IGNORED

Women: Don't cut your damn hair!

snuggles911

My husband loves my short hair. To him, long hair is "mom hair"---my mother-in-law was an art student in the 50s, and always kept a bohemian style, including long hair (her hair was gorgeous).

I love having short hair, so it works out perfectly.

That's part of why I keep my hair long. My MIL is a very well-groomed woman with a gorgeous short bob. Years ago, when I tried something similar, I got compliments from everyone else, but hubby said, "Oh - you sort of look like my mom now."

Instant sexy mood killer.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the women who have crappy hair? I mean the kind that is baby fine, super thin, barely enough to cover your scalp type of hair? Because that's all I was blessed with - and if I let it go beyond the top of my shoulders, it looks like a stringy mess. So I keep it short, with a chin length bob generally being the best. Gives it some volume and lift. I would LOVE to have thick, luscious hair but I just don't, so I work with what I have.

When I was young, I had long long hair, and people were constantly bugging me to cut it. "You look like a damn hippie!" They said what a real, feminine girl would do is cut it short and put it on rollers so it would have some style and be ladylike. Meh. I say wear your hair whatever way feels good to you. You can't please the haterz no matter what you do--might as well please yourself!

I have been telling my niece for years that it is far easier to find someone who finds you attractive as you are, however you are, than to try to change yourself into someone else, and that no matter what you look like, there are, at a minimum, a few thousand people totally into that.

She just turned 14. Some boy commented on a picture of hers that she's "fat and ugly". I thought she might be upset, but she replied, "Whatevs, you're not into me, other people are." The following comments were a written account of an entitled teenage boy's head exploding. It was awesome.

What about the women who have crappy hair? I mean the kind that is baby fine, super thin, barely enough to cover your scalp type of hair? Because that's all I was blessed with - and if I let it go beyond the top of my shoulders, it looks like a stringy mess. So I keep it short, with a chin length bob generally being the best. Gives it some volume and lift. I would LOVE to have thick, luscious hair but I just don't, so I work with what I have.

This is me, too! I've tried to let my hair grow, but the longer it gets, the more limp, lank, and lifeless it gets, no matter what I try to do with it (which, admittedly, isn't that much as I've never been particularly gifted at hairstyling). I finally gave up some years ago and now keep it short and wispy, kind of like a slightly longer version of Jamie Lee Curtis's cropped 'do.

As for my husband's preferences when it comes to my hair, I haven't got a clue. I don't think I've ever even asked him. :think: :laughing-rolling:

So, if I cut my hair short, I'll avoid having Vox and Deti hit on me? Good to know! Where are the scissors...?

Good call! Newsflash: it's not that the entire population of women in the world is unaware of Vox and Deti's opinions on their appearances, it's that they have read this blog post, all of them, and have said to themselves, "I'm glad there's such an easy and effective way of avoiding the attentions of these two nincompoops." They should definitely take this personally.

In his latest post, Vox at alphagameplan.blogspot.com admonishes women who have the audacity to cut their hair short. How dare they ignore male preferences when it comes to female beauty.

He is angry b/c women have ignored a post he wrote two years ago stating that men think short hair is unattractive. ALL women should have long hair, according to him. If you have short hair you are obviously a rebellious feminist or a lesbian.

Vox wrote:

"It is true that Halle Berry and Charlize Theron are attractive with short hair. But what so many women fail to realize is that they are attractive IN SPITE of their short hair, and that they are even more attractive with long hair. And also, they are failing to take into account that very, very few women are as attractive as these two women who are very wealthy due to their exceptional genetic gifts."

A poster named Deti responded:

"Memo to women:

1. For the eleventy millionth time: Confidence in a woman means exactly jack-squat NOTHING to her physical and sexual attractiveness.

2. As a matter of fact, men are the sole arbiters of what is physically and sexually attractive in women.

3. Women do not get to decide what is physically and sexually attractive about them.

4. Women do not get to decide FOR MEN what men should find physically and sexually attractive."

Given how much I respect Vox and Deit's opinions, I'm going to start to grow out my hair down to my waist. How about you?

Yeah - because their looks are all that have made them successful. It's obvious that he wasn't refering to intelligence or dramatic talent as part of their "genetic gifts" :roll:

And what - he has no advice on clothing style or hair color? How are women supposed to know exactly what he likes so they can please him. Actually, I'm thinking that he wasn't ignored two years ago. I think all those smart, confident women are actively trying to repel him. :)

My daughter also has very fine, thin hair. It took her 5 years just to get the hair she has!! It looks great at shoulder length though! Curly and bouncy, adorable. :)

I will make a confession. I always wore my hair long when I was single (I still do, but now it's just because I like it) because I was always told that since most men prefer long hair, you might as well keep it long so as not to "scare" anyone off! Oy. :?

Omg. :roll: I look better in short hair. I get more compliments with short hair. I feel more attractive with short hair and I could give fuck all what anybody (including my husband; bonus! He prefers it.) thinks about it. And who in the hell does this dipstick think he is telling women what type of hairstyle to have or what they have a right to?! Bitch Puh-lease! :hand:

This. I have a lot of fine hair, so when it gets past my shoulders, it just looks stringy and lifeless. I find that the longest I can let my hair grow is shoulder length, but I prefer it chin length these days with layers as that's what looks best on me. I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks, as I've gotten a lot of compliments on my hair when it's shorter than shoulder length.

Brother Claddagh: "So are guys supposed to fall for the woman or the woman's hair? As long as she is happy with her hair isn't that what matters?"

My hair likes to frizz out and hiss at me when I try to brush it. I'm only growing mine out because I got bored with it being short. I often keep it braided to keep it out of my face.

When Mom went in for chemo treatment she cut all of her hair off...and threatened me with certain death if I tried the same. Dad liked Mom's hair long but he didn't care that it was short. He was more concerned with her recovery than her hair.

I don't give a rat's ass what any man thinks about my short hair. It's my hair, and I'll cut and style it any way I please.

Omg. :roll: I look better in short hair. I get more compliments with short hair. I feel more attractive with short hair and I could give fuck all what anybody (including my husband; bonus! He prefers it.) thinks about it. And who in the hell does this dipstick think he is telling women what type of hairstyle to have or what they have a right to?! Bitch Puh-lease! :hand:

Not to mention, did I miss the election where he was chosen the voice of all men? As with so many of the bloggers we snark about, there is way more different strokes for different folks in the world than most of them seem to recognize. Given his "ratings criteria, I aged out of being attractive a while back, have never been cute enough, etc. Yet I am married to a guy who tops out on his ratings criteria for men. Huh.... wonder how the hell that happened.

Oh, I know-- his criteria on both sides is full of shit?

I shaved my head about 2 months ago and have super short hair at the moment. My husband LOVES it and everyone says I look better with short hair, good thing I'm married or by this logic I wouldn't be attractive, right? :angry-banghead:

If I keep my hair long, I get mistaken for a 12 year old, MAYBE 14. With shorter hair, I get told I look 16-18.

I am 24, and would REALLY like to look my age, or at least 18.

People are all over me to let it grow out, and I probably will --when I'm 60.

Well I know my boyfriend absolutely prefers short hair, and I have ~refused~ to cut it for over 4 years. He hasn't, you know, asked me to because that would be gross, but I know he prefers it. I prefer it long, and long it shall stay, but I wonder what this gross specimen would have to say about it.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WHEN FACED WITH THIS SCENARIO YOU CRAZY LOON?!

I've had long long hair (past my bum) and short short hair (shaved on one side - it was the 80's and I liked Flock of Seagulls so forgive me). The only person who decides how long my hair should be at any given time is: ME. I don't care if other people like my hair - it is only important that I like my hair. My husband does not try and "lead" me or micromanage my life so he is happy with whatever I like - the same goes for him - I don't dictate what he does with his hair either.

I don't want to spend any time with people who feel the need to tell me what to do about my hair. If they asked I'd say "fuck you, that's why".

I have hair down to just above my ass and Ive been considering cutting it. My fiance is all for me cutting it. But his dad and grandparents think I should keep it. I think it might be a generation thing. We are 24 and they are a lot older. But you ask them and long is the way to go.

What a self-centered piece of shit Vox Day is. I had waist-length hair until my senior year of high school, and then kept cutting it shorter and shorter and now it's this edgy, chin-length on one side and super-short on the other-type haircut (with a pink streak!). I think I look great with short hair, and that's how I'm going to keep it. If someone came up to me and told me to grow my hair out long because "that's what men find attractive", I'd reply with a polite "fuck off."

I wonder what Vox or Deti would do if their wives/girlfriends lost their hair to cancer. Would they divorce/break up with them or make them wear wigs 24/7? I'd post this question on Vox's blog, but I'm worried their answers would make me want to vomit.

Fundies say such mixed things when it comes to appearance. They dress modestly to draw others' focus to their "countenance" and character rather than to their appearance. But they also say you should do everything you can to be attractive to your husband, including having long flowing sexy hair.

Newsflash to the asshats: the only person who gets to decide my hair length is me.

I've had everything from super short to long, put up and covered with a scarf. Right now it's all one length and very long. As long as I am happy with it, my husband is. Because he's a real man, not an immature jackass who has to dictate to his wife or anyone else what is or isn't sexy.

I once taught at a Christian school. I started the job with hair just past my shoulders. I have fine but thick hair and it tangles a lot. I got sick of combing out tangles and got it bobbed to chin length one spring. The entire school went mad over it. I was called to the principal's office to discuss what I had done. Some parents complained. And, my favorite, another single female colleague told me, near tears no less, that she was really sad for me that I had made this decision because it meant I would never get married.

I had a chin length bob when I met my husband. It did not seem to deter him from dating or marrying me. My hair is nearly shoulder blade length now, but mostly because we are living on a shoestring and it doesn't have to be cut as often if it is long. If I find a steady job (I substitute teach, now), I will probably have it bobbed again.

Men, Don't shave your damn balls!

Manscaping should be illegal; very few men are endowed with the exceptional genetic gifts to pull off the look.

Archived