IGNORED

Lori Alexander's Headaches & Brain Tumor Return - MERGE

Want More Babies

I feel terrible for her, I really do. My nephew had a benign brain tumor about 5 years ago and the fear we felt waiting for him to come out of surgery is nothing anyone should ever have to experience. My nephew, however, is an incredibly kind, funny and caring young man. Lori, on the other hand, is smug, condescending, self-righteous prig and I don't think anything will ever change that.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cousin had a brain tumour surgically removed and had to be awake during the surgery (anaesthetised of course). I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Lori is the type of person who could have an amazing female neurosurgeon save her life, and her whole blog would be about how that woman's family is suffering because she works outside of the home.

Oh, ITA. If she didn't leave him when she was well, why would she leave him now? She needs him and she needs insurance.

Interesting, her father is a retired doctor. She really has led a comfortable life, financially, hasn't she?

Yeah, what was that salt and water remark about? Maybe some medical fjers can chime in?

And I agree with all who have wished her successful surgery and recovery.

She's worried about something called SIADH (syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone secretion) which can occur with brain tumors (among other things). The body produces too much anti-diuretic hormone which inappropriately tells the kidneys to hang onto water. This leads to a decrease in serum sodium concentrations (through dilution) which can be serious. We usually restrict free water for SIADH. Giving extra salt is usually reserved for very serious cases. Lori shouldn't be self-diagnosing or treating SIADH. She should wait till she's been told she has it then follow her doctor's instructions in restricting free water. Restricting free water and taking in extra salt right now could hurt her.

She's worried about something called SIADH (syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone secretion) which can occur with brain tumors (among other things). The body produces too much anti-diuretic hormone which inappropriately tells the kidneys to hang onto water. This leads to a decrease in serum sodium concentrations (through dilution) which can be serious. We usually restrict free water for SIADH. Giving extra salt is usually reserved for very serious cases. Lori shouldn't be self-diagnosing or treating SIADH. She should wait till she's been told she has it then follow her doctor's instructions in restricting free water. Restricting free water and taking in extra salt right now could hurt her.

Ah, thanks docmom. It did sound like she decided to restrict water on her own, didn't it? I hope that's not the case.

Lori got 57 comments and a lot of them wish her well. I was still annoyed with those who call Lori an inspriation and several people have said that Lori's advice has helped them. Lori's fangirls remind me a lot of Stephanie Nielson's fangirls, they don't see their idol for what she is.

Ken isn't a an orthodontist. He is a business consultant to orthodontists. I get the feeling that he partially works from home. The oldest son Ryan works for Ken. Maybe Ken would let Ryan run things while he is tending to Lori. I can also see Lori having her daughter Cassi take care of her. Cassi still lives at home.

Ah, I read "runs a large orthodontal practice" and assumed that it was his. Thanks for clarifying.

Sarah's Daughters Don't Panic

Even though Sarah faced many fearful situations in her life, she faced them with courage and without giving into fear. God says that we are "Sarah's daughters" when we don't give into fear! This is a biggy, isn't it? We as women are prone to so many fears, but God is looking for women who have learned to fully trust Him in every situation. If we put our trust in the Lord, we will not be overcome with debilitating fears. We are either going to fear, or trust.

{Nancy Campbell}

As I grow older, the more I see the value in trusting God with everything. I have been through many trials with my health but God has seen me through all of them. He keeps His promises. All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His promises. {Romans 8:28}

I cling to that verse and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. God's Word is living and active, sharper than a two-edged sword. In order to have a gentle and quiet spirit like Sarah without giving into fear one must learn to abide in Jesus.

How do you abide in Jesus? Is it struggling hard to do better? No, it is spending time in His Word, meditating on it, and praying. Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly. Spend time every morning in His Word. Let it transform you for we are transformed by renewing our mind with God's truth.

Jesus tells us to abide in Him in John 15. Know Him. The only way you know someone is by spending time with them. The world is a scary place. If we spend time listening to the news and meditating on it, we will live in fear. Whereas, if we spend time listening to the Lord and His goodness, we will live in peace and security.

Seek those things which are above...Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. {Colossians 3:1,2} If you have a problem with fear, look up all the verses about fear and meditate on them often. They will renew your mind, thus transforming you by putting your whole trust in the Lord and not being afraid.

Anything you struggle with, meditate on Scriptures that deal with that struggle and you will experience that struggle being overcome by the Lord. You will experience the freedom Christ provided for you.

I encourage you to become Sarah's daughter and know Jesus. Really know Him. It is the best investment of time you can make.

***Thank you all so much for your many encouraging comments yesterday.

They really lifted my spirits.

I think Lori is doing what any normal, sane person would do, have fear about what lies ahead. Of course she cannot say she is scared, but she writes a post about not panicking, not having fear, etc. I wonder if she is questioning God at this point?

I think Lori is scared, but I don't see her questioning God or religion. I see her viewing her brain tumor as God testing her and it also allows her to act like the physically suffering martyr who still goes out blogs to "mentor" other women.

Whoa, just found this thread. I sincerely wish Lori a successful and speedy recovery, and that she be able to maintain courage in the crappy in-between.

She isn't any less a twat, but even a twat does not deserve a brain tumor. :(

I think Lori is scared, but I don't see her questioning God or religion. I see her viewing her brain tumor as God testing her and it also allows her to act like the physically suffering martyr who still goes out blogs to "mentor" other women.

I agree with you. Her leghumpers are already blaming the tumor on "an attack by Satan."

Yes, this... while it's not as bad as a malignant tumor, it's still bad and benign tumors can be dangerous themselves.

She still faces a lot of danger from the risks of the surgery itself, and possibly having (or already having from the first tumor, as has been discussed before) a lasting brain injury. She is right about something, the risk of a benign tumor is growing and overcrowding which leads to pressure problems. If it gets to a place you can't remove it and/or keep the growth under control, you have a big problem.

I don't know why she is going to eat tons of salt and little water. I don't think being dehydrated would help her... :?

Edit: I put some details about the risks Lori would face under a spoiler because I thought they could be upsetting or triggering.

Only 2 reason I can think of: 1) she has low sodium and that is NOT they way to correct that. We always just restricted fluids. or 2) hypertonic solutions (IV solutions) will draw fluid out of cells, and are used when there is brain swelling. (Due to fluids, not masses)

Oh, that's brilliant. Self diagnosing SIADH. I have recently had to care for a patient who had hypernatremia, who was having seizures. Wasn't pretty at all. No hx of seizures. That is the last thing she needs.

As little use as I have for Lori and her husband I do feel bad for her. I could never wish something like that on anybody. I hope she recovers quickly.

Only 2 reason I can think of: 1) she has low sodium and that is NOT they way to correct that. We always just restricted fluids. or 2) hypertonic solutions (IV solutions) will draw fluid out of cells, and are used when there is brain swelling. (Due to fluids, not masses)

I did think of #2 but then I decided that would most likely NOT be managed by advising her on a different diet, but in the hospital.

Lori got 57 comments and a lot of them wish her well. I was still annoyed with those who call Lori an inspriation and several people have said that Lori's advice has helped them. Lori's fangirls remind me a lot of Stephanie Nielson's fangirls, they don't see their idol for what she is.

No - but considering what she currently faces, I'm inclined to a certain level of happiness that she has leg-humpers to cheer her on. Beats facing mortality with only Ken for company.

Her new blog post is about fighting infections with lemon and honey. Not a good sign.

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/04/fighting-infections-naturally.html

Beware of taking antibiotics. They are way over prescribed now and lead to all sorts of diseases, I believe. My dad almost died from an antibiotic. I want to remind you that I am not a doctor. This is just my opinion so take it as such!

I'm not a doctor, but still read my long entry about how modern medicine is bad!

Ugh. My husband had a brain tumor that required surgery a few years ago. He gets annual MRIs. Surprised Lori didn't. And very surprised she didn't call her neurosurgeon much sooner. You have to take these things seriously! One of my biggest fears is the tumor coming back. She is acting very irresponsibly with her health.

I don't want to be a total downer, and maybe her recent posts are just more of her typical crap. But I also wonder if they are having trouble finding a surgeon for some reason... like maybe it's not in a good location to operate on. And that's why she is bringing out the alternative medicine in full force.

Ugh. My husband had a brain tumor that required surgery a few years ago. He gets annual MRIs. Surprised Lori didn't. And very surprised she didn't call her neurosurgeon much sooner. You have to take these things seriously! One of my biggest fears is the tumor coming back. She is acting very irresponsibly with her health.

I think she said she was at the point where she didn't need them every year, so maybe this was a "no MRI" year.

Her new blog post is about fighting infections with lemon and honey. Not a good sign.

I'm not a doctor, but still read my long entry about how modern medicine is bad!

Again, I've seen this play out when people (who could have afforded it) skipped regular treatments and recommended treatments for these kinds of things. Looking back, some of us wonder if it was a form of suicide to replace chemo with citrus and prayer....

And the Atropa belladonna in my neighbor's landscaping could kill me in minutes, Lori. But it must be a better alternative for my menstrual cramps than something I can buy in a bottle because it's an organically-grown plant, amiright? Sheesh. :doh:

There's nothing moral or just or Christian in attempting to scaremonger the gullible away from legitimate medical treatments. If, as another poster suggested, Lori's sublimating her fears about her prognosis into an allopathic medicines might be bad, mmmkay? spiel, then she's not being truthful with herself, and she's being reckless with her readership. In other words, she's just continuing to do what she's always done.

I am sorry Lori is unwell and that she and her family are having to go through this. I wish that she would choose to either blog honestly and forthrightly about her medical journey, or that she would close her online ministry/blog until she recovers her health. Then she can go back to dishing out her snarkable Titus 2 tripe.

I'm probably reading too much into her ramblings, but I wonder if she's refusing the usual steroids used to reduce cerebral edema and has instead decided to opt for a self-concocted all natural alternative of dehydration/salt-consumption.

Is her headship down with the alternative treatments? (I'm surprised, I would expect a guy like that to consider himself an expert on modern medicine by virtue of working in a dentist's office.) She mentions that she thought she was having symptoms back in May from eating too many carrots. No mention of what Ken thought. I wonder if he failed some kind of headship test. Maybe he was supposed to notice she wasn't feeling well and order her to go to the doctor.

Archived