IGNORED

That one where Abigail gives away the fridge...

Koala

Probably. In either the First or Second World War the military had to reduce height requirements in Glasgow because the city's population was so impoverished the men simply weren't tall enough to join the army.

Hey, maybe Abigail should take a monastic celibacy vow. It'd at least stop her trying to spread insufficient resources even more thinly between children who deserve better.

I keep hoping that Abigail and her husband would decide to emulate the many pious catholics who historically did take vows of celibacy despite being married. It is unusual and radical and would make a great blog.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In her latest post, Abigail says that blogging isn't about navel gazing, it's about being in community! Which I guess is why she's not allowing comments on her blog. She also says that her navel is full of lint and breast milk residue. So glad I know that.

In her latest post, Abigail says that blogging isn't about navel gazing, it's about being in community!

Because the only "community" that she knows or is part of is a virtual one. If Abigail had to interact as an actual person with other people, in real physical space and real physical time ( let's not go into the physics/mathematics of other dimensions; don't think that applies to Abigail), she might have to confront some sorry truths about herself and her family. I also don't think she is having human interactions with other practicing Catholics, or even with a priest. It is of course possible that she's part of a Catholic "community" that looks to 13th century Poland as an ideal, or one of those that rejects Vatican II and wants to be more conservative. The Mel Gibson Catholics. But even this recovered Catholic doesn't believe for one minute that Abigail practices--then she would have to do the sacrament of repentance, and even the craziest, most insanely facist priest would tell her that as a good Catholic mother she needs to step up and care for her children.

In her latest post, Abigail says that blogging isn't about navel gazing, it's about being in community!

Because the only "community" that she knows or is part of is a virtual one. If Abigail had to interact as an actual person with other people, in real physical space and real physical time ( let's not go into the physics/mathematics of other dimensions; don't think that applies to Abigail), she might have to confront some sorry truths about herself and her family. I also don't think she is having human interactions with other practicing Catholics, or even with a priest. It is of course possible that she's part of a Catholic "community" that looks to 13th century Poland as an ideal, or one of those that rejects Vatican II and wants to be more conservative. The Mel Gibson Catholics. But even this recovered Catholic doesn't believe for one minute that Abigail practices--then she would have to do the sacrament of repentance, and even the craziest, most insanely facist priest would tell her that as a good Catholic mother she needs to step up and care for her children.

I think you are right. I'm pretty sure in one of her posts she admitted she has had to end relationships with multiple priests, or has had big disagreements, or something like that. I would venture to guess these situations may have had to do with priests advising her to take a money management class, or something else reasonable.

She also says that her navel is full of lint and breast milk residue.

:puke-huge: Dear lord... Did she give away the shower too? How about hopping off the internetz and taking a damn bath?!?

I don't follow Abigail closely, so it's probable this was discussed and I missed it, but Abigail was gay/is bi?

From her marriage post:

"For full disclosure, I was in a long-term gay relationship while attending Law School in 1997. When I was a Law Student, I studied the Supreme Court case law and I wanted our marriage laws to change. At the time, I thought it was this cause was the civil rights issue of my generation."

I find it hard to reconcile Abigail the liberal law student at a prestigious college and in a same sex relationship with Abigail the airhead bigot living in self imposed poverty and talking endlessly about her badly thought out spiritual journey, complaining of secondary infertility when God doesn't send a new baby quickly enough for her liking.

complaining of secondary infertility when God doesn't send a new baby quickly enough for her liking.

I was actually just looking at that post. I thought what she said about breast milk was odd , because she seems to indicate in that particular post that she's done nursing. Either way, while I was reading I noticed this little gem:

Okay, so today was my first period in my new house. I got miraculously pregnant with Abigail the very week we moved. So 9 months of pregnancy plus 11 months of nursing a little imp with chronic infant reflux equals me trying to find the tampons at my new neighborhood Target a full year and half after our move.

Now in light of what's going on with Dede this really caught my attention. I want to know more about how she "miraculously" got pregnant. Hell, she's got 4 other kids and the one before this last baby doesn't look to be more than 2 or 3 herself. Goodnight woman, you don't have infertility and your conception wasn't miraculous. Look around you! See all the nice people? How do you think they all got here? :roll: Geez.

I think you are right. I'm pretty sure in one of her posts she admitted she has had to end relationships with multiple priests, or has had big disagreements, or something like that. I would venture to guess these situations may have had to do with priests advising her to take a money management class, or something else reasonable.

She's also resigned from a religious education position at her parish and her husband forces her to end friendships that he claims are "hurtful."

I have a hard time believing that Abigail was ever in a long term same sex relationship. She never mentioned anything about it until that post. Every other time she talked about the sins of her sexual past or whatever, it was always about the past boyfriends she'd had sex with. She never once mentioned a same sex lover. On the one hand it's hard to believe that she'd lie outright, but on the other hand, this is Abigail, so she may have just convinced herself that it really happened...

Community? But doesn't that involve communication? And how does one accomplish that when one won't allow anyone else to talk back?

I have a hard time believing that Abigail was ever in a long term same sex relationship. She never mentioned anything about it until that post. Every other time she talked about the sins of her sexual past or whatever, it was always about the past boyfriends she'd had sex with. She never once mentioned a same sex lover. On the one hand it's hard to believe that she'd lie outright, but on the other hand, this is Abigail, so she may have just convinced herself that it really happened...

She might be exaggerating, like maybe she kissed a woman and that morphed into a "long-term relationship" in her mind?

Probably because the typical American consumer would recoil at specks of chicken shit on the outside of most eggs.

As a typical American consumer, I'd say your right about that.

She might be exaggerating, like maybe she kissed a woman and that morphed into a "long-term relationship" in her mind?

She exaggerates to the high heavens. She probably had a dormmate / roommate in college and considers that "a long term same sex relationship". Let's not forget that Abigail's the nutter that's convinced that everyone is conspiring against her and mommy Mary and sweet baby Jesus. Her neighbors and fellow church goers ALL give her dirty looks, and any rules that aren't convenient for her were made specifically to make her life more difficult. She's like Hobby Lobby - a true martyr :roll:

Abigail exaggerates everything, like she said she was an orphan because her parents put her in daycare as a baby....maybe she kissed a girl when drunk and considers that a long term gay relationship, or even just had a friend who was a lesbian.

On a separate note, how the hell did she get into Smith? How the hell did she PASS any English class at Smith? Her spelling and grammar are largely atrocious for someone who claims to have an advanced degree.

ETA: I'm going through her recent posts and I really love this little gem:

As a human being growing up in America, I watched marriages fall apart all the time. I was reassured that if Jon had an big affair with his secretary (like my uncle did to my favorite aunt), that there was one place where he faced a consequence for squelching on his marriage vow to me. His Church! The priest was not going to allow my husband to have Communion if he ran off with another woman after our marriage.

This, of course, is the most important thing to focus on in such a situation - not the fact that your husband is a cheating prick, but that his priest would bar him from Communion. :cray-cray:

There's more ridiculousness here: abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2013/03/what-marriages-means-to-me-catholic.html As a final FYI: "If you get married and intend never to have kids together, that's not marriage." #trufax

As a final FYI: "If you get married and intend never to have kids together, that's not marriage." #trufax

so infertile heterosexual couples don't count? Lovely, Abigail.

look what I found!http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2012/10/25/why-american-eggs-would-be-illegal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/ appropriate to the earlier egg discussion.

edited to fix link.

For someone who claims to be super Catholic, she really doesn't understand much about either theology or practice. For the record, they don't take away the cookie from adulterers and divorcees until they go back to their approved spouse. Second, it isn't intent to have children that's required; it's the absence of an intent to prevent them. Two 60 year olds can marry with no intent to have children, but as long as they aren't using contraception and would theoretically welcome any miracle babies, they're in the clear. These aren't particularly deep or subtle points, but then she is not at all a deep or subtle thinker.

On a separate note, how the hell did she get into Smith? How the hell did she PASS any English class at Smith? Her spelling and grammar are largely atrocious for someone who claims to have an advanced degree.

ETA: I'm going through her recent posts and I really love this little gem:

This, of course, is the most important thing to focus on in such a situation - not the fact that your husband is a cheating prick, but that his priest would bar him from Communion. :cray-cray:

There's more ridiculousness here: abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2013/03/what-marriages-means-to-me-catholic.html As a final FYI: "If you get married and intend never to have kids together, that's not marriage." #trufax

At least she's being consistent. Yes, she's still imposing religious judgements on other people and that's unacceptable, but she at least seems genuine in her beliefs, for whatever that counts for. A lot of anti-same-sex marriage people say they're against it because marriage is about children, but they don't oppose my right to marry even though my fiancé and I don't want kids (and do everything we can to prevent pregnancy); what they really mean is they don't like the idea of same-sex relationships and have to try to justify it. It's like anti-choicers who say there should be an exception for rape and incest; it's all about the babies until you can't call the woman a slut, then it's not all about the babies anymore.

From the link about marriage:

Now there is another mental hurdle I face in becoming vocally "pro-marriage" because in our culture that often means you are seen as "anti-gay."

Or you can be pro-marriage because, like Call me Dave, you're "a fan of gay marriage because [you're] a massive fan of marriage". Normally I disagree with him, but I would agree in this case that if you really support marriage you should support it for anyone who wants to get married, not just the people you think "should" be marrying.

Divorce is bad in the Catholic church. We live in a culture of 'no-fault' divorce. While we're discussing my sinful past, I'll also say that for four years I worked as a Divorce Attorney. While waiting for a pre-Divorce hearing on a bench inside a courthouse, I once watched an angry wife jump on the back of her husband and rip out his his hair [...] When you live in a world where divorce is "okay", where divorce hits the 50% mark, and there are no social "rules" for marriages (either starting or ending) it becomes a frightening prospect to get engaged. People tell you bland things like "Oh we just grew apart! We need different things! He doesn't make me happy anymore!" Marriage feels like a risky decision full of potential future heartbreak.

I think Abigail's got it totally backwards here. If you have a historically healthy and happy marriage and reach the point where you're no longer happy together and address the problem, either by fixing or ending the marriage, you're less likely to end up hating each other so much you try to tear out your ex's hair. It's societal and religious pressure like that of the Catholic Church that increases the chances of acrimonious divorces because it doesn't leave people in failing marriages any choice; they can try to fix the marriage, but if that fails they end up cheating and/or loathing each other.

I'm not saying couples should divorce at the first sign of trouble, but I don't think any good comes from keeping divorce wholly off the table. Besides, I'd rather know my husband was staying with me because he loved me than because he'd promised to decades previously.

so infertile heterosexual couples don't count? Lovely, Abigail.

look what I found!http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2012/10/25/why-american-eggs-would-be-illegal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/ appropriate to the earlier egg discussion.

edited to fix link.

I'm confused about the EU rules about not washing the eggs; supermarket eggs are WAY cleaner than the ones I get directly from my future-in-laws' hens, which are decorated with feathers and chicken shit.

Generally I would assume someone who was pro marriage would be all "Yay, weddings! Everyone should be able to get married!"

Fundies should say what they mean when they give themselves these labels to define themself. Theyre not pro anything if theyre against the issue in question.

Archived