IGNORED

Jack Schaap: Megachurch Pastor & Teen Girl - Merged

gustava

While my sister was not sexually abused, she was spiritually, emotionally, and physically abused, and it has taken her YEARS AND YEARS to overcome the harm done to her there.

Apple1, I am super interested in what your sister's experience was, though if you don't wish to elaborate, I completely understand.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• apple1

• doggie

• Anxious Girl

• NotALoserLikeYou

Apple1, I am super interested in what your sister's experience was, though if you don't wish to elaborate, I completely understand.

Not really sure how to explain, but-

The physical abuse consisted of too little food, too little sleep, and too much work (hardly any education) on an ongoing basis. The slave labor of the HAC students kept that church going, in general.

There also was a lot of bullying in that environment ("kick the dog" syndrome, so to speak).

Add the warped view of Christianity, the extreme patriarchal-ism (women are constantly degraded and blamed there), huge emphasis on appearances, etc-

Well, these words don't do justice to the harm that was done, but...

Jack Schaap was sentenced to 12 years this afternoon. (The federal prosecutor's sentencing recommendation was 10 years).

It's not enough, but it is something.

12 years. So just enough time for him to get out and score redemption in fundie circles with books and paid appearances and such before he's too old. Maybe he'll even score another young girl while he's out pandering for forgiveness. Awesome.

• 1 year later...

(The SunTimes is very messed up with regard to reading and sharing links on this story, apparently, but I finally managed to read this. I can't link it to anywhere else).

Wow. No repentance.

I can't understand it, but if he walks, his followers will jump right back behind him.

Aside: And his son is about to start a "church" in my very own community. Gah.

http://teamfaithway.com/januaryfebruary-update/

There were a couple of very uncomfortable men sitting behind that asshole.

This was done at a youth conference, no less.

My sister attended HAC. The perversion and sexual abuse there far predates Schaap and is institutionalized, imo.

Nope, no repentance, just more victim blaming. From the article: "However, Schaap, who is 56, argues that Stracci and Benjamin should have argued that his sentence should be mitigated because the victim had prior sexual experience and what he called her “aggressiveness.â€

Really, Jack? REALLY?? This man is repugnant.

I know what would like to do with that sword.:twisted:

This was done at a youth conference, no less.

My sister attended HAC. The perversion and sexual abuse there far predates Schaap and is institutionalized, imo.

As I posted further back in this thread, my baby sister also attended HAC (only for one semester, thank God - and I don't say that lightly or in jest).

As a matter of fact (and maybe this is partly because HAC/Hyles have spun all around my world historically), I suspect that the damage done by Hyles/HAC and their cult followers exceeds any damage done by Doug Phillips is a Tool. It's just been more hidden from public view IMO.

The steam is coming out my ears this morning, and I have to quit for now.

Zsu's posts about Schaap were right on the money. She said he was always creepy. And her use of the word "pervert" was entirely correct!

To be fair, Zsu calls almost everyone a pervert--she was bound to get it right at some point! Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!

Nope, no repentance, just more victim blaming. From the article: "However, Schaap, who is 56, argues that Stracci and Benjamin should have argued that his sentence should be mitigated because the victim had prior sexual experience and what he called her “aggressiveness.â€

Really, Jack? REALLY?? This man is repugnant.

I want to throw up. That poor girl.

This is my home town. I hope everyone knows that this church community is not a reflection on the greater population of the city. What an embarrassment.

That sermon gave me the shivers. I got really, really bad vibes coming off Schaap, like the whole thing was an acting job that he got off on, seeing how much he could fool the audience into thinking he was a great, saintly leader, but knowing otherwise. That and seeing how much innuendo he could fit into a sermon and have them still follow without question. Sometimes I wonder if these mega church pastors think they ARE God, and that when people come to the alter to pray and worship, they are worshiping them. *shiver*

That sermon gave me the shivers. I got really, really bad vibes coming off Schaap, like the whole thing was an acting job that he got off on, seeing how much he could fool the audience into thinking he was a great, saintly leader, but knowing otherwise. That and seeing how much innuendo he could fit into a sermon and have them still follow without question. Sometimes I wonder if these mega church pastors think they ARE God, and that when people come to the alter to pray and worship, they are worshiping them. *shiver*

I believe after a while, a lot of the Pop Preachers--megachurch, tv, etc, don't really believe in God as much as in increasing their following and their take. If they believed in God, they surely would not choose to abuse his word and his name while fleecing and abusing believers.

I think they play their followers like a piano..... and, while they get off on that, I suspect they have zero respect for their "flocks"

He's seeking a reduced sentence because she was already "damaged goods" so what he did wasn't really THAT bad. :disgust:

It is a really depressing feature of our criminal injustice system that prison rape is so expected that it doesn't even shock us anymore, and in fact has turned into a big joke. It shouldn't happen to ANYONE, not even criminals. Just my 2 cents...

I agree. It really bothers me that some people think being raped in jail or prison is a good thing, if they judge that person's crimes deserving enough. And yet, I do find myself wishing that child abusers could get what they gave.

• 9 months later...
It would take a book to say all that I could say about this guy. But I will just say this. I absolutely LOVE that the federal prosecutor that brought him down is a WOMAN.

I continue to be astonished at the extent of the corruption in that church and the associated schools (elementary, high school, and "college"). FTR, I have a baby sister who went to HAC for ONLY ONE SEMESTER, after being majorly pressured to go there over the strong objections of my very intuitive mother (RIP, Mom). While my sister was not sexually abused, she was spiritually, emotionally, and physically abused, and it has taken her YEARS AND YEARS to overcome the harm done to her there. I realize that FBCHammond and HAC, in spite of their delusions, were nothing outside of their own little self-constructed world. But they were huge in that little world, and they have immensely harmed many people.

Unfortunately I was one of the many that was harmed there. And, even though I've been away from there for 15 years, I'm still trying to heal. The wound was recently reopened by another IFB church & let me tell you.....I will NEVER EVER step foot in a Baptist church again!

Unfortunately I was one of the many that was harmed there. And, even though I've been away from there for 15 years, I'm still trying to heal. The wound was recently reopened by another IFB church & let me tell you.....I will NEVER EVER step foot in a Baptist church again!

I am so sorry these things have happened to you. (((Hugs)))

I'm sorry. I grew up IFB, have been out more than 20 years, and the wounds still feel very raw some days. That kind of damage can take a lifetime of recovery. Learning to trust yourself is one of the hardest tasks, but it sounds like you're on the right track :)

Hugs to you. I know how that feels. I truly do. A couple of years ago I had to go to a certain church for my brother's wedding and I almost had a panic attack.

Recovery is a bitch. *hugs*

I've decided I'm never setting foot in grandma's hate filled church again. She has dementia, so she keeps forgetting this and my explanations, so I've given up trying. Now I just pretend to be sleeping when she calls me.

My nephew and his wife both graduated from Hammond Baptist. I had to sit through a gay bashing sermon at graduation from high school and people not talking to me or my mother in law because we were wearing pants. I don't think either was sexually abused, but some of the stuff that was considered "normal" made us cringe. Like having to go to counseling with Schapp before they were allowed to "date" and then pressure from the church (and my sister in law) to get married.

My sister in law was also a member of this church. She refuses to talk about this incident. They all eventually left. I found out only when she posted a post church pic on Facebook and I did not recognize the church.

• 7 years later...

Isn’t it depressing? I’ve always just hoped Josh gets long enough in prison that Anna can’t have any more kids when he gets out. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2