IGNORED

WTF is wrong with microwaves?

Boogalou

So ZsuZsu husband apparently just took out their ebil microwave because it sucks and is unhealthy and all the commenters are saying "WOW!! OMG!!!1! that is so awesome and I wish I could be that healthy because Satan sent the microwave to make us turn away from Jesus!1!!!" (This might be a slight exageration.) And yet, no one has EVER said what is so wrong with microwaves. They say everyone else is gullible for accepting evolution and, you know, science but when it comes to microwaves they don't need much, they just chuck 'em secret, unstated reasons.

I really have no strong feelings about my microwave but tomorrow I am going to microwave every damn thing I eat before I eat it in honour of ZsuZsu and the PP.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be that neutron radiation coming from Japan.

I just cashed in my debit card points and got a brand new Sharp Full Size Microwave oven. Can the congregation say Right on? It's wonderful.

Maybe Steve's tinfoil hat set off sparks when he stood too close????

If something's wrong with microwaves, I should be flat out dead by now. I made it through law school on the strength of my microwave. And that was 25 years ago. Not much has changed since then.

If something's wrong with microwaves, I should be flat out dead by now. I made it through law school on the strength of my microwave. And that was 25 years ago. Not much has changed since then.

Agreed! I'm a uni student and I eat way too many things that have been microwaved. If they were as dangerous as she claims my insides would look like they were h bombed by now. Though apparently, a fear of small appliances is not uncommon among fundies. Christine from the Sister Wives refuses to have a toaster or a microwave. She makes toast in the oven and on one episode where they stayed in a hotel with microwave she was lost. Robyn later informed her you could make eggs in it.

Must be that neutron radiation coming from Japan.

I just cashed in my debit card points and got a brand new Sharp Full Size Microwave oven. Can the congregation say Right on? It's wonderful.

Maybe Steve's tinfoil hat set off sparks when he stood too close????

Right on! Amen and a bunch of other stuff. My 4th kid should be glowing in the dark if they were bad as I had weird pregnancy issues and my kindergardner wanted a lot of frozen dinners for lunch. Ok, fine I wanted to eat the crap too but you know how it is when your pg, you give in to craveings to keep from being sick. Anyway, I cooked up 2 hungry mans every other day for months during that pregnancy and nothing is wrong with #4 other than he is a boy who knows everything on the planet. :roll:

I'm pretty sure my neighbor would have some sort of fake science to tell me why microwaves are bad for you, but after some creepy "health advice" he gave me, I just try to avoid him.

Guest Anonymous

wasn't there another fundie blogger that was deathly afraid of microwaves? Nothing wrong with them now, although I think the first models caused some burns......35 years ago

wasn't there another fundie blogger that was deathly afraid of microwaves? Nothing wrong with them now, although I think the first models caused some burns......35 years ago

Pretty sure that was Jessica (blogger.com/profile/07333867623075088666). Her blog doesn't exist anymore (I think) but she still has a blogger profile up.

We had one in the mid-70's, the only burns were no different than today. Just not being cautious about how hot something was.

Clibbyjo- mind if you share why you got rid of your microwave? I know some people who are afraid of them, and some just because it doesn't suit their cooking style.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with microwaves. They don't poison you or bombard you with harmful amounts of radiation. They're no worse for you than computers, which fundies apparently have no issues using.

her page reminds me of a neighborhood with dogs. she starts howling about the non existent burglar and the rest start up too.

We had one in the mid-70's, the only burns were no different than today. Just not being cautious about how hot something was.

Clibbyjo- mind if you share why you got rid of your microwave? I know some people who are afraid of them, and some just because it doesn't suit their cooking style.

I had the same one for about 15 years(and yes I heated up baby food and everything in it)until I heard how the plastic wrap I covered my vegs. with were poisoning the food as it cooked and causing cancer(I admit my fundie sister told me this, but it was her toddler with cancer). Since my dad and nephew both had cancer at the same time, I was panicing about everything and then the micro broke and I just threw it away and never bought a new one. I only miss it for reheating leftovers and hot water.

Right on! Amen and a bunch of other stuff. My 4th kid should be glowing in the dark if they were bad as I had weird pregnancy issues and my kindergardner wanted a lot of frozen dinners for lunch. Ok, fine I wanted to eat the crap too but you know how it is when your pg, you give in to craveings to keep from being sick. Anyway, I cooked up 2 hungry mans every other day for months during that pregnancy and nothing is wrong with #4 other than he is a boy who knows everything on the planet. :roll:

Well there it is! Her children were turning out smarter than her... and we all know that can't happen! :roll:

ETA: We have a microwave but it's barely used. Not because I'm afraid of it (nro is my partner) but I cook from scratch 9/10 times. So our microwave is pretty useless most nights, yet it's the first real investment we made in our house.

I had the same one for about 15 years(and yes I heated up baby food and everything in it)until I heard how the plastic wrap I covered my vegs. with were poisoning the food as it cooked and causing cancer(I admit my fundie sister told me this, but it was her toddler with cancer). Since my dad and nephew both had cancer at the same time, I was panicing about everything and then the micro broke and I just threw it away and never bought a new one. I only miss it for reheating leftovers and hot water.

Many plastics in microwaves can be dangerous (right? I'm not just buying into some conspiracy here, am I?). I lurve my microwave but I'm very careful about not putting a cheap plastic bowl or plate in there.

I still remember our first microwave, when they became all the rage. We got it when I was 5 or 6. I'm pretty sure I'd have a brain tumor the size of Kansas if there were any danger because I pressed my nose to the door of that sucker every time we used it.

all the commenters are saying "WOW!! OMG!!!1! that is so awesome and I wish I could be that healthy because Satan sent the microwave to make us turn away from Jesus!1!!!" (This might be a slight exageration.)
Ha, love it.

What's wrong with microwaves? They make life easier. I never heat milk on the stove, and I use the microwave for re-heating leftovers.

If it was BPA in the plastic- that is thought to cause ovarian cancer. I try and stay away from it too. (it's in plastic bottles and generally all over the place. Even in the canning jars I love (I haven't figured that one out yet, since I'm not fond of the two alternatives, I just am hoping it's a small enough amount...)

I don't use mine a ton, but I don't put plastic in it very often anyway. Usually either my stoneware or pyrex. I've been converting my "tupperware" over to covered glass containers too. (other than my bento boxes, but those are all known to be BPA free)

According to some, it "denatures" the food. The Livestrong website says:

"Of the macronutrients, the most sensitive to heat are proteins. In general, proteins become "denatured," meaning inactive, when exposed to high temperatures. As such, the proteins in your food are denatured by cooking -- regardless of whether you cook on a stove or in a microwave. Denaturing a protein, however, doesn't change its nutritional value. In fact, even if you ate your food raw, you'd denature the proteins as soon as they reached your stomach -- acid also denatures proteins."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/36358 ... nutrition/

Ours is kept under the sink. I'm not afraid of autism or alzheimers or whatever horrible disease that I'm supposed to get from using it... I just don't use it that much and wanted the counter space! :P The only negative effect of microwaves I've noticed are the ocassionally rubbery reheated meal.

Edited because I started two sentences in a row with "According to" and it was bothering me...

We only use ours to reheat left overs and maybe heat up a bowl of frozen veggies, oh and to defrost frozen meat. I won't allow microwave popcorn because of the fats and oils and crap. I make the kids use a hot air popper and if they want butter then they can melt in the microwave where it is only butter instead of chemical butter. I have problems with fake food, not in how its cooked. :shhh:

Maybe rather than worrying about the microwave affecting her health, she should focus on cleaning her kitchen counters, walls, and stove first. Look at the picture she posted close-up, yuck. That kitchen looks filthy!

Guest Anonymous

We got rid of ours. I was only using it to defrost meat and it wasn't doing it evenly at that.

I just loathe the way food tastes out of one. No judgement, just don't need one.

However, take away my kitchenaid mixer and my ice cream maker, and i'll cut you. For real.

Maybe rather than worrying about the microwave affecting her health, she should focus on cleaning her kitchen counters, walls, and stove first. Look at the picture she posted close-up, yuck. That kitchen looks filthy!

Huh?

I'm a big advocate for not using a microwave. :D Personally, I find the food that comes out of them less tasty that something cooked in/on a conventional oven. I didn't grow up using one and haven't needed one as an adult. My partner grew up using one, but doesn't miss not having it as an adult.

It's like anything else non essential in your life, get rid of it, get used to not using it, and you'll never miss it.

I had a microwave in the 80's. Hated it. I never liked the texture of the food warmed/cooked in it. I got rid of it after 5 years and haven't had one since then. Don't miss it. Don't wish I had one. I have a toaster oven to use for quick items.

One of my sisters refused to stay at my house unless I bought a microwave for her to use while she was visiting. Didn't happen.

Is this going to become an, "I'm better than you since I don't use *insert item here*." I think that whether or not you have a microwave is a choice- not everybody wants to live "simply." Personally I like some conviences, even I don't need them. (I spent a good portion of this winter living without electricity because the power goes out when it snows here, and it snowed a lot! I was just fine. But I was so glad to have power back after each stretch of several days.) I'm more of a "frugal" and "DIY" type than "simple." Do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me, but don't start spreading lies about something. (Like the "danger" of a microwave. Yeah, some plastics have danger, but a microwave, nope.)

QueenMother- that is crazy about your sister.

Archived