IGNORED

Fundy sex how-to guide for newly married virgins

August

Also, while I knew that I had 3 holes down there, it took me several months of touching myself before I figured out where my vaginal opening was. If you've never touched yourself, you could be clueless as to where exactly the penis is supposed to go. I can certainly see the need for such a guide.

I wasn't raised in a conservative or a religious household, but I seriously could not figure this out for quite awhile after I got my period. I wanted to use tampons but couldn't get the location/angle quite right. I don't remember how long it took me, but it may even have been a couple years.

I did not grow up in a conservative family. But, I lived in a conservative area. The public school sex ed class talked about what to do on a date besides petting your date. I even remember being asked to make a poster that said something along the lines of pet your dog not your date.

My poster got me an F because it said pet your dog kiss with your date :lol: . This was in the late 90's if you can believe it.

I was brought up in an old school Catholic home, and I asked about sex exactly once - and it got me a slap across the face. I honestly and truly did not understand the mechanics and biology of baby making till the age of 17, when I discovered the internet. Till then I thought men peed in women to get them pregnant.

Same with "lady troubles." I had no clue what "period" meant. I lost a friend when I replied "period of what?" when she asked if I had gotten mine.

I got my period the summer 5th grade started. I told my mother that my pants were all bloody, and her reply was simply, "Get a pad and see what happens." Which scared the snot out of me. What was I supposed to see what happened?

Luckily, 5th grade we girls saw the obligatory cartoon video sponsored by Tampax or whoever.

No, and that's the point, a boy from a family that wasn't intentionally keeping him in the dark had missed out on some pretty basic anatomy.

It's not unusual for boys to be surprised to learn that the female urethra and vagina are two different orifices, if that was his question.

My parents told me the details of sex and procreation when I was quite young, but they left out all the stuff about it being fun, so for a long time I thought it was like doing some difficult yoga exercises that were only worth it because you would end up with a baby. A colleg friend of mine had a similar experience, except that her parents were even more clinical, so she assumed it was something that was best done in a hospital setting, under the supervision of a doctor or nurse.

My first boyfriend was raised by helicopter parents before that phrase became popular, and his parents were the type to refuse to sign the permission slip for sex ed, as they were devoutly Catholic. He wasn't even told about erections by his parents, so he once apologized for having them and was shocked when I told him it was a normal biological function.

This reminds me of the old story about John Ruskin, the Victorian art critic: on his wedding night he apparently fled from his bride because he'd only seen nude women in paintings or as statues, and was appalled by the fact his wife had pubic hair. (They eventually annulled the marriage.)

Archived