IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

Something got to my corn and my peppers and eggplants are still growing. This has been a strange garden year.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's Monday night, it must be time for one of my standard lazy late-summer suppers: Trader Joe's cheese blintzes, plain yogurt, and raspberries from our garden.

My appetite has been completely wonkus for the last two weeks. I am going to a festive dinner (the annual tomato dinner that a local restaurant puts on). I predict that I will eat many vegetarian tomato-centered things over the next few days, because there is no way I am going to have space for six courses in one meal.

Grilled salmon with black garlic pan sauce, balsamic-roasted Brussels sprouts and roasted fingerling potatoes all washed down with a budget Riesling. TJ's frozen macarons for desert.

Spaghetti with homemade sauce and mozzarella cheese, Italian bead, and sparkling grape juice. was going to have chocolate cake for dessert, but got too busy and never baked it.

Shrimp po' boy, Voodoo Heat Zaps, raspberry iced tea, and TJ's triple gingersnaps as my congratulatory meal for completing a 4hr workout.

Having a friend over for dinner. We're making vegan mapo tofu, stir-fried bean sprouts, and rice.

For dessert I'm making gingered plum sauce.

I had a baked potato (from my parents' garden), with snipped chives (from my garden), melted cojack cheese, and toasted almonds. Halloween peanut M and Ms for dessert.

Leftover bean sprouts and rice. I am about to have a nightcap of turrón-flavored ice cream. (The ice cream is modeled on a nougat flavored with honey, citrus rind, orange flower water, and nuts. It's slightly adapted from a David Lebovitz recipe.)

7 layer salad - with 6 layers of veggies and 1 layer of bacon. No mayo layer. Corn Muffins. Vanilla Bean ice cream for dessert.

Kids specially requested this after seeing the recipe on Pinterest. They used to love the Duggar-style 7-layer salad, but prefer veggies.

Also, just something interesting. We were watching the Mother's Day dinner episode and my 8 year old said she was a better cook than the Duggar girls.

Almost verbatim 8 year olds commentary - "Who opens a bag of salad and doesn't add extra veggies? Really, Mom? She burned the packaged rolls? Strawberry shortcake with frozen strawberries?"

I was raised to cook like the Duggars. Everything still has cream-of-whatever soup. It is hard to change, but can be done. There are a lot of recipes to try, cooking blogs. Food Network and Cooking Channel. Wonder why at least Jill doesn't try to learn something new? One new recipe every 2 weeks isn't stressful for a SAHD.

Archived