IGNORED

Growing up Keller- Priscilla and Anna video

VincentvanGoGo

And Anna stares up at Priscilla like she does to Josh when it's Priscilla's turn to talk. So weird.

The contrast between Anna's camera ready makeup and Priscilla's natural face is stark. I'm a vain worldly woman who loves her makeup, but I wouldn't wear liquid eyeliner to hang out at my parents, even if my hypothetical brother in law was shooting a video for his website. I might slap on some foundation and lipgloss, but Anna was fully made up.

Josh posted some pics of cameras so it seems that TLC is behind this little trip. Probably a baby shower for Anna and another cameo for Davilla. That may explain why Anna had a fuckton a makeup on, Priss just may not been in the scene just yet or was still learning her lines. I'm quite concerned at how "josh" centric the duggar circus is becoming. A spinoff would be awful!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe there is an ATI accent, cause accent generally comes from people they are around, but kids who were raised fundie havent been around other people much except from other ATI people as it involves a lot of isolation.

Priscilla is difficult for me to work out exactly what is different about her, theres definetly something there though-whether she has a learning disability, low IQ, speech inpediment, problems from being a preemie, could be anything. She also could just be incredibly uneducated and trying to keep sweet.

I dont know how easy it would be to diagnose a fundie with Aspergers, cause theyre incredibly isolated and sheltered and that will affect social skills and speech, and also theres the obsessive nature of being a fundie. I have Aspergers and Im probably as obsessive over watching fundies and snarking on them as fundies are over their own religion. People have mistaken me for some form of fundie before, as I know about that sort of thing, and I am a very socially awkward oldest child of 6 with a traditionally minded mom.

I imagine most fundies with learning disabilities or anything that isnt actually visible are generally not recognised, their parents just think theyre being disobedient (like if they werent concentrating cause they have ADHD or something) and given extra beatings, and arent noticed if theyre falling behind in school because theyre being taught by their 15 year old sister and have parents with a low opinion of education. As long as they believe in God, have working genitals and are able to work or care for a child (depending on sex), theyre fine.

Josh posted some pics of cameras so it seems that TLC is behind this little trip. Probably a baby shower for Anna and another cameo for Davilla. That may explain why Anna had a fuckton a makeup on, Priss just may not been in the scene just yet or was still learning her lines. I'm quite concerned at how "josh" centric the duggar circus is becoming. A spinoff would be awful!

It is a little scary how TLC seems to be propping Josh and Anna up, but the possibility of their own show would seem to clash with Josh trying to get a job in the wingnut political arena. If he did start working for a fringe organization the Southern Poverty Law Center considers a hate group, TLC would have to do a ton of sanitizing.

I do think there's something off with Priscilla. It doesn't help that the ATI lifestyle is one of the best ways to hinder a person's developing communication skills I've ever seen. Not only do they not talk regularly to people outside their circle, they also don't read many books or watch TV, where people, especially kids, pick up new ways of expressing themselves. Plus they don't fully engage with their beliefs; they don't research, debate, or think deeply about them, and just end up parroting the same lines over and over. Younger kids can get lost in the shuffle of a large family and don't get as much personal attention as their older siblings, leaving them with less incentive and less opportunity to speak. Just another arrow in the quiver.

Of course all this is aggravated along gender lines as well. Gotta keep sweet. :chores-laundry:

Yeah I agree. She seems like a sweet girl who is also shy. Anna was shy & unsure of herself in the beginning & now look at her. I wonder if Priscilla will become more confidant in herself now that she is a mother? She may find her voice separate from David.

I do think there's something off with Priscilla. It doesn't help that the ATI lifestyle is one of the best ways to hinder a person's developing communication skills I've ever seen. Not only do they not talk regularly to people outside their circle, they also don't read many books or watch TV, where people, especially kids, pick up new ways of expressing themselves. Plus they don't fully engage with their beliefs; they don't research, debate, or think deeply about them, and just end up parroting the same lines over and over. Younger kids can get lost in the shuffle of a large family and don't get as much personal attention as their older siblings, leaving them with less incentive and less opportunity to speak. Just another arrow in the quiver.

Of course all this is aggravated along gender lines as well. Gotta keep sweet. :chores-laundry:

Wow, even Anna seems to be cringing a tiny bit every time Priscilla talks. You really see in this video how Anna does not keep sickly sweet like her sister or Michelle, maybe she finds them acting that way as gross as we all do.

As several people have pointed out on page 1 of this thread, Priscilla seems to be a tongue thruster. She appears to keep her tongue too far forward in her mouth and she also seems to have a slight lisp which is a symptom of tongue thrusting. She definitely needed speech therapy as a kid and might benefit from it even as an adult. If she did have therapy, the therapist might have uncovered other problems that Priscilla has.

For me it's more than the speech. It's the childlike quality...when she gets excited her face lights up like a small child that's been told they're going for ice-cream. She seems very sweet, but it's hard for me to believe she's a grown woman, much less someone's mother. I worry that she will be taken advantage of even worse than the avg. fundie housewife. David seems sketchy to me...

I had mentioned upthread that Priscilla reminded me of the title character in Agnes of God. It's been a long time since I saw the movie so I looked for some clips online. Yup, no question about it.

aYlgM4bPjL0

I had mentioned upthread that Priscilla reminded me of the title character in Agnes of God. It's been a long time since I saw the movie so I looked for some clips online. Yup, no question about it.

aYlgM4bPjL0

Agnes and Bernadette in "the song of Bernadette"

I dunno, this kind of feels like when lots of people had JD dxed with Asperger's. I think Prissy is a bit of an airhead with a speech impediment, but there's nothing glaring there for me to think it's anything else. And I love how "God" is credited with her white sandals instead of, you know, the person who fucking gave them that charity bag of shoes.

I'm so happy I went to a public school where I was given speech therapy for a couple of years to help me learn how to pronounce an r as an r instead of a w. I shudder to think of how I'd be walking around sounding like Barry Kripke from The Big Bang Theory if I were raised fundie. I still have to say r-heavy words like "rural" a bit slowly to get them out right, so my heart goes out to Priscilla, having a more noticeable issue and having to speak on camera as much as she does. She could be self-conscious about it, which could be affecting her mindset as well. She may seem perfectly normal, however that may be defined, when she's off-camera.

Useless vent, but why is every f'ing thing that they do or experience "such a blessing".

What the ever loving hell?????? :x

As several people have pointed out on page 1 of this thread, Priscilla seems to be a tongue thruster. She appears to keep her tongue too far forward in her mouth and she also seems to have a slight lisp which is a symptom of tongue thrusting. She definitely needed speech therapy as a kid and might benefit from it even as an adult. If she did have therapy, the therapist might have uncovered other problems that Priscilla has.

I have a tongue thrust, and have a slight lisp because of it. I used to have a severe lisp, but I corrected it on my own. Maybe I can't hear anything wrong with Priscilla's speech because she sounds just like I do!! Haha. I was never referred to a speech therapist in public school, and I don't think I ever will. There's nothing wrong with sounding a little bit different than others, and I have much more important things to worry about. Sometimes I get tongue twisted and it was a BITCH having a tongue thrust when I had an expander at the top of my mouth, but speech therapy was never something I felt I needed.

Although it may be part of how she speaks, it definitely doesn't explain everything. I've seen videos of myself talking and, while it sounds a bit different than most people, I'm nothing like that. And I don't think it makes me sound like I'm delayed. It's more the things she says and the tone of her voice than whatever slight speech impediment she might have.

Isn't it early for a trip that far with a new baby? Or not?

We drove from North Carolina to near-Atlanta with a similar-aged baby so we could let my grandparents meet their first grandchild; my grandmother was seriously ill and died six weeks later. The trip was a living hell with having to stop and nurse the baby, stop and change the baby, stop and soothe the baby, a child who to this day at almost 11 years old does not really like long car rides. It was worth it for the sake of my grandparents, who were in their 90s and were waiting for a first great-grandchild, but I would not have done it for any other reason.

I also felt really conflicted as a new mother to take a weeks-old baby into a nursing facility, since he hadn't had any but his first round of vaccinations, but all was well. Bottom line: if you're willing to put up with a lot of inconvenience and/or you have a really placid baby, it's probably OK to travel. Otherwise, have them come see you like the rest of our family was kind enough to do!

tuckerphez wrote:

I'm kind of surprised there was a map of the world on the wall. It just seems too worldly.

Nah, it shows all the places where missionaries are needed to enlighten heathens.

How come David doesn't provide a new pair of sandals? Isn't that his job?

Anna definitely looks older.

Also, who is supposed to answer their prayers? "Let's just put this out there on TV and someone will buy it for us!" How is that prayer? It's a donation request.

If it's that simple, I would like to put it on the hearts of my fellow FJers to fund a trip for Italy for me. Cough up! I'm Catholic, so it's totally a pilgrimage.

IIRC, the request for white sandals was when Priscilla was a little girl.

Nah, it shows all the places where missionaries are needed to enlighten heathens.

Yeah, but it was a map, not a globe. The world is still fundy flat so we're all good!

Maybe there is an ATI accent, cause accent generally comes from people they are around, but kids who were raised fundie havent been around other people much except from other ATI people as it involves a lot of isolation.

I was about to say this.

I grew up in a Southern Baptist church and the women spoke like Pris does, very airy, very bubbly, very overly sweet. I don't think she's necessarily impaired, but certainly sheltered, and DEEP into ATI/Gothard's standards for women. She's definitely stunted as far as maturity goes, but she's probably never had any serious real world exposure and experiences to cause her to grow up like normal people do.

Prissy creeps me out so much! There's totally something wrong with her (besides being a crazy brainwashed fundie, obviously) and sitting next to Anna makes it even more noticeable. Anna started to mimic her a little bit (which is natural I guess) but I could still tell, because Anna has become a lot better at speaking on camera thanks to 19KC.

So they've already traveled all the way from Chicago to Florida with the baby, and how old is he? Would travel be uncomfortable for Priscilla this early?

I'm late to the game :whistle: but I had 23 hours of labor, followed by an emergency c-section. When my daughter was 4 weeks old my Grandmother died and I drove (just me and her) 600 miles to the funeral. It wasn't the most comfortable, but I survived.

Archived