IGNORED

WTF is wrong with microwaves?

Boogalou

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the microwave all the time. I'm in college and I have a job- usually if I don't want to eat takeout I don't have a lot of time to cook, so I just put things in the microwave. I've been doing this all my life, and I'm not dead yet.

Although I will say that water heated in the microwave tastes weird to me. I use a hot pot for that.

Wow, someone else! I don't know what it is about microwave popcorn either, but I just can't stand the smell. I quite enjoy both stove popped popcorn and the stuff you get at movies or the corner store from those big commercial poppers (without the "sauce" on it, but it's seasoned yellow already) but just something about the the prepackaged bag stuff for the microwave just smells awful to me.

That said though... if you like air-popped popcorn, you can make it in your microwave. Just get a plain paper bag, put some raw popcorn in it, roll over the top a few times, and put it in the microwave. It will pop in there. It will start slow, go fast, then when things get back below one pop a second or so, take it out. The popcorn won't have ANY sauce on it (it's dry, just like any air-popped), so if you want to put spices on it you will probably want to toss it in a bit of oil or butter afterward.

Ooh, thanks for the tip. I've been fretting about getting an air popper but not wanting yet another kitchen gadget (we have - and use - virtually every gadget under the sun. Crockpot, bread machine, Kitchen Aid, fondue pot (2), ice cream maker, juice...). The husband also can't stand the smell of microwave popcorn cooking and I'm trying to eat healthier, so air popping makes sense, but I already feel like I have a kitchen gadget addiction...

I use the microwave at work, where my officemate and I have one in the office.

I don't have one at home, though, because when I was married, they came with the apartment, and military housing does not include them. It drives my other half crazy because he uses his a lot.

As a single adult, I find the microwave indispensible. Yes, I can (and have, and do) cook up meals, but you know, to make it economical, you have to cook what for me are several meals. I get tired after about meal #3. Hence, the microwave.

I completely agree. I usually make 2 or 3 of the same thing, and use these fantastic divided plates with vented lids. Sometimes I'll even make 6-8 servings (like an entire box of pasta) and freeze the complete meals for later. Then I have a stack of pre-made meals that I can just pop in the microwave. I usually eat the same thing 2 nights in a row but that's not so bad. I eat leftovers more often than "firsts" so the microwave is my good friend.

For those that don't use a microwave, how do you heat up leftover lasagna that's not in the original pan? For example, my husband takes a serving to work for lunch the next day. How would he heat this up? Truly curious!

MY husband would heat it up in a microwave if its leftovers he took to work.( That would be very rare, as he takes a yogurt,apple,granola bar and a cheese stick every day and never gets sick of it.)

I would probably eat leftover lasagna cold and so would my kids. They will eat anything leftover cold(even fish and french fries ewwwww),and for breakfast even! We like cold pizza better than warm, I have eaten cold lasagna too. I am a homeschooling Mom and always have access to the oven if I want to heat leftovers.Today I am having leftover fried chicken which I am eating cold because I want it cold.

If I am home and we want leftovers heated, I will transfer the stuff to a pot and heat it with a lid or reheat in glass pyrex in the oven.

I completely agree. I usually make 2 or 3 of the same thing, and use these fantastic divided plates with vented lids. Sometimes I'll even make 6-8 servings (like an entire box of pasta) and freeze the complete meals for later. Then I have a stack of pre-made meals that I can just pop in the microwave. I usually eat the same thing 2 nights in a row but that's not so bad. I eat leftovers more often than "firsts" so the microwave is my good friend.

When I was younger my mom would just cook 1 day a month and make 6 or 7 huge main dishes, put them into 2 portion size tupperware and freeze those. Then she'd just take one out of the microwave for dinner.

I've been thinking about actually trying that method, because cooking for 1 sucks. I hate it.

MY husband would heat it up in a microwave if its leftovers he took to work.( That would be very rare, as he takes a yogurt,apple,granola bar and a cheese stick every day and never gets sick of it.)

I would probably eat leftover lasagna cold and so would my kids. They will eat anything leftover cold(even fish and french fries ewwwww),and for breakfast even! We like cold pizza better than warm, I have eaten cold lasagna too. I am a homeschooling Mom and always have access to the oven if I want to heat leftovers.Today I am having leftover fried chicken which I am eating cold because I want it cold.

If I am home and we want leftovers heated, I will transfer the stuff to a pot and heat it with a lid or reheat in glass pyrex in the oven.

Yes it's not that hard. the main inconvenience is that it does not take 2 min, other than you pretty much can do everything without the microwave.

Yuck. I'm one of those people that loves my food hot (so hot I can't touch it with my fingers, but I'll put it in my mouth), and if I don't get one hot meal a day I usually end up pretty cranky.

Guest Anonymous

I would probably eat leftover lasagna cold and so would my kids. They will eat anything leftover cold(even fish and french fries ewwwww),and for breakfast even!

I'm 100% with the kids on this one, clibbyjo! I can't really explain why, but I never heat up leftover fish. I'd rather it right out of the fridge.

Yes it's not that hard. the main inconvenience is that it does not take 2 min, other than you pretty much can do everything without the microwave.

Thanks for all the replies!

I just went over there to see the photos and it appears that she doesn't know how to take care of the pricey herbs she spent money on. I was told to keep them in a cool, dark, dry place to preserve them. So the worst place is to keep them is over the oven/stove out in the open to display them. The best place would be in a closed cupborad or pantry. But why worry about using ruined herbs and spices when you need to worry about an ebil microwave? :roll:

Count me as one of those that doesn't keep her herbs and spices in the cupboard. I'd never use them if I did that. I do, however, keep them away from the stove and other humidity areas. And the bulk refill bags (I buy from Penzey's. I spent $50 there this weekend...) are in a cool, dry, dark place.

Thank you, LPL. Now I can tell my sons that there is another mom out there who does not allow microwave popcorn. Besides the crap that's in it, it literally makes me nauseated every time I smell it. It's an artifact from my pregnancy with the twins (at least that's when it started). I do not have this reaction with stove-popped corn, just the microwave stuf, so I think it must be the chemicals in it. I have such a strong physical reaction that no one in my office will make microwave popcorn (I work with nice people :) ) because they know it affects me. Ugghhhhh. . .

I don't allow it either - in my home or in my classroom (I teach SpEd, and have a full kitchen set up, which we use regularly...). A couple of months ago, my teacher-on-call didn't know the microwave in my classroom was not for popcorn due to the odour, and kids made about 5 bags (resourceful little darlings!) at lunch one day. My room smelt icky for a couple of days.

At home, we put 1/4 cup plain popcorn kernels with 1 tsp oil (canola/olive/whatever) into a brown paper lunch bag. Fold over the top a couple times, and hit the popcorn button. Season as desired once it's done. No chemicals, just popcorny goodness!

Guest Anonymous

oooooo I want a kitchen aid!!!

I inherited mine from my grandmother. Its harvest yellow. I'm going to use it until it dies and then I'm going to save up and get the $600 "professional" one with all the dodads, bells, whistles and attachments. Homemade sausage? don't MIND IF I DO.

I'm becoming a bit of a "make everything from scratch" type simply because I like to see IF I can do it just for fun (I LOVE to cook) So far my bread has turned out GREAT, haven't tried pasta yet.

I'm becoming a bit of a "make everything from scratch" type simply because I like to see IF I can do it just for fun (I LOVE to cook) So far my bread has turned out GREAT, haven't tried pasta yet.

I just got a pasta roller for Christmas. Homemade pasta is the BEST! I use 2 eggs per 1 cup of whole wheat flour plus a little bit of salt. Mmm... SO GOOD! :) Oh, just as a tip, if you get a pasta roller, they say to sprinkle flour between the rollers but I've found that spraying it with a little bit of oil works better.

I just got a pasta roller for Christmas. Homemade pasta is the BEST! I use 2 eggs per 1 cup of whole wheat flour plus a little bit of salt. Mmm... SO GOOD! :) Oh, just as a tip, if you get a pasta roller, they say to sprinkle flour between the rollers but I've found that spraying it with a little bit of oil works better.

Do you have the 3 pack of pasta stuff?(the stretcher/dough thingie,and the different noodle sizes ) That is what I have. I am thinking of making homemade oat lasagna noodles tomorrow. I haven't made those yet and all that lasagna talk has got me wanting some.

Do you have a good bread recipe? I and done with the bread maker, mine is never great in there. I want to make the 5 minute artisian breads but sub out the flour to rice,oat or coconut.

Do you have a good bread recipe? I and done with the bread maker, mine is never great in there. I want to make the 5 minute artisian breads but sub out the flour to rice,oat or coconut.

There's a second cookbook by the 5-minute artisan bread folks, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have this one, and I've found it very helpful. Lots of options for different kinds of flour, too. They start with a basic wheat recipe but they branch out really quickly. Also, the authors have a blog--they do answer questions there, so they might help you sub out the flour if the book is insufficient.

EVERYBODY WAIT! Taryn has two books that say we should not be using microwaves:

I have two books that do not recommend microwaves-The Seven Pillars of Health by Don Colbert,M.D. and The Great Physician's Rx for Health and Wellness by Jordan Rubin with David Remedios,M.D.

Although I am slightly disappointed that she did not provide page numbers I am still convinced. The microwave is leaving tonight because it is not good (notice how I said good instead of OK? I know you did.) I am so glad Taryn has commented again, I have not seen her around in a while.

EVERYBODY WAIT! Taryn has two books that say we should not be using microwaves:

Although I am slightly disappointed that she did not provide page numbers I am still convinced. The microwave is leaving tonight because it is not good (notice how I said good instead of OK? I know you did.) I am so glad Taryn has commented again, I have not seen her around in a while.

It was short, made sense, and she didn't ramble or quote scripture. I declare it to be an imposter Taryn!

Guest Anonymous

There's a second cookbook by the 5-minute artisan bread folks, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have this one, and I've found it very helpful. Lots of options for different kinds of flour, too. They start with a basic wheat recipe but they branch out really quickly. Also, the authors have a blog--they do answer questions there, so they might help you sub out the flour if the book is insufficient.

:)

That's exactly who I use for my bread recipes!

I have both these books and love them! I have yet to experiment with gluten-free breads but that's part of my plan for the fall. My mom and grandmother both have Celiac's and I was just tested with inconclusive results, Doc told me I should just stop eating gluten because further testing would be intrusive.

Plus, I'd just love to be able to turn out good hot gluten-free bread for my mom. I already make her knock-off Red Lobster biscuits, cupcakes, donuts and coffee cake, but I'd like to cover all the bases. :)

I have a china cabinet in my kitchen, but I don't have "fancy" dishes, nor do I want to deal with storing them to only use 1-2x a year, so I keep all of my flour, sugar, etc in big jars in the large part of the top cabinet. There is a ledge thing in there to hold platters or plates upright, I use it to store my spices. The bottom cabinet holds the big roasting pans and the gigantic crockpot thingie my mother in law gave me. I think it's actually a roasting oven, but I use to make chili or veggie soup cause it holds about 3 gallons, and I can the leftovers.

I have both these books and love them! I have yet to experiment with gluten-free breads but that's part of my plan for the fall. My mom and grandmother both have Celiac's and I was just tested with inconclusive results, Doc told me I should just stop eating gluten because further testing would be intrusive.

Plus, I'd just love to be able to turn out good hot gluten-free bread for my mom. I already make her knock-off Red Lobster biscuits, cupcakes, donuts and coffee cake, but I'd like to cover all the bases. :)

Is it a book for a bread maker? Or can I use my bread maker?

Clibby, it's true that it depends on your bread maker. My friends had one and they used to just let the dough rise and take the dough out and bake it themselves in their oven. With their new one they just leave it in (although they're constructing their own stone oven in their garden :P

I inherited mine from my grandmother. Its harvest yellow. I'm going to use it until it dies and then I'm going to save up and get the $600 "professional" one with all the dodads, bells, whistles and attachments. Homemade sausage? don't MIND IF I DO.

If you went out and bought the new one today, and set the 2 side by side and used them equally, most likely the old harvest gold (blast from the past-- everything was harvest gold the year I got married) would outlive the new one.

The old one was made when Hobart owned/made the KitchenAid brand. A few years ago, Hobart sold the brand to Whirlpool, and the new ones, while pretty good, are not as durable as the Hobart-made ones.

The new ones sure are pretty, though.

Archived