IGNORED

Lori Alexander's Headaches & Brain Tumor Return - MERGE

Want More Babies

Lori is new to me. Why did she originally think too many carrots were causing her headache? Is that even a thing?

I was wondering about this as well. I've never heard of carrots being associated with headaches.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering about this as well. I've never heard of carrots being associated with headaches.

I think it's just another sign that she has brain damage and that her husband is an ass for letting her go so long before an MRI.

Hell, I've had MRIs just because of an abnormal to me migraine that mimiced a stroke. I don't know why she would wait so long for one if she started having chronic headaches.

I think it's just another sign that she has brain damage and that her husband is an ass for letting her go so long before an MRI.

Hell, I've had MRIs just because of an abnormal to me migraine that mimiced a stroke. I don't know why she would wait so long for one if she started having chronic headaches.

It really is bizarre. My dad is a cancer survivor. He has done the normal thing that everyone does where you first get checked every 3 months I think, then 6 months, then every year, etc. However, he once had some scary symptoms, and he hauled ass to the doctor. Actually twice that has happened. Thankfully, both times, it was not the cancer returning, but some other minor thing that had similar symptoms. Point being, cancer survivors don't normally play with anything that looks anything like their cancer looked!

There are a lot of bizarre things about Lori and Ken. As many of us know, Lori's father was a doctor and pathology was his field. It is weird that Lori hates certain aspects of modern medicine and has blogged about vaccines causing autism and other illnesses. The fact that Lori spent six weeks with bad headaches while having a previous history of brain tumors waited to seek medical help is weird. As for Ken, I think he is a lot like some of other fundie men who have beliefs in anti-vaxing and hatred of certain aspects of the medical field. He has to know about Lori's black salve and ice dipping posts.

It really is bizarre. My dad is a cancer survivor. He has done the normal thing that everyone does where you first get checked every 3 months I think, then 6 months, then every year, etc. However, he once had some scary symptoms, and he hauled ass to the doctor. Actually twice that has happened. Thankfully, both times, it was not the cancer returning, but some other minor thing that had similar symptoms. Point being, cancer survivors don't normally play with anything that looks anything like their cancer looked!

Exactly, while nothing was found in my MRI, I was told by a neurologist that if I had any repeat of the symptoms that I needed more testing, and as far as we know it's just connected to my history of migraines.

She has a history of a brain tumor and she ignored the symptoms, and her husband ignored them too. There is something really wrong there.

Exactly, while nothing was found in my MRI, I was told by a neurologist that if I had any repeat of the symptoms that I needed more testing, and as far as we know it's just connected to my history of migraines.

She has a history of a brain tumor and she ignored the symptoms, and her husband ignored them too. There is something really wrong there.

:agree: Every time I have a twinge in the general area of prior diagnosis, I wonder if the cancer's back.

Anyway, is there a possibility she denied it to herself? Felt so bad about the possibility of growths, that she blocks it out? She's had some practice at selectively recognizing reality. She seems strong-willed enough to successfully hide/deny. I've done the same thing, hope that if I don't think/look, the problem will go away on its on. Could she just be that kind of scared?

This makes a lot of sense.

I wish her well.

I think the whole carrots thing is just denial. I hear this sort of thing often. It is just human nature (IMO) to deny scary things. I've had women with fungiating masses tell me that they thought it was just a "little infection" or women with breast masses tell me that they thought it was just due to a "sports injury". I myself have ignored symptoms out of fear. Anyway, I am empathetic to Lori's denial of her symptoms.

Just as an aside: meningiomas are generally benign but there are different types - some more aggressive than others and there is a subtype of meningioma that is malignant.

Lori's posting for today is about continuing to obey the Lord and trusting him. I'm not surprised she is doing these kinds of postings. As I mentioned before, she will never question God or even the existence of God.

I wonder if she'd ever choose a homeschooled, youtube-educated neurosurgeon or go with the original medical school-trained formula.

I wonder if she'd ever choose a homeschooled, youtube-educated neurosurgeon or go with the original medical school-trained formula.

That depends - did they go to ebil preschool?

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/04/brain-surgery-update.html

The neurosurgeon who performed brain surgery on me nine years ago didn't retire! When my dad called him, he wanted to do my surgery again. The MRI was last Wednesday and by Friday morning, we were headed up to USC to see my surgeon.

On the drive up, Ken was telling me about this neurosurgeon at UCLA that Steven was recommended by the head of neurosurgery at UT Houston. He uses endoscopic surgery where he has a huge screen up he can look at during surgery. I told Ken how much I would love to go to him...

My surgeon at USC said this tumor is a bit larger than my last tumor and is hugging the carotid arteries. It completely fills the area where the pituitary lives. It is pushing against the optic nerve and six other major nerves. He is hoping it is the same consistency as the past one or it will be a much longer and complicated surgery. He was booked until May 9th.

I looked at him and told him I can't wait until May 9th. I am too sick. He said his associate who has been trained under him the past 9 years may be able to do it sooner. He is much younger and does endoscopic surgery...God listening to the cry of His child's heart...

Shortly after, the younger doctor came in and all of us discussed my options. He is planning on going up my nose to get to it and if he needs to see it better, he will drill a hole in my forehead. He had an opening for surgery this next Monday the 22nd at 11:00.

Nine years ago my surgery at USC was a nightmare. However, several of the events that made it a nightmare {having to go up the night before and being pumped full of cortisone which made me extremely ill, surgery being delayed eight hours the next day, coming out of anesthesia was frightening to say the least, and a few other events I don't wish to share...} seem to be resolved.

I don't have to go up the night before...YAY! I don't have to be pumped full of cortisone! I get to have the same cocktail of drugs I had for my neck fusion which made waking up a matter of just opening my eyes and saying "Hi!"

My specific prayer requests are for a successful surgery, especially that they can remove every single tumor cell so it will never grow back. A quick recovery would be wonderful. My poor husband's stress level also. {I told him the first 23 years of marriage I intentionally caused him stress and the past 9 years I have unintentionally caused him stress with two brain surgeries, neck fusion, etc.}

I already see God in so many of the details. He has been so good and faithful to me and I know He will be until the day He takes me home. Thank you so much for your love and prayers. God does love me through His people.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/04/brain-surgery-update.html

...because all those other people he's operating on between now and May 9 couldn't possibly be as sick as she is, so she must have priority?

...because all those other people he's operating on between now and May 9 couldn't possibly be as sick as she is, so she must have priority?

Well, he didn't actually give her priority, he referred her to an associate who apparently does have the time in his schedule to do it before the 9th. So those other people won't be affected, thankfully.

And after reading this: "this tumor is a bit larger than my last tumor and is hugging the carotid arteries. It completely fills the area where the pituitary lives. It is pushing against the optic nerve and six other major nerves..." And this: "He is planning on going up my nose to get to it and if he needs to see it better, he will drill a hole in my forehead..." I can kind of understand her sense of urgency.

I can't stand Lori, but I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone. :?

I hope her surgery goes well.

It infuriates me beyond words, though, that assuming her surgery and other treatment with state of the art medical technology go well, she will go right back to encouraging others to shun evidence-based medicine in favor of useless or actively harmful treatment for their medical issues.

Well, he didn't actually give her priority, he referred her to an associate who apparently does have the time in his schedule to do it before the 9th. So those other people won't be affected, thankfully.

And after reading this: "this tumor is a bit larger than my last tumor and is hugging the carotid arteries. It completely fills the area where the pituitary lives. It is pushing against the optic nerve and six other major nerves..." And this: "He is planning on going up my nose to get to it and if he needs to see it better, he will drill a hole in my forehead..." I can kind of understand her sense of urgency.

Presumably if the doctor had looked at all the info and felt that this surgery couldn't wait until May 9, he would have said 'yikes, let me see if my associate can do this more quickly' without being prompted, or even rearranged his own schedule to bump her up to the front.

Her belief that she's too sick to wait is understandable. Lord knows I'd be all NOW NOW NOW MAKE IT BETTER AND FIX IT NOW myself, but that isn't a medical decision. Informing her doctor that she 'can't wait' because she's 'too sick' is just trying to push her way to the front of the line, special snowflake style.

When it comes to something this serious, I have some sympathy for pushing. There are times where it is warranted.

This.

When it comes to something this serious, I have some sympathy for pushing. There are times where it is warranted.

Yeah, I don't blame her either. The longer you wait the longer you risk damage - for example if it's pressing on the optic nerve, that can cause permanent vision loss. It sounds like it wasn't an emergency situation or they would have had her in surgery when she went to the ER, but I don't blame her for wanting to get it taken out sooner than a month later.

As someone who has a benign brain tumor, I can tell you that even if your condition is serious - a neurosurgeon is unfortunately dealing with many many other patients just like you. So yes you do have to advocate for yourself! Just because a Neurosurgeon can't move you up to a sooner date doesn't mean your situation isn't serious or life threatening. Anything putting pressure on your brain IS serious, benign or not.

I will say thought I certainly find it strange that Lori's followup is only one MRI every 5 years. Normally it's annually. Personally my MRIs are annually. A LOT can change in 5 years. That's the first I have heard of a brain tumor survivor only being checked once every five years.

Of course if she had actually gone to the doctor after a week of headaches, she would have been completely recovered by now. I understand she's probably freaking out right now - but not long ago this was just "too many carrots and not worth checking out." :angry-banghead:

I will say thought I certainly find it strange that Lori's followup is only one MRI every 5 years. Normally it's annually. Personally my MRIs are annually. A LOT can change in 5 years. That's the first I have heard of a brain tumor survivor only being checked once every five years.

I think her first tumor was awhile ago, like 2001. It depends on the cancer but with many cancers as you get further and further out you don't have to get checked up as often. I just assumed she had more frequent follow up when it first happened. I think her MRIs were every other year though now, not five.

I think her first tumor was awhile ago, like 2001. It depends on the cancer but with many cancers as you get further and further out you don't have to get checked up as often. I just assumed she had more frequent follow up when it first happened. I think her MRIs were every other year though now, not five.

The recommended follow up for meningioma is an MRI or CT every one to three years. Given that this tumor is in a bad place I'm surprised they didn't have more frequent follow up but I hate to second guess anyone else's medical decision making when i have never met the patient.

Of course if she had actually gone to the doctor after a week of headaches, she would have been completely recovered by now. I understand she's probably freaking out right now - but not long ago this was just "too many carrots and not worth checking out." :angry-banghead:

This is why it makes me angry that she's handing out medical advice. Within days of her diagnosis she was encouraging people to let ear infections and UTIs go untreated. My grandmother died of complications from a UTI. Left untreated they can lead to kidney damage.

Lori's resistance to medical treatment allowed her tumor to go untreated much longer than it should have. She is in no position to be encouraging others to stay home and self diagnose/treat. But she does. She has a reckless disregard for the health of her readers. She is not a medical professional. Period.

t makes me angry that she's handing out medical advice. Within days of her diagnosis she was encouraging people to let ear infections and UTIs go untreated. My grandmother died of complications from a UTI. Left untreated they can lead to kidney damage.

As someone who recently had The UTI From Hell (or, "Why a Urine Specimen Shouldn't Look Like Cranapple Cocktail"), I can attest to this. Perhaps certain young, healthy adults might not suffer permanent harm from toughing out minor infections, but people immured in black-and-white thinking put themselves and their loved ones in danger when they take an all-or-nothing approach to health care.

Archived