IGNORED

What Would Your Other Half (or halves) Do If You Submitted?

rward

The fundies go on and on about the benefits of submission and how all men want a submissive helpmeet, but I tried to picture what my husband would do if I submitted, and I came up blank. So I called him.

Me: What would you do if I submitted?

Him: Did what?

Me: You know, like fundies. Submit, let you make all the decisions, be a helpmeet.

Him: I'd tell you to go paint the ceilings until you got over it and dumped a can of paint all over me. (Note: We have had to paint ceilings. Next time, I'll just leave the ceilings black. Yes, black.) Besides, you know I can't run (his studio). That's why you do the business stuff and I get to be the artiste*.

So, what would your partner do?

*This is a joke between us. We pronounce it arrrrrteeeeeeeest. He's a brilliant musician/recording engineer, but as a businessman, he sucks. We ended up having to apologize to the IRS. So I run the business end, and he's the artiste.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'd have me committed. Or at least put on a three day evaluation. It is not how we structured our relationship at all....YAY for a forward thinking man!

Me: So do you want me to be a submissive wife?

Him: Like sexually?? Yeah, OK, sounds fun.

Me: No. Like me not saying anything about the leaking ceiling and waiting for you to make the decision to call the plumber.

Him: Oh. God no. What idiot thought that one up?

He'd be pretty sure I'd been a victim of the body snatchers or that I'd lost my mind so completely that I needed immediate psychiatric intervention.

Mine would absolutely loathe it. He'd get very quiet at first, withdraw from me and brood, then explode in anger. "Why do I have to make ALL the decisions?" He hates feeling responsible for everything, because then if anything gets fucked up, it's his fault.

We do best at discussing things and coming up with a workable solution. For instance, a few weeks ago he said "I think we should switch the dining room and living room." My first thought was that that was a stupid idea, but I said I'd think about it. The more I thought, the better the idea seemed to me, and a couple days later I said "Okay, let's do this, and if we hate it, we'll just switch them back."

Thing is, he was happy that I took the time to think about it. He knew that I agreed with him because I genuinely thought it was a good idea, not because he has a penis.

I think he'd lose his mind. I'm definitely a "loving female authority" in our relationship. He's good in his domain but is pretty much overwhelmed with day to day stuff on top of his job. I think the kids would eat a steady diet of ramen noodles and pass out whenever they got tired if he didn't have reminders of the time of day and such (honey, its 8 pm on a school night, it's too late to watch a movie with the kids). Bills would go unpaid until they were in collections. Cars would die from lack of oil changes. The cat box would never be cleaned again. The fish would starve since they can't ask for food like the cats can. That sort of thing.

Mine would first try reminding me that April Fool's Day isn't here yet. Then he would demand that the podperson inhabiting my body let him speak to his wife. As a last resort, he would haul me in to the nearest neurology clinic for an MRI.

He would hate it. He loves that I manage a company, bring home a paycheck and also run the house and kids well. I think he would send me off to the clinic to be evaluated as well.

I think aside from the ' have you lost your mind?' comment he'd hate it. We're supposed to be a team that shares equally with no real tally being kept and supposed to have each others back. Not exactly fair If my response would constantly be 'whatever you say dear', especially when he values my input. He may as well not be in a relationship or you know train a parrot to say 'yes dear' at regular intervals, if i turned submissive.

he would be extremely pissed off, because he would feel that I had disengaged from our life and left all the work for him.

This. Assorted family Stuff left me afraid to point out anything that might annoy anybody with power in my life, because they would of course shoot the messenger. I still remember my husband's shock when he found out that his arachnophobic wife had let a big spider wander around the bedroom all night because he needed his sleep. Then there was the time I "solved" the problem of the grocery budget being too tight by maxing out my own credit card. We had a long talk after that one and he finally got it through to me that if something isn't right, I have to tell him, even if it's something he's not getting right, such as the budget.

i'm pretty sure that my husband would think that all the viewings of "Deadly Woman" that I watch on the ID Channel had something to do with it...and would forever sleep with one eye open

The fundies go on and on about the benefits of submission and how all men want a submissive helpmeet, but I tried to picture what my husband would do if I submitted, and I came up blank. So I called him.

So, what would your partner do?

*This is a joke between us. We pronounce it arrrrrteeeeeeeest. He's a brilliant musician/recording engineer, but as a businessman, he sucks. We ended up having to apologize to the IRS. So I run the business end, and he's the artiste.

What would my husband do if I submitted? Well, it depends on the context. And that's all I'm saying.

In all honesty, if I left my husband in charge of everything, the house would fall down around us, after they shut off the water, the electric and the heat. We'd eat really well, because he loves cooking, but he is just not a detail oriented person. He's smart and talented, but he honestly can't keep track of the day of the week without his scheduling app. "Hey, did you know it's Tuesday?" is something I hear on a regular basis.

That's why I'm not surprised at these fundy stories of people living in falling down shacks, etc., because that's what would happen to us.

He would also be wondering what happened, and would probably insist I get checked out for a possible brain tumor.

Archived