IGNORED

37 Percent of People Completely Lost

doggie

Now we know why you can't change a fundies mind. Well most of us knew that anyway. So I wonder who thinks cloud computing involves cloud? I have not heard that one before.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-morf ... 3605527143

Six percent of Americans believe in unicorns. Thirty-six percent believe in UFOs. A whopping 24 percent believe dinosaurs and man hung out together. Eighteen percent still believe the sun revolves around the Earth. Nearly 30 percent believe cloud computing involves... actual clouds. A shockingly sad 18 percent, to this very day, believe the president is a Muslim. Aren't they cute? And Floridian?

Do you believe in angels? Forty-five percent of Americans do. In fact, roughly 48 percent - Republicans and Democrats alike - believe in some form of creationism. A hilariously large percent of terrified right-wingers are convinced Obama is soon going to take away all their guns, so when the Newtown shooting happened and 20 young children were massacred due to America's fetish for, obsession with and addiction to firearms, violence and fear, they bought more bullets. Because obviously.

I read this on SFGate yesterday. I knew about folks believing in angels, unicorns, sun revolves around the Earth etc. but the cloud computing was a new one. Hadn't heard it before but somehow I wasn't surprised either.

One of my thoughts reading the article was 1) you can't fix stupid and 2) you can't change a fundie's mind.

I have in-law relatives who truly believe that the aliens came down and gave the Mayans their knowlege and technology. This was in the run-up to the Mayan calendar brouhaha last year. It was no joke. They also believe in UFOs.

I used to believe in unicorns. When I was FIVE. :roll:

I always wondered why there was no mention of dinosaurs in the bible, if they co-existed with humans.

I always wondered why there was no mention of dinosaurs in the bible, if they co-existed with humans.

A fundie would tell you that there are mentions of "dinosaurs" in the bible, except they were called 'dragons.'

I know way too much about fundie beliefs.

A fundie would tell you that there are mentions of "dinosaurs" in the bible, except they were called 'dragons.'

I know way too much about fundie beliefs.

I still love that episode of the Sopranos where Tony's response to the fundie saying that dinosaurs existed with humans, "You mean like the Flinstones?"

I know a lot of people who believe in angels. My mom is convinced they are real. She swears that she has seen am angel and a ghost before. No, I don't think she's mentally ill. The UFO thing is not too shocking actually nor is man with dinos thanks to moronic creationists pushing their agenda on children as real from day one and making a ridiculous museum out of it, telling them that they'll go to a fiery hell and damnation upon death if they don't believe in creation because not believing in it doesn't make them a real Christian and only real Christians won't have their souls burned forever by Satan.

The unicorn thing though :shock: I thought unicorns were real when I was like four. I also believed a man in a red suit who lived in the North Pole with his reindeer and toy-making elves would slide down my chimney Christmas Eve and leave me presents.

The cloud thing is just :lol: . My grandmother would probably think it had to do with clouds. I wonder the age range of those who thought is had to do with clouds.

I would also like to know instead of people who think their guns will be taken away, how many people still believe Sandy Hook was a government conspiracy?

And a significant minority of Icelanders, otherwise a pretty rational group of folks, believe in elves. So go figure.

What does one expect after 40 years of de-prioritizing education, especially science education, combined with longstanding American anti-intellectualism and the rise of conservative Christian Biblicism? Color me a cynic, but I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher.

When I was four I was 100% convinced that my pregnant mother was going to give birth to the pony that I desperately wanted. No one - not her, my father, nor my grandparents - could divest me of my rock solid belief that my mother would be delivered of my pony. I foretold this event through many crayon drawings and much dinner table prognostication.

The day, the exact same day, my mother went into the hospital, my grandparents' neighbor's fence gave in and some of his ponies wandered on to my grandparents' farm. I wasn't surprised in the least. There was my pony, several of them in fact, just as I had foretold. My only question was where my mother was. Had she dropped the ponies off and gone back to the hospital?

If I had been born into a anti-intellectual fundie family, I could this very day be celebrated as a prophetess.

(And for the record, words cannot describe my complete and utter devastation when my grandpa told me he had to take the ponies back to their owner. I have clear memories of my hysterical four-year-old self clinging to my grandpa's pant leg and begging him to let me keep at least one of those animals.)

Cloud computing? Somebody needs to ask that question to their good 'ol friend Google.....LOL!

Cloud computing? Somebody needs to ask that question to their good 'ol friend Google.....LOL!

I can somewhat see that with people that don't know anything about computers.

True, but there a commercials about....wait never mind. Fundies don't have tvs. My bad.

Well, I've seen people with all kinds of weird beliefs. The UFO thing is not surprising. I had a physics professor who felt so passionate about the existence of UFOs that he incorporated it into his lectures until the administrators told him to stop. I saw an article in the papers later on that he believed aliens was regularly visiting earth to study humans. He was a great professor.

I'm more saddened that almost 1/5th of Americans think our president is a Muslim....and you know it's not the 1/5th that actually likes Muslims! The dinosaur thing, not surprising. We are a nation where about 40% believe the earth was created in 6000 years and Adam was created from mud and Eve from Adam's ribs. Oh fundies...if you only know what's actually taught in college.....

Well we actually have a lot of unicorns in Ireland. The leprechauns ride them to the end of the rainbow to collect their pots of gold. It's actually really busy right now for St Patrick's weekend. As I look out the window there are unicorns just trotting along my street. Getting exercised for the parade I suppose.

Well, I've seen people with all kinds of weird beliefs. The UFO thing is not surprising. I had a physics professor who felt so passionate about the existence of UFOs that he incorporated it into his lectures until the administrators told him to stop. I saw an article in the papers later on that he believed aliens was regularly visiting earth to study humans. He was a great professor.

/quote]

I think we had the same professor :lol: Mine belonged to a UFO chasing club and used to wear their t shirts/ hoodies all the time. Personally I found it endearing.

These findings are worrying. 1/5 Americans believe Obama is a muslim? Ayee...now I'm wondering what percentage of Australians believe the same thing. Sadly I think the number would be similar.

I have to wonder what percentage of the respondents were trolling the surveyors. I'd be awfully tempted if some random pollster called me up and wanted to know if I believed in unicorns :whistle:

I have to wonder what percentage of the respondents were trolling the surveyors. I'd be awfully tempted if some random pollster called me up and wanted to know if I believed in unicorns :whistle:

Yup. I'd be all over having some fun with someone who wanted to know my beliefs on unicorns, aliens and elves (Oh My). :) I spent many hours carpooling to work with a guy who believed in the whole alien/Mayan thing. I learned a lot from him! :D

Considering the number of people who think New Mexico is a part of Mexico and Hawaii is in the Caribbean, I can't say I'm surprised.

As for the belief in angels, does anyone but atheists read the bible? Angels are described as many things and all of them are terrifying. Angels are said to have done many things and most of them are terrifying. How that got turned into pretty androgynous men with big wings protecting (some) people from minor accidents and letdowns, I have no idea.

Well we actually have a lot of unicorns in Ireland. The leprechauns ride them to the end of the rainbow to collect their pots of gold. It's actually really busy right now for St Patrick's weekend. As I look out the window there are unicorns just trotting along my street. Getting exercised for the parade I suppose.

When I was really little I'd ask my gram if we could go back to Ireland to watch the leprechauns. It was one of my dad's favorite stories to tell us all as kids. When HE was a little boy in Ireland he'd tricked a leprechaun into giving him the gold by being more clever than he. He used to always say "Grow up to be smarter than the leprechaun". Sadly one of the sayings I'll probably use on my kids, despite them not knowing my roots and them not being of Irish decent (probably!). Then again, because of this story, I was the kid who at the St. Patrick's day parade in town went up to a person with drawfism (not sure the PC term... not trying to offend anyone!) and swore he was dad's leprechaun to the point of embarrassment to my parents and good spanking when we found some place private. Ahh childhood. :dance:

I have in-law relatives who truly believe that the aliens came down and gave the Mayans their knowlege and technology. This was in the run-up to the Mayan calendar brouhaha last year. It was no joke. They also believe in UFOs.

Many people down in Mexico have similar beliefs and some actually believe that the Mayans and Aztecs were descendants of aliens.

Don't worry, Ken Ham will tell you which verses in the bible are *actually* references to dinosaurs (despite not really saying that at all).

He preaches that bullshit to kids.

I've been through this crap before with mormons. The book of mormon says there were horses and elephants and steel in places/times where they really couldn't have been. Fundies have horrible excuses like "horses" really meant "tapirs" (yeah seriously). This is in reference to a book written in english, and not very long ago. Christian fundies will excuse a lot more for a book that is more than a thousand years old that has been translated multiple times.

Archived