Marianne

Hello everyone =)

A little topic to talk about classical music, if there are amateurs. This is my passion (and my - future - job). I start with my two favorite pieces of classical music :

La Moldau, by Smetana

and Violin concerto by Tchaïkovski.

And I continue with two pieces of opera that I love :

Don Giovanni, Mozart, air du catalogue :

(the text is very funny)

Les Contes d'Hoffmans, by Offenbach, Barcarole :

(I don't like Anna Netrebko, but Elina Garanca has a beautiful voice - she sang the Carmen of the MET and it was beautiful.)

And you ?

Sorry, I'm old-skool. As much as I may love Schubert or Mozart, my absolute fave is Bach "Wachet auf, und ruft uns die Stimme" for its "rather simple" mathematical properties. It's lovely in its simplictity, IMHO. YMMV.

NHhuyhlSSiA

I love Elina Garanca! Recently had the chance to see Isabel Leonard live, which was a real treat.

For some reason I'm going through a Russian phase - Tchaikovsky is an old favourite who has come back to me. Vivaldi can be fun, and Schubert too, but for soprano work, you can't beat Mozart. A few years back I did an evening of Mozart pieces with another soprano and a baritone, and it was absolute hell to prepare but oh so satisfying!

@ Samurai Sarah :

If you love Bach, I can't resist at the temptation to advertise for a very talented trumpet player, Alison Balsom, who adapted the works of Bach for trumpet (yes I am trumpet player !)

(Here there is an explanation of his work, and a short presentation.)

I love the song you posted.

Crayforkate I am very jealous that you were able to see Elina Garança in concert.

Recently, I saw an American singer, Joyce Didonato. A beautiful voice, accompanied by a string orchestra awesome. She spoke very good French. And we were very proud that American singer chose to do a concert in Paris and a concert in our city. But, It didn't make me love Baroque opera. Yes, her voice was very nice, but after 4 songs I had the impression of having heard all this song. Really, Baroque opera, I can't (and not much baroque in general - except Bach and Purcell. Which is a shame because in classical trumpet, there mostly baroque).

^ I LOVE baroque.

Not this 70s classic so much though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYYF36CQxNg

I have the LP of it which i yoinked from my parents collection, I have a feeling it may have been a joke present as it doesn't fit with their impeccable music collection.

My neighbour growing up was a conductor for various Australian orchestras. In summer when he had parties he would have a string quartet, it was so nice listening to the music wafting over.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone =)

A little topic to talk about classical music, if there are amateurs. This is my passion (and my - future - job). I start with my two favorite pieces of classical music :

La Moldau, by Smetana

and Violin concerto by Tchaïkovski.

And I continue with two pieces of opera that I love :

Don Giovanni, Mozart, air du catalogue :

(the text is very funny)

Les Contes d'Hoffmans, by Offenbach, Barcarole :

(I don't like Anna Netrebko, but Elina Garanca has a beautiful voice - she sang the Carmen of the MET and it was beautiful.)

And you ?

Don Giovanni, my favorite opera! my favorite aria and the best performance ever:

MUnDXmJaiko

samurai sarah, thanks for that gorgeous rendition!

Here in the midwest USA, I'm ashamed to say that I don't take advantage of our Bach Society Chorus nor of the American Kantorei performing "Bach at the Sem" every year.

http://bach.csl.edu/

Love this topic! I'm a new opera fan and it's so fun to have yet another group of folks with whom to enjoy it, even if it is all via teh webz! ;)

Love opera, especially Puccini and Monteverdi. Turandot is a favorite.

I love Shostokovich (I know it isn't 'classical' but for the US vernacular it is.) Schubert, Vivaldi, and early music.

I love Bach too, and gave birth to my second to Bach's Cello Concertos played by Pablo Casals. (That's my favorite, I love Yo Yo Ma too, but Casals are the best to my taste. FWIW.)

Love opera, especially Puccini and Monteverdi. Turandot is a favorite.

I love Shostokovich (I know it isn't 'classical' but for the US vernacular it is.) Schubert, Vivaldi, and early music.

I love Bach too, and gave birth to my second to Bach's Cello Concertos played by Pablo Casals. (That's my favorite, I love Yo Yo Ma too, but Casals are the best to my taste. FWIW.)

It is 'classical' on this side of the pond!

It is 'classical' on this side of the pond!

Curious and not cranky - how is Shost'h not classical in Europe? Just wondering.

Hey, all: go to http://www.rafstl.org for live-streaming of CLASSICAL ARTS RADIO IN SAINT LOUIS & *T*H*E *W*O*R*L*D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited, classical music (and all the arts!) radio is back on the air. And available everywhere. The three daytime announcers are among my heroes. :cracking-up:

Curious and not cranky - how is Shost'h not classical in Europe? Just wondering.

Hey, all: go to http://www.rafstl.org for live-streaming of CLASSICAL ARTS RADIO IN SAINT LOUIS & *T*H*E *W*O*R*L*D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited, classical music (and all the arts!) radio is back on the air. And available everywhere. The three daytime announcers are among my heroes. :cracking-up:

Read woman, I said it is classical!!! :) :)

I thought "classical" was a specific period, like baroque or romantic, and I figured that Shostokovich is "modern period." So maybe there is Classical, with subsets like baroque, romantic, classical and modern? (And indeed, says Naxos, that is the case!) http://www.naxos.com/education/brief_history.asp I've had hardcore symphonic music fans say when I say oh I love classical music, like Bach, say "He is baroque!" ugh.

I thought "classical" was a specific period, like baroque or romantic, and I figured that Shostokovich is "modern period." So maybe there is Classical, with subsets like baroque, romantic, classical and modern? (And indeed, says Naxos, that is the case!) http://www.naxos.com/education/brief_history.asp I've had hardcore symphonic music fans say when I say oh I love classical music, like Bach, say "He is baroque!" ugh.

Why ugh??

• 1 month later...

Do you like classical music? If so, this is the thread for you. What are some of your favorite classical songs, composers, or artists? Has anything funny or embarrassing happen to you while performing?

I'm on a Joshua Bell (violinist) kick. I'm also fond of Jascha Heifetz and Itzhak Perlman as well (both are violinists), but I'm also in love with Evgeny Kissin (pianist)

Lately, I've been obsessed with La Campanella and Paganini's 24th caprice. I found this on youtube and I was blown away.

This is my dream song. Maybe I'll be able to play it 10 years from now. Maybe. My favorite bits are the double stops.

I treasure the recordings I have of Issac Stern on the violin. Perlman is also wonderful.

Andreas Segovia on the guitar. Now that man can make me weep.

I can listen to "The Rite of Spring" by Stravinsky all day, as well as Rachmaninoff playing the piano.

Oooh, definitely going through a Russian phase. Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky - give me more, I'm thrilled. And of course there's always my man Mozart. As a singer I'm always into classical singers, though I'm ruined for sopranos - very very picky. I got to see Isabel Leonard (a mezzo) recently which was a joy.

The only soprano I can listen to for more than two minutes is Maria Callas, may her memory be eternal. Give me a basso-profondo any day.

For me, in terms of tenors, Jose Carreres is the man.

See, I can't get into Callas. She had a lovely, love voice, don't get me wrong, but there's just something I don't really like about her. I like Diana Damrau, Renee Fleming, Lucia Popp, and Joan Sutherland a lot. I tried to get into Sumi Jo but I can't. I think it's because she's a lyric coloratura, but Renee is a lyric soprano as well yet her voice is more resonating. (I could be wrong about Renee)

I used to like Sarah Brightman but I don't know what she did do her voice. Maybe it's just age, but something doesn't sound right when she sings in the lower register, and something sounds off when she sings the Phantom cadenza.

Aside from being obsessed with The Magic Flute and Phantom, I'm on a Rusalka kick. I do often wonder what a dramatic coloratura Christine (Phantom) would sound like. I'd imagine she would sound a lot like Carlotta, and that would be absolutely awesome. But alas, the role calls for a lyric soprano. I do prefer the more operatic Christine's (Trista Moldavan, Sandra Joseph) and I was a little disappointed when I saw Samantha Hill as Christine last month on Broadway, oh well.

I have been obsessed with Chopin lately. I don't know why.

• 3 weeks later...
See, I can't get into Callas. She had a lovely, love voice, don't get me wrong, but there's just something I don't really like about her. I like Diana Damrau, Renee Fleming, Lucia Popp, and Joan Sutherland a lot. I tried to get into Sumi Jo but I can't. I think it's because she's a lyric coloratura, but Renee is a lyric soprano as well yet her voice is more resonating. (I could be wrong about Renee)

I used to like Sarah Brightman but I don't know what she did do her voice. Maybe it's just age, but something doesn't sound right when she sings in the lower register, and something sounds off when she sings the Phantom cadenza.

Aside from being obsessed with The Magic Flute and Phantom, I'm on a Rusalka kick. I do often wonder what a dramatic coloratura Christine (Phantom) would sound like. I'd imagine she would sound a lot like Carlotta, and that would be absolutely awesome. But alas, the role calls for a lyric soprano. I do prefer the more operatic Christine's (Trista Moldavan, Sandra Joseph) and I was a little disappointed when I saw Samantha Hill as Christine last month on Broadway, oh well.

My grandfather was an opera lover (so am I) and he always said 'that bitch screams' about Maria Callas. He was a Renata Tebaldi admirer. I sort of agree, but Maria Callas had this incredable drama in her voice which I really like.

Renee Fleming is a fantastic soprano!

Just for fun, here is a hilarious nun scene from 'Le comte Ory'Rossini, with my favourite baritone Ludovic Tézier and the absolutely fantastic Glyndebourne chorus!

k5GTtwHATOI

Oh man, the faces! I cracked up, especially when the men started dancing, hahaha.

Oh man, the faces! I cracked up, especially when the men started dancing, hahaha.

OMG! It's like watching Monty Python meets Les Ballet de Trocodero de Monte Carlo!

I love just about all classical music -it just depends on my mood. I'm a sucker, though, for Pavane for a Dead Princess and Bolero by Ravel, Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, and Dance of the Blessed Spirits by Gluck. It just occurred to me that two of those pieces feature the flute. No wonder I like them!

edited for riffle