IGNORED

Super Soup Recipes

MamaJunebug

I usually grab bay leaves, oregano, garlic, black pepper, red pepper, what-have-you to season my chicken-broth-vegetable soup, but this morning I decided to be lazy and just dumped in some Greek Seasoning, I forget which brand.

Whoa! Delicious, perfect, and it saved me a good 60 seconds!

....Are recipes supposed to be here or on Chatter? Hey, I'm a mod (woot, woot) I can move this if need be.

In any cae, a votre Sante!

I always add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of cayenne pepper to my soups. Nothing like a pot of soup to last the week. I try to make one on a Monday but it never lasts past Tuesday...

I like the idea of a thread devoted to soup. How seasonal!

Here's an offering. Sweet potato and tomato soup.

In an oven dish, roast 2 chopped sweet potatoes, 5 plum (or similarly sweet ripe tomatoes), 1 clove garlic, 1 roughly chopped onion, 1 chopped courgette (zucchini) with a good slosh of olive oil and 2 bay leaves. Into the oven on a low heat to slow roast for 1.5 hrs. Toss a couple times to prevent burnt edges.

Dump into a saucepan, discard bay leaves, add 1 pint chicken (or veg) stock. Blitz up with soup gun, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy!

One of my favorites: Spicy corn and chickpea soup (modified from Fields of Greens)

chickpeas

some combination of bay leaf, sage, and/or marjoram

1Tbsp. oil

1 large onion

1 1/2 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. oregano

6 garlic cloves, minced

1 large bell pepper, diced

2 c. corn (frozen or canned is fine)

1/2 c. canned hominy (adds thickness and body; if you leave it out, you could add extra chickpeas or corn to bulk up the soup)

28-oz. can tomatoes (preferably diced)

1/2 tsp. chipotle puree (I soak a dried pepper in warm water for 15 minutes, then blend the heck out of it)

1 jalapeno, chopped and pureed

2 tsp. lime juice (lemon or mild vinegar will do if you don't have limes)

chopped cilantro for topping (optional)

If you're using dry chickpeas, start with 1/2 c. Soak them overnight, then bring them to a boil in 2 quarts of water with the bay/sage/marjoram, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Then remove the herbs, but keep the liquid.

(If you're using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them. Add them to 2 quarts water or vegetable stock, plunk in the herbs and get them heating. They're already cooked through and won't need long cooking, but softening and hanging out with the herbs won't hurt them.)

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, 1/2 tsp. salt, cumin, oregano, and a pinch of cayenne. Saute until the onions are translucent, then add the garlic, peppers, corn, and hominy. Cook 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and chipotle puree.

Add the chickpeas and broth to the vegetable mix. Test for spiciness and add as much jalapeno puree as you need. Add lime, more herbs if you like, and another 1/2 tsp. salt. Test for acidity and add a bit of sugar if the soup is too tangy.

Cover. Cook on low-ish heat for 30 minutes. Top with cilantro before serving.

We have recently discovered leek and potato soup. It's so simple and delicious, coming together with minimal time and few ingredients.

Sautee two thinly-sliced leeks in a generous amount of butter

add three cups veggie broth and some cubed potatoes (I like red potatoes, although the recipe I used called for Yukon Gold) and simmer

when cooked, add a cup of cream (I use evaporated milk)

I also like cauliflower cheese: http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/02/ro ... white.html

Cream of spinach and french onion are other faves. I have recipes for both but not on me right now.

I LOVE soup. Making it is my pleasure in life. There is something so calming about chopping the veg for soup, knowing the end result is liquid comfort.

Favourites.

Carrot and Cheese.

Curried Carrot.

My MIL's Potato soup. (Any soup which requires you to simmer a Lamb shank for a day can only be good.)

Homemade Tomato.

Mushroom.

Onion soup.

French Onion.

Chicken and Rice.

Bacon and Lentil.

Cock-a-Leekie.

Cullen Skink.

Courgette Soup.

I need to make soup now :lol:

Guest Anonymous
My MIL's Potato soup. (Any soup which requires you to simmer a Lamb shank for a day can only be good.)

Let's have the recipe then, OK! :)

Let's have the recipe then, OK! :)

Haha ..well I have only ever seen her make it no idea IF a recipe exists.

Good lamb shank or two from the butcher. Water, simmer for, well she starts it in the morning and just leaves it. She does add carrot tops and an onion to the stock at some point. Nothing else.

She strains it and runs a fork through the shanks for flaky wee bits of lamb. Lets it go cold then skims a good proportion of the fat, but leaves some.

She adds a leek sliced and grated carrots. Large potatoes, just halved. When the potatoes are cooked plonks 2 large halves in the bowl and covers with the soup. She only seasons to taste.

Big doorsteps of buttered bread.

MINE never tastes as good as hers :( So annoying. Sorry no proportions I just use my eye. Make a lot would be my advice :D

Over here in the homemade department.....

Split pea soup

Egg-lemon broth

Butternut squash and pear (vegan)

Lentil (vegan)

Lima Bean and Bacon

Beef and Barley

Tomato (vegan)

Salmon and white bean chowder

Guest Anonymous

Oh that sounds fabulous!

I am currently defrosting some oxtail that I found, strangely, in Asda. I want to make Heston's oxtail and kidney pudding, but it may turn into a pie as I don't routinely keep suet in the house.

(Edit: sorry for diversion from soup to pie, but it's all good winter food!)

I've been in a fall/winter soup mood lately. Last week I made a huge pot of bean and barley soup. I have some leftovers that I'll pop in the freezer to save for the few days before I leave town for Thanksgiving. Tomorrow I'm making taco soup in the crock pot (beans, corn, tomatoes green chilies, ground beef, and taco seasoning).

Cullen skink? now *this* is something I must learn more about :-)

Cauliflower-curry soup

Veggie-lentil-pearl barley

Mulligatawney (sp?)

Butternut squash-sweet potato-peanut-coconut milk

Onion, of course

Chicken-noodle (we're Jewish, what can I say)

Tomato, with or without cream

Cullen skink? now *this* is something I must learn more about :-)

Cauliflower-curry soup

Veggie-lentil-pearl barley

Mulligatawney (sp?)

Butternut squash-sweet potato-peanut-coconut milk

Onion, of course

Chicken-noodle (we're Jewish, what can I say)

Tomato, with or without cream

Cullen skink, bit like American Chowder, but better. (Obviously I'm going to say that :lol: )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... llen-skink

We have recently discovered leek and potato soup. It's so simple and delicious, coming together with minimal time and few ingredients.

add three cups veggie broth and some cubed potatoes (I like red potatoes, although the recipe I used called for Yukon Gold) and simmer

I love leek and potato soup!

My family loves mashed potatoes so my mom makes mashed potatoes and stirs them in (I think usually you just cut the potatoes into chunks) and then not very healthy but everyone gets a little sour cream "drizzled" (as much as you can drizzle sour cream) on top. My mom makes it at home and I've never tried making it so I don't have the rest of the recipe, but that's our variation.

I make yellow split pea soup that my dad taught me to make. I try to get over to the Honey Baked Ham Store to get a couple of hambones or else do a ham a couple of times a year. I use carrots, celery, celery salt, Cavenders Greek Seasoning, and add potatos at the end. I usually throw a couple of bay leaves in the water with the hambone and cook for at least 2 hours. Break the knuckle and shred the meat back into the kettle. Pick over 2 lbs of yellow peas, throw them in with the veges and stir frequently.

I get request from the parents of my kids friends for take home bowls. Must be good.

I am not ashamed to say that I have asked for the hambones at dinners where hams are served. I started doing this when I realized that some people throw them away! Ham is a holiday dinner here, especially at Western Easter, and I hear everything from "my husband and the kids don't like split pea" to "what do you want a hambone for? :shock: "

So in a good year I can collect up to 4 hambones between collegues that know of my "eccentricity" and whatever friend invites me to Easter (except the Italians; damn, they DO know what to do with a hambone). Four wonderful batches of split pea soup, which reaches Nirvana with hambone stock. :D

My favorite soup that I make myself is pumpkin curry. Bonus: the recipe comes from a fundie blog.

yestheyareallours.com/2011/10/31-days-of-pumpkin-day-11.html

A close second is broccoli cheddar soup:

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/recip ... php?id=109

My favorite soup on the planet is my mom's chicken soup, but my attempt to replicate it paled in comparison.

I also like cauliflower cheese: http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/02/ro ... white.html

Cream of spinach and french onion are other faves. I have recipes for both but not on me right now.

We make almost this exact recipe! I love it, leeks are one of my absolute favorite veggies. I've been contemplating adding some cubed ham or white beans to the recipe to up the protein levels.

We make almost this exact recipe! I love it, leeks are one of my absolute favorite veggies. I've been contemplating adding some cubed ham or white beans to the recipe to up the protein levels.

Bacon. Fry up some bacon and crumble it on the top.

• 3 months later...

Crockpot chicken soup:

Take a 6 qt crock pot. Toss in:

4 onions WITH skins (if reasonably clean), cut into quarters

big handful of baby carrots

1 parsnip, cut into a few pieces

2 stalks celery, cut into a few big pieces

2 cubes frozen dill (or some fresh dill)

2 cubes frozen garlic (or 2 cloves garlic, cut up)

3-4 packages of chicken bones

Cover with water up to the fill line. Set on HIGH for 7 hours, and go to work or to sleep. When it is done, ladle through a strainer into a pot or some jars, and put in the fridge or freezer. When you are ready to serve, remove the congealed fat from the top, and don't let the gunk on the bottom into anyone's bowl.

That's an nice and easy way to make broth! The onion skins give it a nice color. I use somewhat the same method, except that I keep large baggies in the freezer and just fill them up with unused fresh veggies and meats (separate baggies for each).

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on kind of a soup kick lately. My favorites are Twice Baked Potato with Bacon (like from Zoup!) and Zuppa Toscana, from Olive Garden. I've always tried to make them at home, neever turning out quite as good.

Anybody want to share some fantastic soup recipes?

I've been making a Corn Chowder that has become my favorite soup-esque dish.

3/4 Pound mild sausage

1 can cream-style corm

1 can whole kernel corn-drained

1 can sliced or diced potatoes-drained (or 1 largish cooked diced potato)

1 and 1/2 cups milk

1 cup (4oz) shredded mild chedder

Brown sausage in pan, drain thoroughly and set aside.

In soup pot over medium heat, combine milk and cream-style corn. Add whole kernel corn, potatoes and sausage. Stir occasionally until hot. Stir in cheese - let it melt. Serve with crackers or crusty bread. Makes 4 generous servings.

It's easy to switch up this recipe to your tastes by substituting:

Gouda for the cheddar

diced smoked ham for the sausage

or adding sauteed diced onions and peppers

• 2 months later...

Cream of anything soup is pretty easy. For example cream of broccoli soup. Cook broccoli until tender in broth if you want, water works, blend I use an immersion blender.and add milk or cream, season and it is done. You can add the cheese of your choice. I have made artichoke soup, tomato soup and winter squash soup by this method. They have all turned out great.

This has been one of my favorites this year. Spinach Tortellini Soup from the Budget Bytes blog, which has a TON of great, cheap, healthy-ish recipes. Recipe directly quoted from there.

Ingredients

2 Tbsp olive oil $0.32

1 small yellow onion $0.57

4 cloves garlic $0.15

1 (28 oz.) can tomato sauce $1.50

1 (28 oz.) can crushed or diced tomatoes $1.50

28 oz. water $0.00

1 tsp dried basil $0.05

1 tsp dried oregano $0.05

15-20 cranks fresh cracked pepper $0.05

1 (12 oz.) package frozen cheese tortellini $2.99

1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach $1.25

2 tsp (or to taste) salt $0.05

Instructions

Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Cook both in a large pot along with the olive oil over medium-low heat until they are soft and transparent (about 5 minutes).

Add the can of tomato sauce, the can of crushed (or diced) tomatoes, and one can full of water to the pot. Add the basil, oregano, a healthy dose of freshly cracked pepper, and stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring up to a simmer (about 10 minutes).

Add the frozen tortellini and frozen spinach (no need to thaw either one). Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to break up the frozen spinach. Cook until the heated through, the spinach has completely incorporated, and the tortellini is tender (about 10 minutes). Season to taste with salt.

Archived