IGNORED

Ladies shouldn't work unless they've completed the following

snuggles911

Lady Lydia at the Home Living blog homeliving.blogspot.com/2007/09/taking-time-to-reflect.html has a to-do list women should follow before deciding to seek employment outside of the home. Here it is:

Do you have a morning routine in the house?

2. Are your dishes washed and put away?

3. Is your cabinet top clear?

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece?

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months?

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road?

7. Are your carpets clean?

8. Is your floor clean?

9. Is your living room ready for company?

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!)

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up?

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory)

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice?

14. Does your house smell nice?

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?)

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh?

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer)

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot?

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized?

20. Are your photos organized?

21. Are your computer files organized?

22. Is your correspondence caught up?

23. Do you make any of your own clothes?

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt?

25. ARe your books organized?

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales?

27. Are your windows clean?

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients?

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month?

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill?

Guess I shouldn't be working. I haven't completed a quarter of the things on her list.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of this shit can be and is being done by working women, as well. Lady Labia fails again.

What the hell does she think women with jobs live like? Most of that is basic human being stuff that everyone with a house has to do to avoid living in their own filth, and the rest isnt important when it comes to earning money so you have a house to bake, sew and read in. Whether you have a job or not, whether you are single or in a relationship, whether you have no kids, two or 20, you still need to clean and organise the house, do the washing up and cook their own meals.

Has this been posted before? It seems really familiar.

I agree that's pretty ridiculous. Even if I didn't work I probably wouldn't be able to check off half the things on that list, unless I wasn't raising kids at the same time.

My kids are cleaning up their messes right now so they can go on the wii. I just called out, "don't forget the centerpiece!"

"what's a centerpiece?"

"a beautiful arrangement for the dining room table!"

"....k..." ::to her sisters: "we have to make a centerpiece."

"what's a centerpiece?"

Lol I think I'm going to get a centerpiece today and be well on my way to LL success!

Lady Lydia at the Home Living blog homeliving.blogspot.com/2007/09/taking-time-to-reflect.html has a to-do list women should follow before deciding to seek employment outside of the home. Here it is:

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months?

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road?

8. Is your floor clean?

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!)

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory)

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?)

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer)

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill?

Guess I shouldn't be working. I haven't completed a quarter of the things on her list.

I think she's trying to say that women only work outside the home because they are bored, and if they are bored they should do some of the things on the list to make their home nice, instead of getting a job.

That is why some of the items like home decorating and bread making aren't "musts" but something that she considers a bonus.

All of that stuff is done but I'm not the one who did it. I married a partner, he did about half and I did about half and the rest was completely by completely competent children able to do age appropriate self care.

Can I go to work now? Yes? Thanks.

*oops, no center piece on my table, but there is a vintage table cloth so that counts?

I think she's trying to say that women only work outside the home because they are bored, and if they are bored they should do some of the things on the list to make their home nice, instead of getting a job.

That is why some of the items like home decorating and bread making aren't "musts" but something that she considers a bonus.

And she never considers that paying the bills and feeding the family are a "must". Being willfully out of touch with reality makes baby Jesus cry.

I love how she thinks women get jobs because they're bored and have too much free time and not because, you know, they need the money.

Screw Lady Lydia! A lot of women work out of necessity not greed.

It's just her way of hinting that women have so much stuff to do at home that it's already a job. The list is kind of dumb as it consists of normal activities for anyone with a house and/or family. I wonder what she'd say if a woman says she makes enough money for someone else to take care of half that list. Does that count?

Has this been posted before? It seems really familiar.

I agree that's pretty ridiculous. Even if I didn't work I probably wouldn't be able to check off half the things on that list, unless I wasn't raising kids at the same time.

I am a homemaker with grown kids and I do't do half the things on the list either. My husband makes the bed and washes up after he has breakfast. I do not ask him to do this; he does it of his own volition. I do most all of the laundry as I'm home during the day and I love to cook. I do volunteer work, have five fur kids which are more work than you'd think and am planning a major renovation of my home this year.

Lady Lydia neglects to mention that redecorating takes money even if you do it on the cheap. She also forgot to put canning and making jellies and preserves on the list of things that a homemaker should do.

Well this has been a revelation. There is in fact no centerpiece on my table. Clearly the only possible remedy for this is to quit my job, abandon my clients, double the workload of my colleague, cut my family's income by two thirds, scurry home and immediatly take up dried flower arranging. What other option could possibly exist?

Geesh, maybe working for health insurance or money for food trumps having a centerpiece on the table? These people are clueless, aren't they.

BTW, my table is covered in a Lego city, and has been for two years. My husband and I eat at the kitchen island or the breakfast nook or the deck when we have company. The kids in my life love having a place where they can play Legos, and know that however they leave it, it will be the same way when they return. Becky Home-ecky I'm not, but the kids know I love them and enjoy seeing their imaginations at work. Centerpiece vs. life long memories...I'll take the memories.

Hooray! Eleventy!

I get to work outside the home. I've got that list pretty much down pat (except the inviting people over for tea thing - which as an introvert strikes dread in my heart). It is actually not that hard for me. Why? Because (1) no children - so only two adults to manage (2) we have no clutter - really - about 5- 6 years ago we did a massive declutter and organization and now it is just a matter of maintenance (3) both of us are neat and organized and we share the housework pretty fairly (4) reading books does not count as a task - I read because I love to read and as for learning new stuff - this month I learned how to crochet (5) my husband does not ask me iron because I hate ironing and am crap at it while he is excellent at ironing and finds it a zen like activity to do - also he is an adult who can look after himself

So maybe Lady Lydia should take home care tips from me then..... :D

#30 cracks me up-- I had a book read from cover-to-cover within the first two days of 2013. Booyah! Where do I sign for my paycheck?

I have just read this list out loud to Mr. MtL, who listened with a growing look of horror on his face, then suggested the following for #31: "Have you alphabetized your tampons?"

if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread.

This needs to be made into a user title at some point, it's so classic. Maybe "Bakes Bread Out of Boredom" or something.

Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt?

Fuck, my husband has to ask for a CLEAN shirt, and he better ask nicely...

I have just read this list out loud to Mr. MtL, who listened with a growing look of horror on his face, then suggested the following for #31: "Have you alphabetized your tampons?"

It only counts if you color-code them too.

Oooh, oooh, oooh, I'll play!

Yes, it's called wake up, stumble into the shower, get dressed, and whoever isn't in the shower when LittleBabyNothing wakes up gets to get him ready for Grandma's house

That's hubby's job. I do laundry, he does dishes.

Woo hoo, no tops of cabinets in our kitchen.

No. Because my kitchen has NO FREAKIN' STORAGE. We have a cardboard box under the table that is our "pantry," this kitchen is so small. But there technically IS a centerpiece right now, Mr. Nothing brought me flowers the other day.

I DID clean out the junk drawer about a month ago.

Lady, it's 30-some degrees in Northeast Ohio today. The porch furniture doesn't get pulled out until at least May.

We have cats. Of course they're not clean.

8. Is your floor clean?

In addition to having cats, did you not hear that I also have a baby?

If you don't mind sitting in a pile of baby toys, come on over. I'll clear a space on the couch for you so you'll have some place to sit.

Yes, it's washed & folded & sitting in clothes baskets, because just like we don't have enough storage in our kitchen for all our food, we don't have enough closet or dresser space for all our clothes right now.

Um, yes. How many buttons does this woman have fall off clothes in an average day? Maybe once a month Mr. Nothing has a button fall off a pair of pants, and maybe possibly I've finally taught him how to do it himself. (He does wash dishes, though, so I don't mind the occasional button sewing for him)

Yes, we do occasionally bake bread. Love our bread machine :mrgreen:

You should have come over three weeks ago, when I did my major bathroom deep-cleaning.

It smells nice to me.

No. Because my house is TINY and where stuff is is where stuff goes, no room to rearrange the furniture every month.

There are sheets on the bed. We consider that made in our house.

Actually, I DO! But not on a line, on drying racks in the basement, because again, it's 30-some degrees outside today. And the sheets still go in the dryer because again, we have cats.

Once threat of frost is gone, yes, the garden is going in, so nah nah nah boo boo

No storage areas = nothing to organize :dance:

More or less yes.

They're organized well enough.

That's what Facebook is for, baby!

:laughing-rolling:

No, because my husband knows how to use the iron himself.

Sadly, no, they're in boxes because there's no room in the tiny house right now for my bookshelves :crying-yellow:

Yep.

No. Because there's a smear on the front window from our cat that died in 2009, and neither my husband nor I have been able to bring ourselves to wash that spot yet.

Yes we do. Having a yummy pasta dish tonight.

That's what the Starbucks down the street is for.

OK, seriously, how can someone go through life and NOT learn something new all the time? :roll:

Archived