IGNORED

Ladies shouldn't work unless they've completed the following

snuggles911

I like that some of these say "you don't have to do this", meaning that I do have to do the others? 'Cause girl I haven't cleaned my windows or cupboards or cabinet tops in a looooong time.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there should be an opposite list... (oh, and btw I AM currently a SAHM):

Ladies SHOULD work unless:

1. Their husbands/partners are making enough to support the family; AND

2. They really enjoy staying home full time; AND

3. They are completely confident that their family has enough in savings to weather a layoff, disability, divorce, or untimely death of the spouse (OR that they could find a job that pays well enough without further schooling in the event that one of those occurs); OR

4. They are retired or disabled;

and side note:

5. If you've had to hold a fundraiser to adopt a child /purchase a van /pay off your medical bills / whatever... maybe you should have gotten a job first?

1.Do you have a morning routine in the house?

Yeah. I stumble out of bed, get dressed, walk 2 blocks to the local Starbucks for my morning coffee, come home, shower, rev up the laptop then fall back into bed. Wash, rinse, repeat.

2. Are your dishes washed and put away?

Yes

3. Is your cabinet top clear?

Yes

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece?

The table's clear, don't have a centerpiece as neither hubs nor I want to be bothered with dust collectors.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months?

Yes

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road?

What porch? We live in a apartment.

7. Are your carpets clean?

What carpets? Our floors are hardwood.

8. Is your floor clean?

Yes.

9. Is your living room ready for company?

Is the President dropping by that I don't know of?

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!)

It's washed, folded and put away. As for ironing, don't make me laugh.

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up?

Yes

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory)

Who do you take me for, Betty Ctocker?

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice?

Yes

14. Does your house smell nice?

Yes

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?)

We've rearranged but not redecorated. As retirees, we'd rather spend the money travelling and having fun. You DO remember fun, don't you Lydia?

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh?

Yes

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer)

Unfortunately, management in my apartment building doesn't allow clotheslines.

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot?

Who said I have a yard?

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized?

Yes

20. Are your photos organized?

They're stored on my computer, that's good enough

21. Are your computer files organized?

See answer (20)

22. Is your correspondence caught up?

If you mean my e-mails, yeah

23. Do you make any of your own clothes?

No.

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt?

He knows better

25. ARe your books organized?

They're shelved, that's good enough.

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales?

No, but we donate our surpluses, when they occur, to local homeless outreach programs.

27. Are your windows clean?

My husband, the cat and I can all see through them. What more do you want?

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients?

Yes.

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month?

Most people of my acquaintance would laugh themselves into side stitches if I invited them over for tea.

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill?

I don't know if these would be considered good literature or not but I have read the first 4 installments of GAME OF THRONES.

Okay, assuming my roommates are my children (with the amount of picking up after them that I generally do, it's pretty close), here's how I do:

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house? Wake up. Lie in bed as long as humanly possible. Jump into some clothes, brush teeth, brush hair. Consider makeup, decide you "don't have time" for the 100th day in a row. Make some coffee, consider breakfast, decide you "don't have time". Realize you are late for class. Slurp down coffee and run for class, then come back because you have inevitably forgotten something.

2. Are your dishes washed and put away? We tend to put ours in the dish rack and use it again directly from there - there are items in our cabinet that haven't been used in the two years we've lived here.

3. Is your cabinet top clear? But where would we keep the pots and pans?

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece? We dine wherever we feel like it, cover the table in papers and textbooks, and if cans of Rockstar count as a centerpiece then we pretty much always have one.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months? Bahahahahaha.

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road? No, it's hideous, as are most Toronto yards in early spring. Mud and garbage cans and cement. Lovely!

7. Are your carpets clean? We don't have any.

8. Is your floor clean? Maybe if people are coming over. Important people, mind you.

9. Is your living room ready for company? Don't have one!

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!) Laundry. Oh yeah, that. If my clothes are reasonably clean, I'll wear em again. Laundry's every 2-3 weeks. Coin-op is a hassle.

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up? Besides the fact that I've kept two buttons from my winter jacket in the pockets for four years, yes.

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory) Well...sometimes I buy bread from the store. That counts, right?

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice? Let's skip to the next question.

14. Does your house smell nice? Yes, the smell of marijuana and bacon is very nice.

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?) Occasionally we change the posters on our bulletin board.

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh? Pfft, why make it if you're just going to mess it up in a few more hours?

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) Toronto in winter - not a great idea. Whether it's precipitation or soot or smoke from illicit substances (there are three head shops within a block of my house), those sheets and clothes are getting ruined.

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot? I think the neighbours might have started a garden, but not the kind you'd approve of.

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized? In the sense that "clothes go in closet, I guess" and "dishes go in drawers, I guess", sure.

20. Are your photos organized? Photos? Who has physical copies of photos anymore? I have a picture of my dog and that's it.

21. Are your computer files organized? Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the one on the list where I actually am caught up.

22. Is your correspondence caught up? Once again, what correspondence? What decade is this crazy lady living in?

23. Do you make any of your own clothes? Unless you count that time I made a bikini out of tin foil, nope.

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt? I don't have a husband, or an iron. Double fail.

25. ARe your books organized? They're on shelves. And the floor. Does that count?

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales? No, most of our stuff was scavenged from the sidewalk anyway.

27. Are your windows clean? No.

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients? If I am sufficiently bored, yes, but generally for special occasions.

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month? Well...beer.

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill? I'm in college. Call me a commie heathen whore if you like, but I'm definitely learning.

I don't think this blogger would approve of me :(

crazyforkate, I want to move to Toronto and be your best friend.

This doily addict would drop dead in shock were she to set foot in my house, where I live alone with an Ungrateful Dog. My priorities tend to be getting myself to work, paying my bills, and being addicted to my laptop. Given the choice between staying home to clean house or going out with friends, the "going out" part would win, hands down.

Here goes. Note that I am a freelancer who works at home.

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house?

Uh, let's see. Grab iPad from the nightstand. Check both email accounts. Check Facebook. Read blogs in Google Reader. Check FJ. Finally get up to go to the bathroom and make breakfast. Switch on the computer.

Ha! Hahahahahaha. No. There is almost never a time that the sink is completely empty of dishes.

Assuming she means countertops, no. Sometimes they're clear-ish.

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centerpiece?

Rarely--my husband likes to leave pens and various papers sitting on it--and no, unless you consider a (pretty) napkin holder to be a centerpiece.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months?

The cupboards are in pretty good shape, as we only moved into this house six months ago. The room we use for storage is a disaster, but we don't care, since we are renting and don't plan to be here long term. The fridge gets partially cleaned out as needed.

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road?

We don't have a porch, but I guess the entry steps could use sweeping. Our yard looks pretty nice.

The house doesn't have much carpeting. Perhaps the rec room could use another vacuuming.

8. Is your floor clean?

The living and dining areas are. The kitchen floor never looks clean, since it's old white tile (gross).

It could be in about two minutes.

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!)

No. There is almost always a basket sitting around waiting to be folded, a load waiting to be taken out of the dryer, and plenty of dirty stuff in the hamper. I can't keep up with the laundry.

This is not really a major concern. We rarely have to replace buttons, and neither of us can really sew, so we don't mend.

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory)

No. I am not interested in baking, and I have no childhood memories of baking, since my mom has literally never baked anything in my lifetime.

It's pretty clean--I gave it a thorough cleaning for company last week. It does not have a smell, far as I can tell.

Again, I don't think it really has a smell unless we're cooking. We didn't cook today.

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?)

We've only lived here six months--aren't you listening, "Lady" Lydia?

Beds are NEVER made unless overnight company is coming. Sheets are pretty clean right now.

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer)

I hang certain things on a drying rack, but I have zero desire to hang things on an outside line. Plus, the weather just stopped sucking two days ago.

No, but I have enjoyed container gardening in the past.

Clothing drawers, pretty well. Didn't you already ask about storage areas? I said no!

No, but I wish they were.

Same as above.

Sometimes. Not at the moment.

Hell to the no. You should see the sweatshirt I made myself in middle school home ec.

He rarely notices if things need ironing. His best shirts are made of wrinkle-free fabric.

25. Are your books organized?

Not at all. Since we're expecting to move again this year, most are still packed.

Not recently. I gave away a ton of stuff when I moved in with my husband years ago because we had no storage space in our old place, and I'm still not over it.

No pets or kids to smear them, and they were brand-new when we moved in, so they look really nice.

When I have time/feel like it.

We hosted a seder for 13 family members just last week. How's that?

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill?

I always have at least one book going, and I learn new things all the time. (One book A YEAR?)

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house? Yeah, get up, washed up and dressed. Help hubby with his morning meds, jump in the truck and head for work.

2. Are your dishes washed and put away? Well, after I do dishes tonight maybe...

3. Is your cabinet top clear? Nope...where do you think I put his meds and misc. stuff?

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece? The formal dining room table is nice, the kitchen table, not so much.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months? Nope...moved 6 months ago.

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road? Can't see it b/c the trucks are parked in front of it

7. Are your carpets clean? reasonably

8. Is your floor clean? 2 big dogs...NEXT!

9. Is your living room ready for company? Yes...we hang out in the family room.

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!) Umm...I think my hubby did a load of clothes the other day.

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up? Like I have time for that

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory) Hell no, I live in Phoenix AZ...you have GOT to be kidding!

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice? Umm...sort of

14. Does your house smell nice? sure.

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?) Moved 6 months ago....

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh? The bed got made I think...

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) I'll hang them on the pool fence if I'm feeling either cheap or ambitious.

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot? Umm...no.

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized? sort of...I can find what I need.

20. Are your photos organized? They're in a box in the garage.

21. Are your computer files organized? Of course...type A engineer here.

22. Is your correspondence caught up? That's why God made facebook

23. Do you make any of your own clothes? Nope...

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt? He can do his own ironing

25. ARe your books organized? They're on shelves.

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales? I unloaded when I moved.

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients? Hubby is diabetic...have to watch the carbs.

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month? Tea? Hell no!

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill? I'm an engineer, I'm always learning!

Yes. My OH gets up early, brings me breakfast and my laptop in bed and gets himself out the door. He prefers me out of the way while he bustles around and our house is cold so I don't mind doing my emails etc. while I wake up. After he leaves I get up, shower, make the bed and bring any dirty dishes downstairs. Most mornings I start a load of laundry then head up to work. Usually at my desk by 9-10.

Yes. Dishes get washed at night after dinner. If I wash up,I put them away. If my OH washes up, he leaves them to dry and I put them away while I heat up my lunch the next day (usually because we're trying to get to bed earlier, he is working very long hours this year). I also switch over the laundry--usually hanging it on the line, weather permitting. If I've done all of that then I'll do any breakfast dishes to keep the pile down at dinner, but we try not to run hot water to wash dishes more times a day than necessary. I'm a good steward and shit.

Yes--both above the cabinets and what I think you mean, the counter top gets cleaned with hot soapy water each evening after dinner and any other time it needs it, say if I've kneaded bread over my lunch break.

Yes, and I change it regularly.

Yes. Gets done more regularly than that.

I don't have a porch, but I pull the weeds from between the paving stones at the entry way and we have nice pictures and a pretty rug upon entering.

Yes, what kind of a slovenly existence do you think I live? My OH usually does the vacing because our vac is old and heavy and I'm a delicate flower. But when he is busy I manage, usually just ask him to move it up or down the stairs when he takes a break so I can finish.

8. Is your floor clean?

Yes

It is when we don't have our furniture stored in there while work is being done in the dining room. Usually it stays ready--what would happen to it? A band of hoodlums overturning the couch and moving the coasters, which frankly aren't necessary as our furniture is all treated, but I made them and I like them.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. And make bagels, flat breads, cakes, cookies and all sorts. But I make it to eat, not to put on a blog.

Shining and clean yes, but no it doesn't smell 'nice' by which I presume you mean of artificial fragrances. Sometimes it smells of an essential oil which my OH likes to use in the shower. Otherwise, I try to steer clear of fragrances.

Usually it smells like whatever I'm cooking. Otherwise, not particularly. See above.

Yes.

Always. I like getting into a made bed. I wash my sheets frequently and usually line dry if the weather is good.

Yes.

We are renting, but I keep a selection of plants in pots, both flowering decorative plants and edible plants.

Yes.

Yes. Most of those that I want to keep are framed. The others are kept in bundles according to when they were taken.

Absolutely. And baked up.

Yes. I even manage to mail my grandmother snail mail.

Yes, although I haven't found it cost effective recently. I also shop in charity/thrift stores and make modifications. I know about fabrics, cut and colour and how to buy quality.

No, usually I have to convince him to let me do his shirts so we can spend more time together. Frequently he does my things while he is doing his shirts.

Yes. My work books are extremely organized. Our pleasure books are put away, although we are still working out our preferred system. We certainly know where they are.

I donate things at least once a year. We don't have a "garage" nor do I sell things from my home. How uncouth (sarcasm).

Yes, we live in a multistory house, a manly man with equipment comes.

Yes, pretty much every day except for days when my OH wants to do it. We rarely eat out and avoid pre-packaged and processed.

This is the UK, it isn't really the done thing NOT to have people over for tea.

I'm a PhD student. My job is to read good books, learn new things, and share them with others. Suck eggs, LL.

If I made my own clothes, I'd need a job just to pay for the fabric. Seriously, unless you're upcycling old clothing or sheets, buying fabric to make clothes IS NOT cheap.

My husband isn't into decorating... he'd look at me like I was insane if I had a centerpiece on our table all the time.

Edited to add, I don't ever hang my laundry to line dry because 1) seasonal allergies in the family so it's NOT better for our health and 2) our CC&Rs prohibit it.

I rarely bake my own bread because the kids eat it faster than I can bake it.

Agreed, hapamama--fabric is expensive if you don't want to wear $1/yard fleece wraps all of the time. What does she have to iron anyway since all of her clothes are polar fleece?

Our centrepieces probably aren't exactly what LL has in mind. The dining table is disassembled for work right now, but until a few weeks ago I had a cluster of mixed size and height candles on a platter. I got them at Ikea and literally put them on the plate--it took so long I had to take a leave of absence from my day job. My OH isn't the least interested in them, but that room is very cold and they help to make it feel warmer. When I get rid of it, I'll probably just have to quit so I can come up with something to replace it. Or I could enjoy the open feeling of it being empty or stick a plant on the table.

Clearly, I'm going to hell since no 'lady' should be able to live in a nice, clean house and still work at the same time. I must have made a deal with the devil. I also have time to "take tea" every day. I "take it" up to my office and usually look at interesting things on the internet to have a break from work.

Clearly, I'm a slattern since there isn't a table cloth on my desk.

Yes. I get up, get washed and dressed, then I leave.

No.

Should it be? I keep crap out of the way up there.

I don't own a table.

At least some of them.

I don't have a porch.

Vacuumed, yes.

8. Is your floor clean?

Nope.

Nope.

Haha, fuck you too!

My what???

No, I can afford to buy bread.

I don't remember.

Yes. Like Lavender.

Yes.

Nope.

Yes.

I don't have a garden

No.

Yes

Yes.

LOLWUT?

Nope. I can afford to buy clothes.

I don't have or want a husband. If I did, he would iron his own fricking shirts.

Mostly

We don't have those here.

Clean enough to see through.

When I have the time and can be bothered.

Never.

Yes. I've read many good books, learned to Crochet, and learned a good amount of Dutch.

Is this for realz? I mean, is she offering to pay all our bills if I stay at home and start behaving like I have some sort of OCD? lol

Ladies shouldn't post self-righteous rants about how other people should live their lives unless they have completed the following:

1. Have you served your community in a useful and selfless way in the past week?

2. Have you read a good book or otherwise sought out an edifying activity in the past two days?

3. Have you fully researched and implemented the most conscientious choices in your life for all of the following:

-the environment

-child labour

-sustainable food

-healthy food

-fair living wages

4. Have you worked to eliminate world and local poverty, famine, disaster relief? Doesn't count if it was for financial, political, or soul-points gain.

5. Have you spent time with the elderly, and children in your community?

6. ensured that the disabled in your community have equal access and those that need assistance have all they need?

7. Are you literally (not practically!) perfect in every way?

Yes. I get dressed, check out Pinterest and pack a lunch for work.

Washed yes, put away no.

Yes

One table is clear (no centre piece), second table has a box of books and pile of papers, both of which have been there for over a week.

Yes to fridge, Yes to some kitchen cupboards, no to anything else.

no and no

no carpets.

8. Is your floor clean?

yes.

yes, my company generally has low standards.

No to all of that

I would like to know more about a person whose buttons fall off so frequently they set aside time to sew them all back on. I believe in 2008 a button came off my purple sweater. I did put it back on. Nothing to catch up on since then.

yes.

no.

is neutral/no smell nice?.

No. Safe to say no plans to do so in next 3 years either.

No. Last made my bed in the 1990s most likely

No

I have a potted plant. Does that count?

Only the four I organized last week.

Yes, facebook does an excellent job.

Yes.

Is this code for "have you paid your bills?" yes. It's a little too early for me to start on Christmas cards though I think

No.

I don't have or want a husband. If I did, he would iron his own fricking shirts. QFT

yes

Seems rather pointless as I've never had a garage sale.

I am hoping they are self-cleaning. Last cleaned in 2007.

yes

yes

Yes. And all done with a JOB that pays me $$!!! I sure am a lucky gal!.

Okay, assuming my roommates are my children (with the amount of picking up after them that I generally do, it's pretty close), here's how I do:

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house? Wake up. Lie in bed as long as humanly possible. Jump into some clothes, brush teeth, brush hair. Consider makeup, decide you "don't have time" for the 100th day in a row. Make some coffee, consider breakfast, decide you "don't have time". Realize you are late for class. Slurp down coffee and run for class, then come back because you have inevitably forgotten something.

2. Are your dishes washed and put away? We tend to put ours in the dish rack and use it again directly from there - there are items in our cabinet that haven't been used in the two years we've lived here.

3. Is your cabinet top clear? But where would we keep the pots and pans?

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece? We dine wherever we feel like it, cover the table in papers and textbooks, and if cans of Rockstar count as a centerpiece then we pretty much always have one.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months? Bahahahahaha.

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road? No, it's hideous, as are most Toronto yards in early spring. Mud and garbage cans and cement. Lovely!

7. Are your carpets clean? We don't have any.

8. Is your floor clean? Maybe if people are coming over. Important people, mind you.

9. Is your living room ready for company? Don't have one!

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!) Laundry. Oh yeah, that. If my clothes are reasonably clean, I'll wear em again. Laundry's every 2-3 weeks. Coin-op is a hassle.

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up? Besides the fact that I've kept two buttons from my winter jacket in the pockets for four years, yes.

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory) Well...sometimes I buy bread from the store. That counts, right?

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice? Let's skip to the next question.

14. Does your house smell nice? Yes, the smell of marijuana and bacon is very nice.

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?) Occasionally we change the posters on our bulletin board.

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh? Pfft, why make it if you're just going to mess it up in a few more hours?

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) Toronto in winter - not a great idea. Whether it's precipitation or soot or smoke from illicit substances (there are three head shops within a block of my house), those sheets and clothes are getting ruined.

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot? I think the neighbours might have started a garden, but not the kind you'd approve of.

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized? In the sense that "clothes go in closet, I guess" and "dishes go in drawers, I guess", sure.

20. Are your photos organized? Photos? Who has physical copies of photos anymore? I have a picture of my dog and that's it.

21. Are your computer files organized? Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the one on the list where I actually am caught up.

22. Is your correspondence caught up? Once again, what correspondence? What decade is this crazy lady living in?

23. Do you make any of your own clothes? Unless you count that time I made a bikini out of tin foil, nope.

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt? I don't have a husband, or an iron. Double fail.

25. ARe your books organized? They're on shelves. And the floor. Does that count?

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales? No, most of our stuff was scavenged from the sidewalk anyway.

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients? If I am sufficiently bored, yes, but generally for special occasions.

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month? Well...beer.

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill? I'm in college. Call me a commie heathen whore if you like, but I'm definitely learning.

I don't think this blogger would approve of me :(

I love you.

Yes, I get up at 5am, workout, shower, and am at work by 7.

Yes

Yes

Yes and yes. Right now the centerpiece is a fruitbowl, but it changes throughout the year.

Yes, I'm an organizational nut. Just cleaned the fridge 2 weeks ago.

Yes, we even have a decorative flag.

Vacuumed, yes.

8. Is your floor clean?

Yes, steam clean them every week.

Yes

Yes, hubby does the laundry.

Yes, I can sew.

No, not right now but I'm working 60 hour work weeks something has to give. We buy our bread from the bakery they make it fresh each day.

Yes, it gets clean every week.

Yes

Yes.

Yes and Yes. We wash bedding every week.

No we can't hang clothes on the line we live in Michigan and it snows almost 12 months of the year.

Yes flower and vegetables

Yes, again I'm an organization nut.

Yes

Yes.

What little we get.

Nope. I can afford to buy clothes.

No hubby does the laundry if he wants an ironed shirt he does it himself.

Yes

Yes and either donate to Goodwill or sell at online garage sale.

Yes, clean once per month inside and twice per year outside.

Yes, I meal plan and cook almost everything from scratch.

Nope

Yes, I read about a book a month.

Wow it is possible to do all those things and still work. AMAZING!

Get up, hate the world, shower, drink black tea, leave.

At the moment, yes, and might I add that this is a rare occurrence at my house.

Er...next question

Empty cakestand, decorated as and when inspiration strikes. Easter eggs at the moment.

No, just the cutlery drawer.

Nobody sees our entry way from the road.

Vacuumed, by chance.

8. Is your floor clean?

Depends on the room.

Loud and resounding NO. Prospective company, please call in advance if you want to visit.

I'd rather bring in another income.

No, UFOs all over the house.

I do low carb, so no bread.

It smells of vinegar as I used it to clean the shower.

Can't tell, got a cold.

Again, I'd rather have the income.

Wohooo, YES again!

Sure. And why would this be better than being financially independent?

Stuff on the balcony, but at the moment everything's rather frozen.

LOL

In a file on my computer. Is that organized enough?

They are...files.

I write emails, does that count?

Yes, right now I'm making a vogue jacket with lace overlay. So much more fun than cleaning!

He asks me to let him iron his own shirts. Apparently, my work is not up to standard.

Yes

I try not to buy stuff I'll have to chuck out after a couple of years.

Slightly.

Yep.

No.

Yes, definitely.

So...does this make me a bad housewife, eligible to work outside the home or what?

Wow it is possible to do all those things and still work. AMAZING!

Do you have a morning routine in the house?

Yes. I wake up, climb over the bf, shower. When I'm drying my hair, he stumbles in and showers. I put clothing on, pick up my lunch that I packed the previous night, and kiss my boyfriend good bye as we race to our vehicles and go to work. At work I tend to finish putting on my makeup and attempt a hairstyle.

Yes.

The counters are clean. The top of the cabinet contains items that are not frequently used, yet still have specific purposes.

I keep plants on the table, and the parrot likes to hang out there. We eat sitting around the coffee table, sitting on giant pillows.

No.

I don't have a porch. I have a front step, and a deck. The deck is as cheerful as something that spends September - May covered in snow can be. The front step & walkway are snow and ice free, because safety.

No. Carpets are never clean, that is why we have laminate wood floors. Also, parrots and carpets do not mix. Nor does Alaska and carpet.

8. Is your floor clean?

Yes. As clean as floors in a home with a large parrot can be.

It is, because we had company over the weekend. Anyone who comes over is invited or calls first. I don't know people who just drop by.

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!) It's washed and hung on hangers or folded. I don't own an ironing board. My old roommate ruined mine and I haven't replaced it yet.

No.

I CAN bake bread, but I choose not to. I don't even buy bread, we don't eat enough of it to bother.

It's a rental, so no, it's not shining. It's clean and smells like bleach.

Honestly? I think it smells fine. Sometimes it smells like "bird" - I can't really explain the odor.

It's small, and a rental. The furniture has one arrangement that works. I'm not about to put a tv in front of a window or block the fireplace.

No.

No. I used to dry my clothes indoors, but it makes the humidity in my house too high and then I get ice on the inside of my windows.

Yes, but not tomatoes, They don't grow for me.

Sure.

I can find what I need.

21. Are your computer files organized? Is this really something that needs to be done? Save stuff where you want it in the first place.

Like letters and stuff? Or email. I haven't sent a letter since summer camp.

I can, but I make enough money that I don't have to.

If my boyfriend asked me to iron his shirt, I would iron it. But we keep it casual up here in the North.

The ones that I've unpacked are organized.

No, and I really should donate stuff. Garage sales are not a very good ROI.

The insides are. I will wash the outside when I won't freeze, and when washing won't create a layer of ice.

When I cook, I cook interesting and delicious meals from fresh ingredients.

I've had people over for drinks and board games. Not tea though.

I've taken a few seminars through my job, learned some new skills, also read several books. Set your sights higher, lady!

All the items on Lady Lydia's list are just far more important than FEEDING MY CHILDREN!!! :angry-banghead:

(Graduate student here, who has sacrificed work/having any money, ever to get through a more prestigious but time consuming and demanding state school program)

Nope. I have to be up at a different time every day - class 2 days a week, see clients at my mental health internship 4 days a week, help care for my toddler niece (my brother lives in the other half of the duplex-type building) as needed. And I'm fine with this.

Put away?! I live in a former garage with a total of like 2 cabinets. No point in removing them from the sink, really.

Yes. My one and only cabinet top is clear (the garage was converted to a studio apartment by my Great Uncle Biff in the '60's, and fyi he was NOT a licensed contractor).

Well ... no. I have a lonely little coffee table. It holds the computer I am currently typing on. As well as some speakers, a small cactus, and some authentic 1970's table grapes. Also a beer bottle (please don't faint, LL, but sometimes I HAVE AN AFTERNOON BEER WHILE I STUDY.).

I can say that my fridge is objectively disgusting. Who gives a crap? It doesn't smell weird and I live alone. If/when I (gawd forbid) get a boyfriend again, I will consider making it a bit less gross. I do regularly toss out the giant bags of produce I buy (with the best of intentions) when they get soft.

Yes, this is where I like to read, drink, and have the occasional cigarette, so I sweep it regularly.

Erm, no. I realize a tile floor is hardly feminine, but it will have to do. I make a point of vacuuming daily, however, since I WISELY ELECTED to get a dog even though I'm a bit allergic.

8. Is your floor clean?

See above. And is it just me, or is this question a bit redundant?

Actually, my living room/bedroom/dining room/kitchen/foyer etc is always ready to go! Please note that I live in a studio apartment so I'm really only straightening up one room.

There is a reason I have a 30 day supply of underwear. However, I do manage to wash my sheets at least once a week (my stupid fluffy dogs are always welcome on my bed).

Nope. I know a great, affordable tailor though.

No.

My mother has never baked bread.

My father has never baked bread.

My Gram probably has, but I don't remember her doing it.

My oven is broken.

There is no room for a breadmaker on the single countertop in the kitchen.

I prefer to get my carbs from pasta.

(I also don't have a pasta maker, as it is available fully prepared for less than $2 at the store)

Unlike my fridge, my toilet is very clean. Why? I live alone and there's no one else to soil it (although my niece does try when I have her over).

I think so? But I have no conclusive proof - again, I live with dogs and have allergies. I haven't had any complaints?

Yeah. Right. I bought a used couch from Craig's List a couple years ago after my last one broke. Graduate school isn't exactly lucrative.

Yup. For the first time in my life, my bed is made each and every day. Considering it's basically in my living room, it bugs me when it isn't made.

I lay out my unmentionables (LL would faint ... an UNMARRIED WOMAN in LACE?? lol) and sweaters. Everything else goes in the dryer, as I am not a crazy person.

Do dandelions count? I do have several houseplants in various stages of health.

Sort of? I've become quite good at economizing due to lack of space.

I have a single photo album from my childhood and a couple pictures of dogs/nieces on my walls. It's not 1950, Lydia ....

My papers and research articles are all saved under "Documents?" WTF does a housewife (no offense) even HAVE to organize on her computer???

I actually do enjoy sending thank you cards (when you're as poor as I currently am, being thoughtful has to replace being generous). So yeah, the 4 or 5 times a year I need to mail a card, I do so promptly.

What. Is that a thing? I mean, maybe a prom dress or something ... but, like, ALL of your clothes? That's crazy. And fabric is pricey.

No husband here. And I haven't owned an iron since ... well, since I moved out of my parents' house at the age of 18. I've cohabitated with 3 different men (shameful!!!), and I don't recall any of them expecting me to iron their clothes.

Yes, just not necessarily on a shelf.

I regularly SHOP at garage sales? And I donate old clothes to the temporary housing place where I do my internship.

The curtains are clean-ish. That will have to do.

Gawd, no. Broken oven/stove-top, lack of skill and interest - I would rather have a sandwich or salad and save the fancy meals for parties and the rare occasion when I can afford to eat out.

Does whiskey count as tea? Then yes, yes I have. Quite frequently, in fact.

Well, I'm in graduate school, and working at an internship that requires me to research interventions and diagnostic criteria quite frequently, so ... yes. As far as pleasure reading goes - I don't have much time for it, but over spring break last week I read 3 novels (and no research!!).

Number 30 makes me really, really sad. I mean ... I'm hardly a super genius, but I can't believe ANYONE would be happy only reading or learning one thing a year. Granted, I don't have a Headship to boss me around all of the time, but still. How can you set the bar so low??

And, just for the record, DOUG PHILLIPS IS A :music-tool:

"15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?)"

Yeah so...I wanted to make actual money to help keep the fam fed and housed, but o SNAP! Decided to stencil some duckies on the kitchen walls instead!

I think the direct cause of most of the problems with this shit moronic list is the relatively low attention given to reading vis a vis things "smelling good" and "shining". If I only had time to read one book a year, cleaning anything would drop right off the roster of priorities. Maybe that's the problem with these pinheads...they're scrubbing the grout when they could be reading "The Cabin" or whatever.

Oh this is fun, I love surveys.

Wake up, make coffee, watch the news, get ready for work... (Yup, I have a career!)

Usually, I'm a bit ocd and can't stand dirty dishes lying around.

I can't reach the top of my cabinets, there's probably lots of dust.

I actually have a centerpiece on our dining table, it's one of our mock centerpieces that I'm working on for my upcoming wedding/reception. However, most of the time our table displays various strewn items, like handbags and mail.

No. I probably should do the fridge soon, but we've only lived in our house for a few months, so everything is still pretty fresh.

Actually, yes. I've been cheering up the front porch for spring and it looks super cute.

They're new and we vacuum once a week, so yes, they're fine.

8. Is your floor clean?

We don't have kids, so it's pretty clean. I sweep/clean the hardwood twice a week.

It's ready enough, but my company is polite and usually calls ahead of time.

As cleanly as I am in the rest of the home, laundry is my vice. My clothes are currently clean, but never ironed, and definitely not put away.

All my clothes are from Target, and are therefore pretty much replaced seasonally. No need.

I have never baked bread in my life. I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not really into baking or cooking.

My guest bath is, yes. My bath? I wouldn't use the word "shining" but it's not dirty.

Yes, I am a lover of candles and incense.

Recently moved in to a new home... still decorating... we're getting there. And the only reason we could buy a home in the first place, or decorate, or paint, or buy new furniture is because we have TWO incomes.

I only make the bed on the weekends, or if we have guests. I don't see the point otherwise. And like I said before, laundry is my vice... the sheets could probably be fresher.

Too humid here. Delicates dry on a rack in the laundry room, everything else goes in the dryer on low.

I'm working on a container garden for the front porch. I'm also learning about becoming a backyard beekeeper.

Kind of...

Yes, by year and event.

Yes, clearly labeled and sorted.

Despite my social anxiety, yes, for now.

No, but I can make different pillows, handbags and totes!

No, because he irons them himself.

25. Are your books organized?

They are neatly arranged on shelves, but in no particular order.

No, I usually donate my items.

I have yet to clean them, but they look fine to me.

Yes, despite my lack of interest in cooking and baking, I do make heathy dinners at home.

No, but I had friend over for wine and hookah... that's pretty much the same idea, right?

Absolutely, way more than one... and my career fosters a lot of my learning and creativity!

Please note I am not saying people who don't make their beds are wrong, or anything; but something is puzzling me.

At least two posters have said their bed doesn't get made because its occupants get up at different times.

Not "I don't make the bed because partner gets up later" but "the bed doesn't get made because we use it differently".

Assuming two lots of eight hours, there's still a gap when there's no-one in it. Could it not get made when the second person gets up?

I can think of three possibilities: (a) two people are required to make a bed (b)eight hours is not long enough to let it air ©poster thinks it's not worth it just for eight hours.

(a)weird, (b)only slightly less weird, ©fair enough, though I consider the main reason to make the bed is so that it feels nicer when you get in.

Oh, Lydia. I'm a SAHM, and I don't do half these things. This woman is slipping a little bit. Between the "fog tea" and cheap sewing projects, she might need a bit of counseling.

I do make my bed though, because I'm compulsive that way.

Archived