IGNORED

Taliban Tony and Lina's crisis of faith/marriage

wtylcf

What the heck is this?! Our friend Tony seems to imply that he was contemplating suicide but has decided not to do it. Or was he contemplating a metaphysical sort of death, in the religious sense? It must produce some extreme cognitive dissonance when one abruptly switches from fake jewish religious beliefs to atheist beliefs, so maybe he decided to go back to crazy fundamentalism and has been spared spiritual "death?" He still likes the page "sexy atheists" while Lina continues to have super-religious cover photos on facebook. I am confused. It's all so DRAMATIC. It would be awful if he were serious, but it kind of sounds like plain old attention whoring to these cynical ears. His family is obviously religious and seems to have interpreted his post as some sort of "come to jesus" moment.

Facebook screencap below:

post-356-14451997507005_thumb.jpg

I can only imagine what Lina's life must be like right now. Stressful, is what I'm thinking. That woman needs a better fallback plan than staying at home as a submissive wife to someone who changes his religious beliefs more often than some people change the oil in their cars.

tony's facebook is here: facebook.com/SaveEarthVegan

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Standing alone, his post sounds like Lina almost died.

But, taken with the responses, it does sound like he is being congratulated for coming back to religion.

Maybe Lina said she couldn't live with an atheist.

Standing alone, his post sounds almost like Lina almost died.

But, taken with the responses, it does sound like he is being congratulated for coming back to religion.

Maybe Lina said she couldn't live with an atheist.

Yes, the "OMG Lina's health is in danger" response also makes total sense. My mind went right to suicide. This is a classic example of why dramatic vagueposting is so annoying. If he has returned to religion, I wonder what form his new beliefs will take; I can't imagine him becoming boring and mainstream, special snowflake that he is.

He has accepted Jesus again. Chances are Lina had several people pressuring him to reconvert. He'll probably start writing posts about being a reformed atheists. Some evangelicals can be relentless. You think that they want to have a normal friendly conversation and they are just waiting for the perfect moment-when you are vulnerable- to tackle you and force you back into the light. It sounds as if he could not remain an atheist in peace. He'd either have to convince his wife to leave her faith(which isn't fair either), get a divorce or come back into the fold.

Luckily for me, my husband does not bring up religion. I respect him and don't try to deconvert him and he does not try to preach to me.

I thought he had been sick, perhaps with the flu, Lina nursed him back to health, and he was being overdramatic about the experience. On the other hand, one of the commenters said she was relieved that he's "not another statistic," which makes it sound like he was contemplating suicide. In late February, he was selling the family sukkah and the comments are all Jesus-y instead of Yeshua-y, so I think he's going back to plain vanilla Christianity.

Maybe his crisis was a crisis of faith or maybe he just has a mental illness. These rapid mood swings i.e. one moment at death's door and the next an eleventy level of joy makes me wonder if he is not bipolar.

Guest Anonymous

It seems that it was his grandmother who exclaimed her gladness that he has 'not become another statistic'. How can a grandchild ever be reduced to being a 'statistic' in their own grandma's eyes, over a simple matter of what they believe? THAT is when religion is damn scary.

Mercy, the drama. Sounds like that vegan diet has left TT starved for attention.

Didn't they have a baby?

yes. He's adorable and named Azariah. He must be close to a year old now. (ETA: 8 months old in March).

yes. He's adorable and named Azariah. He must be close to a year old now.

Tony posted a gorgeous pic of Azariah on his Facebook page on March 14, and also posted that he reached 8 months on 3/18.

I so hope his parents settle into something non-damaging as a way of life, and that the swings back and forth and experimenting end soon.

Going by the comments I'd say that he's turned back to religion.

From the wording of the post, I'm thinking Lina threatened to leave him if he didn't jump back on the God boat. I wonder if she staged an intervention of some sort...

Did this post disappear or am I crazy? (It's been a long day and entirely possible).

I know I saw it before, but now I don't see it.

I can't believe I feel sorry for him, but I do. It must suck not being respected, nor even accepted, for being who you are.

I can't believe I feel sorry for him, but I do. It must suck not being respected, nor even accepted, for being who you are.

He has accepted Jesus again. Chances are Lina had several people pressuring him to reconvert. He'll probably start writing posts about being a reformed atheists. Some evangelicals can be relentless. You think that they want to have a normal friendly conversation and they are just waiting for the perfect moment-when you are vulnerable- to tackle you and force you back into the light. It sounds as if he could not remain an atheist in peace. He'd either have to convince his wife to leave her faith(which isn't fair either), get a divorce or come back into the fold.

Luckily for me, my husband does not bring up religion. I respect him and don't try to deconvert him and he does not try to preach to me.

Did this post disappear or am I crazy? (It's been a long day and entirely possible).

I know I saw it before, but now I don't see it.

Yeah, I think it's gone. Don't see it on his page.

From TT's public facebook, it looks like his mom was freaking out at one point about his change of heart. He posted some musings in November on the virtues of humanism, and this was her reply:

Mary Cheeney Dodd There is truth!!! The truth is our Great Creator and everything that is written about Him!!!! Y'Shua taught us all how to walk perfectly in that truth...and He was the greatest humanitarian of all ages!! And He looked at the souls of all humans and loved them enough to lay His life down for them!!! I want to be like my Savior!!!!!! THE TRUTH!!!

Maybe she thinks the more exclamation points she uses, the better she can convince her son to return to the fold.

I stopped looking at his mom's profile when she got sucked into a black hole of endless meme-ing, including that totally fake picture of what a "12 week old fetus" looks like.

I stopped looking at his mom's profile when she got sucked into a black hole of endless meme-ing, including that totally fake picture of what a "12 week old fetus" looks like.

I've been reading too much Dede and Xgay; totally read this as "12 year old fetus".

I've been reading too much Dede and Xgay; totally read this as "12 year old fetus".

It's like that episode of South Park where Cartman's mom wants a 40th trimester abortion. :lol:

Archived