IGNORED

How I Met Your Mother

crazyforkate

There were some nice moments in the finale.

I wasn't happy with everything they did, but I'm going to think about it a bit before I say too much.

Yeah, the last 10 mins really were kind of upsetting to me. I did screech & throw a pillow at the TV, which I only do when Sarah Palin is on. While I appreciate the fact that the kids were supportive of his final choice, it seemed anti-climatic.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what really bothered me was that this whole damn season was about Robin and Barney's wedding, and then they just tossed it aside with a "eh, whatevs."

I liked the mom, and I thought she and Ted worked well together. I do think he really loved her.

All the shenanigans to get he and Robin single again and ready to be together felt weird.

I think what really bothered me was that this whole damn season was about Robin and Barney's wedding, and then they just tossed it aside with a "eh, whatevs."

Yes!! An entire f-ing season just for their wedding weekend and then they get divorced in the finale?! WTF

I don't know how I feel about the end. I was over the whole Ted-and-Robin thing a long time ago. I did like how Ted looked with the grey hair, though. And the kids were right - an entire show about how he met the mother, but she's hardly in the story. I really would've liked more episodes with the mom.

Yes!! An entire f-ing season just for their wedding weekend and then they get divorced in the finale?! WTF

I don't know how I feel about the end. I was over the whole Ted-and-Robin thing a long time ago. I did like how Ted looked with the grey hair, though. And the kids were right - an entire show about how he met the mother, but she's hardly in the story. I really would've liked more episodes with the mom.

Yes, all this too!!!!!! I STILL don't get the blue French horn thing. What was that about again?

But, my dad is a black-haired architect, and when Ted was lecturing his daughter about the building he designed, it brought back nice memories of my dad giving me the same speeches:)

The blue French horn dates back to Ted's first date with Robin, like in episode 1. It was on the wall at the restaurant, and they stole it.

So was I. It would have worked if the show had ended anywhere around seasons 2-4. But the characters grew in such different ways.

And if Robin and Barney didn't work because of her job, why would we believe that domestic, homebody, traditional Ted can make it work with a Robin that they showed to be even more invested in work than ever before?

The creators put themselves in a corner by filming one and only one ending with the kids so many years ago. And apparently, they didn't stop to think about keeping the characters true to that ending along the way. The biggest problem for me is that if this was always the plan, they never should have got Robin and Barney together in the first place.

The blue French horn dates back to Ted's first date with Robin, like in episode 1. It was on the wall at the restaurant, and they stole it.

Oh ok, thanks! Mystery solved:)

Here's the recap, for the five of you who haven't watched it yet. I liked most of it. Even the Robin and Barney breakup - it was very different, but I was never sold on their pairing anyway, especially in the past season. It seemed more true to them than married bliss, let's put it that way. However, I did hate how they treated the Mother's death and Ted's reunion with Robin. It was just such a throwaway, especially after they went so far to establish how happy Ted and the mom were and how Robin drifted apart from everyone else. And I thought the whole POINT was about Ted moving on and growing up enough to meet the real love of his life! Anyway, you can read more below.

http://blog.freejinger.org/worldly-dist ... t-forever/

Aw, shucks, you make me blush.

So I've heard a thought that the upcoming HIMYD will end with

Barney being the father...so it's all about Ellie's mom.

We haven't even rolled cameras, and they're already starting the obsessive fan theories?

:think:

Aw, shucks, you make me blush.

So I've heard a thought that the upcoming HIMYD will end with

Barney being the father...so it's all about Ellie's mom.

We haven't even rolled cameras, and they're already starting the obsessive fan theories?

:think:

That is about as plausible as the "Ted marries Barney's sister" theories that were extremely hampered by such a character never being featured. I believe the explanation was that it would be his father's daughter he had not met.

Honestly, I was a huge fan of the show but never caught up in the "who is the mother" mystery at all. The clues were cute. But finding out who Ted married was never why I watched.

As for the ending, I've actually adjusted to it over the course of the day. I choose to view it this way: now we know that in the year 2030, Ted dates Robin yet again. And, just like the last two and half times, it won't work then either. :lol:

I watched the finale today, and I was so extremely disappointed. I hated that all the growth and change that the characters went through was just thrown aside. Barney's growth especially. It made the entire season seem incredibly pointless since it was all about Barney and Robin's marriage only for the marriage to end less than 15 minutes later.

Ted and Robin dated over and over and failed over and over, and now they're suddenly together again. To me, it seems like the show evolved a lot more in the nine years since the finale was filmed that it just undid everything.

I watched the finale today, and I was so extremely disappointed. I hated that all the growth and change that the characters went through was just thrown aside. Barney's growth especially. It made the entire season seem incredibly pointless since it was all about Barney and Robin's marriage only for the marriage to end less than 15 minutes later.

Ted and Robin dated over and over and failed over and over, and now they're suddenly together again. To me, it seems like the show evolved a lot more in the nine years since the finale was filmed that it just undid everything.

Which is why my conclusion is that it fails again and perhaps Ted realizes that taking dating advice from a pair of teenagers is a bad idea.

Like I said, they put themselves in a corner. And if they were smart, they would have not used that footage and found a way out of it. They didn't have to use it just because they filmed it. We've barely had shots of the kids for years anyway.

The finale (and Season 9 in general) have left such a bad taste that I've decided to go back and rewatch the show from the beginning. Leaving out some of the dumber episodes, of course. I need to remember why this show was so good!

The finale (and Season 9 in general) have left such a bad taste that I've decided to go back and rewatch the show from the beginning. Leaving out some of the dumber episodes, of course. I need to remember why this show was so good!

The Pineapple Incident is a good place to start feeling better about it. :D

I also wish there would have been more episodes with the mom. I like the actress and she had some good chemistry with Josh Radnor.

The Pineapple Incident is a good place to start feeling better about it. :D

I never saw that episode. What happens in the Pineapple Incident?

I know I wasn't as bothered by the finale as some were(I completely understand). I think where a lot of it went awry was in mid series when they decided to make Barney and Robin an item. The kids part of the finale was recorded in season 1 or 2, so that was their plan all along but Barney and Robin weren't an initial plan. I personally love the Barney child part.

I could justify what happened to the mother but not how the love triangle ended up. It reminds me a lot of Family Matters ending when you had Myra and Urkle perfect for one another and then at the very end they shove Laura with Steve which wasn't right.

I never saw that episode. What happens in the Pineapple Incident?

I hope I get this right. It's been a while since I saw this episode.

Ted wakes up in bed with a woman he does not remember. He was very drunk the night before. There is a pineapple on the nightstand.

He goes into the living room and has a conversation with the others, trying to piece together what happened and who the woman might be, and where the pineapple came from. In the end the woman sneaks out the window and they never find out about the pineapple.

I hope I get this right. It's been a while since I saw this episode.

Ted wakes up in bed with a woman he does not remember. He was very drunk the night before. There is a pineapple on the nightstand.

He goes into the living room and has a conversation with the others, trying to piece together what happened and who the woman might be, and where the pineapple came from. In the end the woman sneaks out the window and they never find out about the pineapple.

Most importantly, it features drunk Ted. I love drunk Ted.

And the woman is Winnie Cooper from The Wonder Years. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was, luckily, not that invested in the show. And I'm glad I wasn't, because I can see why everyone is so upset about the ending. I really liked the Mother--WAY more than Robin. Just seemed like such a waste...

Archived