IGNORED

Coffee Habits

crazyforkate

I use a regular coffeepot, or drink peppermint or seasonal lattes, hot or iced, when I have gift cards for Starbucks. I can't drink it black, but make it strong (about 1/3 cup of grounds for 2 cups of coffee). Then I put it in my giant mug or thermos, add about 2-3 ounces of almond or soy milk, and 1-2 spoons of sugar. I'm terrible, I know. I prefer the raw sugar (that you get in the brown packets at coffee shops). Honey is also great- if it's on the condiment bar, I put it in. One of my favorite drinks is Cafe Miel- a basic latte, but with honey instead of flavored syrup, and cinnamon. I drink that as often as I can afford to in the winter, because it's essentially my cure-all for sore throats and coughs.

When I go up north on the weekends in the summer with family, I really like this local specialty, too- iced vanilla latte, but half vanilla, half maple syrup. The syrup gives it this really robust, but not overwhelmingly sweet, flavor.

• 2 weeks later...

I always used my grandmother's old coffee maker that would perk up in the glass "bubble" thingie on the stove. I used the same coffee she used in it for over 30 years: Maxwell House. I think the machine would have bitch slapped me if I'd ever tried to sneak in another brand other than hers :lol: Then we moved into a house with an induction stove and I was screwed. I also developed an ulcer around that time, but just to show how strong my addiction is, I found a way to cheat doctor's orders -- I use milk and that caramel vanilla instant latte stuff. I still get my coffee fix, but my ulcer doesn't make me feel like I'm having a mini heart attack. Sure, I feel kind of like I'm a big old Nancypants when I buy it, but I have to confess, it's grown on me and I actually think it's yummy now. I have one cup in the morning before I wake up the kids and then I have one more when I get back home after the school run in the morning and then I'm all jacked up and can clean my house like the good little OCD nut that I am :D

• 1 month later...

I need advice from fellow Jingerites. I pulled my Dad in Secret Santa this year ($100 limit). He's a huge coffee fan and it's kind of the only thing we have in common, so I wanted to get him something coffee related. I know he loves the idea of the Cona coffee makes and I've gotten him one of the cheaper knock-offs in previous years. I'm wondering if people think Chemex might be something interesting for him to play around with. I'd love other suggestions too. The Chemex was just the first thing I thought of.

If you can find a Keurig on sale...Chemex is good too. Otherwise, google "Deathwish Coffee." Expensive, but the strongest coffee on the market!

My roommate moved out and stole the French press (which came with the apartment, so it wasn't his) - I'm on instant until I can find a replacement. DAMN YOU ROOMMATE.

My roommate moved out and stole the French press (which came with the apartment, so it wasn't his) - I'm on instant until I can find a replacement. DAMN YOU ROOMMATE.

We do a modified pourover letting the coffee steep in hot water before filtering it with kitchen towels when we're camping. Its better than instant!

Archived