IGNORED

A.C.E

DarkAnts

The A.C.E. Curriculum consists of several workbooks for each subject (math, English, Science,etc) There are a few pages of text, then a series of questions regarding the text. The student reads the text, then answers the questions. When the book is completed, the student takes an exam over what he/she read. If they pass the test with an 80% or better, they progress to the next workbook. If not, they erase all they have done in the workbook and do it over until they get an 80 or above on the test.

There is an adult supervisor in the room that is not a licensed teacher-she is there to maintain discipline, hand out pencils, listen to Bible passages the students memorize.

For most of the day, the students sit in 'private' cubicles with no interaction with other students. Talking to another student or even turning around is considered 'undisciplined' and is punished (staying after school). There are no class discussions, projects or lab work for science classes like Chemistry or Physics. The students merely read about chemical reactions in the workbook. Most of the day is spent in complete silence.

There is a 30 minute lunch break where students may talk.

The day begins with a chapel service. One hymn is selected each month and that hymn is sung every day for the entire month.

The students are required to memorize Bible passages perfectly. Saying 'to' instead of 'unto' is considered wrong.

I went to an ACE school. It was living nightmare.

This above is correct, but there is so much more. Some ACE schools wore the butt ugly uniforms, others didn't. The school I went to did not. A lot of the rules depended on the church that the school was affiliated. Some schools had rules for how the boys had their hair cut, as in it couldn't touch their ear or collar, and dress codes for girls applied to outside of school as well. I knew some girls at other schools who would get suspended if anyone from their school saw them out and about not wearing a skirt.

The school I went to our skirts had to be just below the knee. If you knelt down your skirt had to touch the floor. Our shirts had to have a collar, sleeves, and not show anything below your collar bone.

The curriculum was terrible. Not only was it re-written Christian history and Young Earth Creationism, it was very racist. It emphasized segregation and taught Apartheid was good for blacks. The PACE's (workbooks) always depicted whites as being good Christians and upstanding citizens and any other race as being the sinful, lost, and unlawful.

Every lesson from English to Science to Social Studies referred to some passage in the KJV Bible.

Yes, it emphasized memorization. (I can still quote whole passage of the Bible from memory.) It is a system set up so that thinking for yourself is not only discouraged, but punished. The goal is not to raise independent people who think for themselves, but to raise soldiers for Christ who listen and follow.

I'm attending college in my 40's. I had to obtain my GED, because no real, accredited college would accept my high school diploma. I had substandard math skills, because I was never taught Algebra correctly and I had to re-learn American history. Trying to learn evolution was difficult for me. I didn't understand a lot of the concepts, so I had to read children's books about evolution, at first, just to get a basic understanding. It took me two years to catch up to where I needed to be in order to take 100 level classes.

• 5 months later...

a christian school i went to for part of fourth and my fifth grade year did a.c.e. they weren't fanatical, just standard girls-wear-skirts kind of thing. but all of the stuff i was doing i had previously done in first and second grade, so our supervisor had to get the high school booklets for me to do.

it was also horrible for me because a.c.e. and adhd don't go very well together. :P

the church school closed at the end of my fifth grade year, because the small church it was based in (that my father was pastor of) couldn't sustain it any longer.

• 1 year later...

I went to an ACE school. It was living nightmare.

This above is correct, but there is so much more. Some ACE schools wore the butt ugly uniforms, others didn't. The school I went to did not. A lot of the rules depended on the church that the school was affiliated. Some schools had rules for how the boys had their hair cut, as in it couldn't touch their ear or collar, and dress codes for girls applied to outside of school as well. I knew some girls at other schools who would get suspended if anyone from their school saw them out and about not wearing a skirt.

The school I went to our skirts had to be just below the knee. If you knelt down your skirt had to touch the floor. Our shirts had to have a collar, sleeves, and not show anything below your collar bone.

The curriculum was terrible. Not only was it re-written Christian history and Young Earth Creationism, it was very racist. It emphasized segregation and taught Apartheid was good for blacks. The PACE's (workbooks) always depicted whites as being good Christians and upstanding citizens and any other race as being the sinful, lost, and unlawful.

Every lesson from English to Science to Social Studies referred to some passage in the KJV Bible.

Yes, it emphasized memorization. (I can still quote whole passage of the Bible from memory.) It is a system set up so that thinking for yourself is not only discouraged, but punished. The goal is not to raise independent people who think for themselves, but to raise soldiers for Christ who listen and follow.

I'm attending college in my 40's. I had to obtain my GED, because no real, accredited college would accept my high school diploma. I had substandard math skills, because I was never taught Algebra correctly and I had to re-learn American history. Trying to learn evolution was difficult for me. I didn't understand a lot of the concepts, so I had to read children's books about evolution, at first, just to get a basic understanding. It took me two years to catch up to where I needed to be in order to take 100 level classes.

OMG, so much all of the above. I went to a cubicle school that used ACE from K-4th grade. Fortunately, I learn well on my own and had actually almost finished the high school levels of everything at that age (shows how much of an education it actually represents). I, too, can still remember huge swaths of the bible, chapters upon chapters word-for-word. Of course the uniforms were dresses/skirts/jumpers, but I grew up in an Apostolic Pentecostal home so I *always* had to wear those, anyway. At least at school I wasn't the only freak.

Archived