IGNORED

Duggar laundry room tour

gustava

OK. (This bothers me every time we have a thread that includes this person).

a) I am a grandmother myself. I love being a grandmother. I love the fact that my granddaughter has (recently) learned how to say Grandma (grammaw phonetically for a 2 year old). No questions about any of this.

b) In all the rest of my life, I am "First name" or "First name Last name". No one outside of my granddaughter calls me Grandma. I do have the remainder of my identity.

Jim Bob's mother's name is Mary Duggar. It annoys me to NO END that every one else, and every publicity anything, and every episode, refers to her as Grandma, and never by her name. It's part and parcel of the assumption that she only exists to do their dirty work (laundry, anyone?).

Her name is MARY DUGGAR.

I'm the OP, and I actually gave some thought to how to refer to her. I decided to go with "Grandma" because, as you noted, that's the only way she's identified. And yes, it does diminish her as a human being, but I think within the Duggar family, that IS her identity: laundress.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They only refer to her as Grandma because Laundry Slave wouldnt really be acceptable and have people thinking theyre terrible people.

Its also probably why Michelle doesnt refer to the kids by number. "#4 go make the Almighty Queen Uterus a drink! #2, go take the trash out as I think #18 is scavenging in there cause we forgot to feed her again. #5 go and get the plumbing line, you forgot to teach #14 to read. #6, take #19 away, its bothering me again, expecting attention from me"

Whats the go with all the family closets? Just lately they've popped up all over my pintrest. I have 6 children and the thought of having just one room for all of our clothes is strange. What about underwear? Is that shared?

Shared undies ewwwwwww I hope not.

Also isnt Joy a different shape so how is she getting clothes that fit have they had to go out and buy new for her as she is no way the same shape as her older sisters. The hand me downs wont work for her poor lass and that includes underwear.

She looked so pleased in the video not talk of forced jollyness from her.

As for Grandma Mary I do feel for her as she shouldnt be doing the laundry at all and I have a blended family so we had 10 kids in one household and anyone over 10 got shown how to work the machine and that included the boys.

She at least went to a few meetings as the episode where they highlighted Jana and Michelle going to Weight Watchers, with Jim Bib tagging along, the weigh in worker mentioned them being in her meeting group for a while. I think there was even an earlier thread here on FJ where people mentioned that Jana probably relished her meetings as it got her out if the house without her buddies and gave her alone time with her Mom.

My memory may be failing me in my old age, but I could have sworn Jana didn't have to pay a fee when she went in with Boob because she had a lifetime membership, which means she followed the program and met her goal weight.

The probably sent Jill with her to the meetings.

Jana and Joy are considerably shorter than the other daughters.

I also asked about great-grandma's jurisdiction. As for the home made laundry soap, when my family makes it, we pour it into those neat dispensers with the spout on the side. They'd have to buy soap every few days, if they're not making it.

There's a series of these videos, loading one after the other. Joy and Justin (of the eye patch and suit) seem to be the only ones in them. And she says the girls' clothes have been moved upstairs - maybe they don't need the sewing room anymore. Any idea where else you can put 9 people's clothes in their dorm?

Under the beds. I used to have drawers under my bed, when I still lived with my parents. Since the girls' beds stick out from the wall, that's twice the drawer space, and the Duggars don't seem to own that many clothes.

And I love how the sewing room has gone from being a sewing room, to an instrument storage room, to a homeschool room, to a closet... INSTEAD OF ANOTHER GODDAMN BEDROOM. Seriously, Duggars? You have 9 people in one room ages 3-23, and 10 people in another ages 8-23, and you don't try to make another bedroom? ffs.

They only refer to her as Grandma because Laundry Slave wouldnt really be acceptable and have people thinking theyre terrible people.

Its also probably why Michelle doesnt refer to the kids by number. "#4 go make the Almighty Queen Uterus a drink! #2, go take the trash out as I think #18 is scavenging in there cause we forgot to feed her again. #5 go and get the plumbing line, you forgot to teach #14 to read. #6, take #19 away, its bothering me again, expecting attention from me"

Once when Boob was gathering the family up to go somewhere, he DID say here come 17 and 18 as they were going down the stairs. :wink-penguin:

Whats the go with all the family closets? Just lately they've popped up all over my pintrest. I have 6 children and the thought of having just one room for all of our clothes is strange. What about underwear? Is that shared?

My sisters practically had shared closets as teens, as they were always borrowing each other's clothes. So I could see a single closet for the four older girls in their room, with space for their own personal things (like underwear!) but much of the clothing shared.

What I find really weird about the family closet is that it's downstairs. Does that mean the teenage girls are defrauding their brothers by going downstairs in their PYJAMAS to get clothes?! :shock:

And I love how the sewing room has gone from being a sewing room, to an instrument storage room, to a homeschool room, to a closet... INSTEAD OF ANOTHER GODDAMN BEDROOM. Seriously, Duggars? You have 9 people in one room ages 3-23, and 10 people in another ages 8-23, and you don't try to make another bedroom? ffs.

Especially when you consider that it's adjacent to the girls' room, so the older (or younger) girls could sleep in there and they'd still be close to their buddies (couldn't have Jichelle and Dim Bulb getting up THEMSELVES if one of the wee girls had a nightmare, now, could we?).

My sisters practically had shared closets as teens, as they were always borrowing each other's clothes. So I could see a single closet for the four older girls in their room, with space for their own personal things (like underwear!) but much of the clothing shared.

What I find really weird about the family closet is that it's downstairs. Does that mean the teenage girls are defrauding their brothers by going downstairs in their PYJAMAS to get clothes?! :shock:

Michele has said in the past that the girls sleep in skirts and polos.

Especially when you consider that it's adjacent to the girls' room, so the older (or younger) girls could sleep in there and they'd still be close to their buddies (couldn't have Jichelle and Dim Bulb getting up THEMSELVES if one of the wee girls had a nightmare, now, could we?).

Skirts and polos? That sounds rather uncomfortable. Are they too cheap for pyjamas or too afraid of accidental defraudation?

I seem to recall an episode where Michelle explains that the kids pick out their clothes for the next day and take them upstairs before bedtime so they don't have to come down to the family closet in the morning to pick out clothes.

Don't they sleep in skirts? I always found that mystifying, as skirts or long T-shirts ride up like nobody's business when you sleep in them, and that's way more defrauding than sleep pants. But as long as they pull the skirts down off their chests where they bunched up overnight, why can't the daughters walk around downstairs in their PJs?

Comment under the post:

The Duggars still make their own laundry soap, but they transfer it into old dispensers to make it easier to use.

~Lily and Ellie

Sure they still make their own soap. :roll: Are Lily and Ellie neighbors or relatives or...??

Archived