I am simply immensely grateful that there has never been a person in my life so desperate as to look to absurdity to solve their problems.

Agree! Their r a few comments posted!

Mary on April 12, 2013 at 11:03 pm said:

Our family can relate so well with this post. The changes we implemented after our attending the conference reunited our family to a common purpose. This book was one of many we purchased, shared with others, repurchased and now is used as an annual resource. :cracking-up: Something new always pops out each time we re-read it. We are so grateful to Steve and Teri for making this available. We highly recommend it.

Elizabeth :cracking-up: on April 12, 2013 at 11:08 pm said:

I’m not a parent, but read this book one/two year(s) ago. My parents had learned the same principles, which God taught them through various means. Because of how they implemented God’s truth in these areas, they have my heart and they have kept me from much heartache. Now I desire that other parents will have access to this godly teaching. Just last night I ordered this book for my life-long library, and I intend to share the book with my babysitting family. I long for God to change more parents’ hearts in the way this Dad described in writing you.

Oh Stevie, people are sharing and lending the crap you write!

LOL at the posters - good work! :clap:

[link=][/link]

Long time lurker, first time poster. I wonder if Steve wrote this "letter" himself!

That's exactly what I suspected earlier in this thread but no one commented on it. I thought it sounded suspect to self-promotion.

I think the Maxwells are successful because they appear so deceptively wholesome and loving to outsiders. It's only when you read their books in depth or attend their conferences that you realize the really crazy stuff. The family looks so happy and they've "successfully" homeschooled all 8 of their children. It's a fundie/fundie-lite's dream. I'm sure a struggling fundie mom sees this and gets sucked into the Maxwell vortex because all of that is so appealing. That is where the danger lies. There is nothing wholesome about shutting out the world, of preventing children from having mindless fun, of forcing you kids to live in perpetual infantilized state. However, you can't see the damage done until you get up close and personal. Elizabeth Muncks realized this once she became engaged to Joseph. The crazy was unveiled to her through Skype and she quickly left. That's another fallout from the Maxwell craziness. Steve spends so much time teaching his kids to treat all outsiders as crazy and unworthy, he forget to let his kids know the rest of the world think likewise of them.

Archived