IGNORED

YLCF Gretchen Reduced To Blogging About Mall Food

Seriously.

[link=http://gretchenlouise.com/2013/03/dear-panda-express/]An entire entry about the wonders of Panda Express.[/link]

PANDA EXPRESS. Where they ate all the time while they were on vacation and all their kids love the food.

I just...what on EARTH would make her think this is compelling blog material? Panda motherfucking Express. Oh Gretchen, how the mighty have fallen.

OMFG. I'm a NYC native, and the FIRST place I was ever taken as an infant (1952) was a Chinese restaurant. The family law was that we ONLY ate in the Chinese restaurants where the Chinese people ate; my grandparents were born in Little Italy, right next to Chinatown.

Grandma and Grandpa are spinning in their graves.

Maybe she's getting a kickback? Bloggers do this all the time, blog about things in exachange for money or free stuff.

I personally think it's nasty even on the scale of mall chinese food.

The family law was that we ONLY ate in the Chinese restaurants where the Chinese people ate; my grandparents were born in Little Italy, right next to Chinatown.

Excellent rule if you live in a diverse urban areas, but in rural areas you aren't likely to find big populations of every minoirty.

Panda Express in the Phoenix metro is almost entirely staffed by teenagers who are either white and/or Latino. It's horrible food. But, then again, it's almost impossible to find "authentic" Chinese food here (not entirely, there are a few places, but you get the gist). But, hell, I totally crave Panda orange chicken now and then.

I am in no way a food snob, and, quite honestly, I would look down on people who judge other people for their food choices well before I would look down on someone because of what they are eating/what they like to eat.

That said, Panda is on my *very* short list of places that I tried once and I will never return to. However, I guess it could be gourmet eats (even cold out of the ice chest?) compared to a bunch of sandwiches made on the road? Maybe?

Guest Anonymous

I looked on the website. It looks like fast food, with drinks served in paper cups. I'm guessing that comparing that to a 'proper' Chinese restaurant is like comparing McDonalds to a steak house. The price would be vastly different, especially since they seemed to be saving coupons and splitting meals between themselves. Also, it would be a much more relaxed place to take kids to eat. I definitely think she is just hoping to blag freebies.

I never knew Panda Express had free-standing restaurants.

The idea of leftover, mall-Chinese food that has been sitting in a cooler for 24 hours is so unappetizing...

I looked on the website. It looks like fast food, with drinks served in paper cups. I'm guessing that comparing that to a 'proper' Chinese restaurant is like comparing McDonalds to a steak house. The price would be vastly different, especially since they seemed to be saving coupons and splitting meals between themselves. Also, it would be a much more relaxed place to take kids to eat. I definitely think she is just hoping to blag freebies.

Panda is definitely fast food. It's actually immediate food, as it is cafeteria style (I think that is what it's called -- where the food is all set out, you order, and the workers dish it up for you.)

Panda Express in the Phoenix metro is almost entirely staffed by teenagers who are either white and/or Latino. It's horrible food. But, then again, it's almost impossible to find "authentic" Chinese food here (not entirely, there are a few places, but you get the gist). But, hell, I totally crave Panda orange chicken now and then.

I am surprised to hear that. Albuquerque has a reasonable number of "authentic" chinese places. We also have some good indian, thai, and vietnamese restaurants. I would have expected Phenix to have more variety because its quite a bit larger.

I am a food snob and I make no apologies. There again I don't force my choices on others who if they want to eat whatever all day long is not my concern. I have yet to find ANY fast food chain restaurant I like enough to visit in anything other than a food emergency :lol:

None of that looks remotely like the Chinese food I am used to.

Yeah, the links to the Panda Express website are kind of unseemly. If not for those, I'd have taken this as an inoffensive (if bland) entry about surface-level family life. The real shame is that Gretchen is capable of much more -- that is, she would be if she were brave enough to take an introspective, questioning stance in her posts.

Archived