IGNORED

2013 Vision Forum essay contest winners!!!!!!!!

meda

This year's VF catalogue cover featured a forlorn little urchin in a too big hat (apparently Dougie drew inspiration this year from his daddy issues) who has apparently just survived a Hazardous Journey . The essay winners had to write a story from the boy's perspective.

My personal favorite was the honorable mention, titled "When I become a man", in which our pious young hero reflects on a day that included rescuing his little brother Cedrick from a landslide:

"It has been a tough day, but I made it. The Lord has taught me lessons in courage, thankfulness, and the importance of heeding the words of my father. These are lessons that I will not soon forget, and ones that I desire to implement in my life more. I can’t wait to get home and tell mother and the rest of the Lords goodness and the lessons that I have learned."

visionforum.com/browse/2013/default.aspx/#essay1

Do they ever write about ANYTHING else? Wasn't the last essay topic about a boy saving his sister from cougars or some shit?

Guest Anonymous
Are they all written by girls? Ha ha.

Yup, all written by girls, about boys who have survived a hazardous journey. Guess all the boys were busily engaged in sweaty, manly romps this year.

Those were very interesting.

I almost feel guilty snarking on those stories (and I also may need to readjust my definition of "essay" because I'd call those original fiction short stories instead of essay). How old are the people who wrote them? The writing style sort of reminds me of when I was in 5th grade or so and wrote some cutesy Star Trek fanfic.

The one girl pictured looks about 14-15. None of these are notable prose.

Dougie should do SOTDRT a favor and not post shit like that.

Guest Anonymous

Well it wasn't run of the mill VF style stuff.

Possibly worthy of a thread of its own for the eleventy!!1! part courtship story and the photos of the 3-foot courting rule being brandished by the chaperone. :lol:

Possibly worthy of a thread of its own for the eleventy!!1! part courtship story and the photos of the 3-foot courting rule being brandished by the chaperone. :lol:

Good grief. I couldn't read most of it. It seems like they flirted online for a long time and then long distance courted.

They could have lots of fun with that ruler. :teasing-whipblue:

Is she daft? If they are really illegally church planting in the UAE that is not something you blog openly about. She's engaged but calls her parents mommy and daddy. She writes like my 14 year old 8th grader. Niether she nor VF seem to grasp that immature writing does NOT highlight good home education techniques.

What? No essays about the Godly men who gave up their lives so women could live on the Titanic? Considering how obsessed these people are with the ship you'd think at least one essay would have the subject. Even if it was my ancestor Godly And Manly so-and-so died so he could Lady and Feminine so-and-so could live.

Seriously, organizers of the essays, you're letting them slip. :naughty:

Archived