IGNORED

Special Fundie Necklace?

SunshineSwirl

Standing in line at the Lego store for their monthly free make and take. Behind me, but in front of a friend is a big sis (whom we believe is on a courtship outing with a less than fundie boy) with her little sisters, and my friend noticed them wearing this necklace with a patch style pendant but turned around to their backs. We spent the better of 10 minutes discussing if they were or not and decided, yes most definitely, with the big sis being given a little too much freedom with more eye make-up than one would expect and her boy that may or may not be courting her, but definitely trying to impress. Back to subject, my friend said she's seen it on other people that resembles fundies, but at the pool, so she assumed it was only turned around because of swimming. Now she's curious and I told her I'd come ask here. Any clue what the necklace means or why it's worn on their backs?

P.S. I hadn't realized you guys moved since my life prevented me from actually being involved.

Yup, I agree it's a Catholic thing. I had a friend in high school who wore one. She never talked about it and I never asked, but I'd caught a bit of what it said and figured it out. Her family was/is "very" Catholic. The kids were home schooled for awhile but were allowed to make the decision to go to public school when they got older. Eventually all the kids went to public school. I think they had 8 or 9 children. But they weren't dresses only and were totally allowed to wear makeup and such. My classmate even competed in a local beauty pageant.

I have one of those from when I was Catholic,but it has some Jesus and Mary actual photos on it. We were all given them before we made our first Communion or Conformation, I don't remember.I only wore it for whatever ceremony we were given it for and then it went in a drawer.

Oh, scapulars! I find them fascinating, especially the antique ones with embroidery and crochet. There are scapulars for just about everything, it seems like.

There's a particular kind of scapular called a "detente" that I *blush* collect. They're usually quite small and the embroidery is very delicate. They say (in English) "Cease! the Sacred Heart of Jesus is with me!" People pin them on their clothing or put them in their wallets. Sadly, I've read how the Carlists (Carlistas, aka supporters of a Spanish prince who lost out in a power struggle during the Napoleonic period, which led to sporadic civil war in Spain in the mid-19th century) would pin these detentes to their clothing to ward away the bullets. I rather doubt they worked as intended.

I grew up without much in the way of material religion, so statues, scapulars, medals, candles, images, pictures, ephemera are all fascinating to me.

These girls were all skirts, very long hair, perfect behaviour (even the youngest one), the boy talking but not directly to her, definitely no touching, but they didn't look alike and he seemed more modern, not quite jim bob old school dress. My friend and I, when discussing if it was a courting style of date, noted that even though they didn't have a big chaperone, the little ones would rat them out if they did anything so still affective. I sent the link to my friend to see if it looks right, but if they are just Catholic, they are definitely in the extreme more fundie family of Catholicism. Thank you guys!

These girls were all skirts, very long hair, perfect behaviour (even the youngest one), the boy talking but not directly to her, definitely no touching, but they didn't look alike and he seemed more modern, not quite jim bob old school dress. My friend and I, when discussing if it was a courting style of date, noted that even though they didn't have a big chaperone, the little ones would rat them out if they did anything so still affective. I sent the link to my friend to see if it looks right, but if they are just Catholic, they are definitely in the extreme more fundie family of Catholicism. Thank you guys!

Have you seen Michelle from thefarmhijibi? She is VERY Catholic and dresses kind of Amish.

Have you seen Michelle from thefarmhijibi? She is VERY Catholic and dresses kind of Amish. She also where Islamic headgear sometimes, so I don't really know what her thing is expect she likes to cover her hair.

Yeah I remember Michelle. Haven't caught up with all these lovely blogs in some time. I also remember some 'extra' Catholic ladies when I was Catholic in my younger years, but knowing what I know now, Catholic was the last thing on my mind as I ogled over these girls. Catholics seem normal to me now.

Ahh, I remember in high school, a Roman Catholic friend of mine wore one. We were on the bus together on a trip once, and I remember her joking not to worry, that if the bus crashed, she'd find time to throw her scapular around both our necks. She's the only person I knew who wore one on a regular basis, and my entire family is almost all Catholic.

Archived