IGNORED

Scott Brown's Survey

NurseNell

I received a survey from Scott Brown via email, probably because I comment on his blog. :)

One of the questions had to do with what is your family's doctrinal position. The choices were:

Reformed Credobaptist

Reformed Paedobaptist

Fundamentalist

Dispensationalist

Anabaptist

Charismatic/Pentacostal

Reformed Charismatic

Undertermined

Other

What is a Paedobaptist? All I could think of was pedophile. :pink-shock: What's the difference between that and a Credobaptist? And Dispensationlist? What in the world is that? :shifty:

I chose other and wrote in Catholic. 8-)

Nurse Nell, I'm pretty sure that a paedobaptist is one who believes in infant baptism (such as Roman Catholics), and a credobaptist is one who believes that only those old enough to decide that they're "saved" should be baptized (such as my American Baptist Convention relatives). When I was a kid, one of my Baptist aunts tried to get all up in my Catholic mother's face about how adult baptism was Biblically endorsed, but infant baptism wasn't. Mom just smiled sweetly and agreed to disagree.

Fast forward to the 21st century, and nobody in my now religiously diverse family gets worked up about such matters anymore.

I love how these people just assume that everyone is from a Reformed Tradition, and anyone else is below their notice. Nice to know that the 1.5 billion or so Catholics and Orthodox worldwide are..."other".

I imagine that they either baptise babies when they are born, or that they baptise pedophiles.

I looked it up, it is infant baptism. Catholics of course practice infant baptism like Lutherans, Orthodox, Anglicans, and others. Credobaptism is when a person is baptized on the basis of his or her profession of faith in Jesus Christ. I know Baptists practice this as my oldest grandson is being raised Baptist.

Nurse Nell, I'm pretty sure that a paedobaptist is one who believes in infant baptism (such as Roman Catholics), and a credobaptist is one who believes that only those old enough to decide that they're "saved" should be baptized (such as my American Baptist Convention relatives). When I was a kid, one of my Baptist aunts tried to get all up in my Catholic mother's face about how adult baptism was Biblically endorsed, but infant baptism wasn't. Mom just smiled sweetly and agreed to disagree.

Fast forward to the 21st century, and nobody in my now religiously diverse family gets worked up about such matters anymore.

You're right. I try to learn something new everyday so paedobapist and credobaptist are the new things I learned today. :wink-kitty:

I went and looked at the survey. He's a tool. I can't imagine being so impassioned about the evils of youth group at church to have created an entire ministry around it. I was surprised he gave the option to one of the questions about marital status -- that you could choose that you were married once and are no longer married. You can imagine how "welcome" you'd be in his home as a divorcee.

He's a piece of work.

You're right. I try to learn something new everyday so paedobapist and credobaptist are the new things I learned today. :wink-kitty:

Me too! I'm so happy I learned something new! Now I just need to make a centerpiece for my table and bake bread. You know, so I can justify working outside of the home.

I read a post on Dougie's blog once about credobaptism and paedobaptism were fine things to have disagreements about, but they were not essential doctrines, so they shouldn't be something that divides a church. I can't find it now, but it's somewhere in those monolithic archives. Most reformed Baptists are credo and most reformed Presbyterians are paedo, but since they agree on almost everything else, they can both still fall under the Dominionists Umbrella, if they so choose. Being a dispensationalist pretty much means you can NOT be a Domionist.

I love how these people just assume that everyone is from a Reformed Tradition, and anyone else is below their notice. Nice to know that the 1.5 billion or so Catholics and Orthodox worldwide are..."other".

Not to mention all the mainline Protestants. I've attended churches from four different Protestant denominations and none of them are on that list :lol: Then again, these were largely of the evil women-ministering, gay-marrying variety.

Catholics and Orthodox churches put too much emphasis on works (yunno, like charity ) so they're not Christian. And don't even get me started on those heathens who don't want to stone gay ppl.

Islam?

Silly me of course he would not mention that :roll:

Edited to add the percentages of religion in GB. Of course other countries do not matter to this twat.

No religion 50.7

Church of England 19.9

Roman Catholic 8.6

Presbyterian/Church of Scotland 2.2

Methodist 1.3

Other Protestant 1.2

Christian (no denomination) 9.3

Other Christian 0.4

Muslim 2.4

Hindu 0.9

Sikh 0.8

Judaism 0.4

Other religions 0.3

Refused / NA 0.4

He probably only listed those options because those would be mainly the only people who would bother reading a blog like his (unless they do it for snark value, as we do). It would be unusual for other denominations or religions to take his opinions seriously.

I looked it up, it is infant baptism. Catholics of course practice infant baptism like Lutherans, Orthodox, Anglicans, and others. Credobaptism is when a person is baptized on the basis of his or her profession of faith in Jesus Christ. I know Baptists practice this as my oldest grandson is being raised Baptist.

I remember that there was a possibility of a Sproul Jr. /Phillips kid's marriage floating at one time (although I cannot remember which family had the potential bride and which the groom--I want to say it was a Sproul daughter and JT Phillips), the match was never promoted and eventually the idea was shelved, because Phillips is a credobaptist while Sproul is a paedobaptist. The families are still friends, but the Sproul family is out as far as marriage partners for the Phillips kids.

I may have heard this on Jen Epstein's blog, so take it with a grain of salt. :mouse-shock:

I remember that there was a possibility of a Sproul Jr. /Phillips kid's marriage floating at one time (although I cannot remember which family had the potential bride and which the groom--I want to say it was a Sproul daughter and JT Phillips), the match was never promoted and eventually the idea was shelved, because Phillips is a credobaptist while Sproul is a paedobaptist. The families are still friends, but the Sproul family is out as far as marriage partners for the Phillips kids.

I may have heard this on Jen Epstein's blog, so take it with a grain of salt. :mouse-shock:

Jen Epstein is the one that got kicked out of Dougie's church, right? I remember coming across her blog years ago -- there was a lot to read. Is there some doubt that she wasn't telling the truth? And I don't want to get into a huge discussion about her here, but I just wondered what a quick answer to that might be. I've never discussed her here.

Oh, great. Reducing an already small pool of acceptable spouses to the vanishingly small number who share precisely the same opinions and practice already? That seems kind of at odds with the fundie 200-year plan to outnumber us heathens (or even to marry off their own daughters into the SAHM-hood they feel is ordained for them).

He probably only listed those options because those would be mainly the only people who would bother reading a blog like his (unless they do it for snark value, as we do). It would be unusual for other denominations or religions to take his opinions seriously.

PHEW! There IS a God then :lol:

Jen Epstein is the one that got kicked out of Dougie's church, right? I remember coming across her blog years ago -- there was a lot to read. Is there some doubt that she wasn't telling the truth? And I don't want to get into a huge discussion about her here, but I just wondered what a quick answer to that might be. I've never discussed her here.

Jen Epstein and her family were excommunicated from Boerne Christian Assembly, and Doug Phillips was certainly involved, and there was some ugliness involving another blog and somehow Matt and Jennie Chancey got involved. Jen was certainly no saint herself though. She and her husband were affiliated with a group of kinists for awhile, and Jen went a bit off the rails. I absolutely believe that Phillips and BCA behaved horribly towards her and her family, and she had a legitimate beef with them, but some of the way she behaved afterwards was truly odd and a lot of people feel that undermines her testimony about what happened with BCA.

Jen Epstein and her family were excommunicated from Boerne Christian Assembly, and Doug Phillips was certainly involved, and there was some ugliness involving another blog and somehow Matt and Jennie Chancey got involved. Jen was certainly no saint herself though. She and her husband were affiliated with a group of kinists for awhile, and Jen went a bit off the rails. I absolutely believe that Phillips and BCA behaved horribly towards her and her family, and she had a legitimate beef with them, but some of the way she behaved afterwards was truly odd and a lot of people feel that undermines her testimony about what happened with BCA.

Thanks for the recap! Yes, I remember she had many MANY words on her blog about everything and I got the feeling she wasn't writing it to help others but more to really stick it to the Phillips and the Chanceys. It was all very public.

Archived