IGNORED

Josh Duggar Has a New Job?

weiwei

Take this movement seriously people. Their goal is "dominion"--to put in place a theocracy in the USA. They ARE making huge in-roads into even many former moderate churches. They have hijacked the homeschool movement in many, if not, most states allowing their agenda to reach people who would never have heard of it had it not been for wanting to attend a curriculum fair or similar event.

Those of you in large cities or university towns may laugh. Those of us living in the midwest see all too much of this and they get a great influence each year.

And:

1. Josh has been raised to go into politics.

2. There is an ever-growing voting block of people who, while maybe not choosing the Duggar's exact lifestyle, have a ton of sympathy for it.

3. People are sick of over-paid, over-educated Congress.

4. Jim Bob is not as dumb as some people on this board think. He is a very savvy real estate investor.

5. Josh is not going to be a threat to any staffer--it is his name and the organization his family represents, the lifestyle, the beliefs that he is hired for just like any other lobbyist.

His instagram has been showing him at political stuff for a while now. I'm happy he and Anna can have a life of their own. I'm sure the family can easily buy them somewhere really nice to live, too.

I agree, it seems like while the Duggars might not have read 1984 or The Handmaid's Tale, they do agree with the idea of those being how-to books since they really do want to make the US into a theocracy. Personally, I live just north of the reddest county in a blue state, and at least one of their Congress representatives was a nut long before the Tea Party.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take this movement seriously people. Their goal is "dominion"--to put in place a theocracy in the USA. They ARE making huge in-roads into even many former moderate churches. They have hijacked the homeschool movement in many, if not, most states allowing their agenda to reach people who would never have heard of it had it not been for wanting to attend a curriculum fair or similar event.

Those of you in large cities or university towns may laugh. Those of us living in the midwest see all too much of this and they get a great influence each year.

And:

1. Josh has been raised to go into politics. True dat.

2. There is an ever-growing voting block of people who, while maybe not choosing the Duggar's exact lifestyle, have a ton of sympathy for it. Ever-growing, maybe, but not likely to over-take. The country is becoming more progressive in general and what you're seeing is the reaction to this.

3. People are sick of over-paid, over-educated Congress. Over-educated? Do they really believe we'd be better off with uneducated or under-educated people? That's scary.

4. Jim Bob is not as dumb as some people on this board think. He is a very savvy real estate investor. I'm not so sure he's the saavy one. Maytag Mary gets my vote here. Luck and good timing also play a big role in making money in RE.

5. Josh is not going to be a threat to any staffer--it is his name and the organization his family represents, the lifestyle, the beliefs that he is hired for just like any other lobbyist. Agree.

His instagram has been showing him at political stuff for a while now. I'm happy he and Anna can have a life of their own. I'm sure the family can easily buy them somewhere really nice to live, too. Nice enough probably, but not "really nice" even by Josh's standards. As others have explained, the cost of living anywhere within commuting distance of DC is astronomical, and Boob has 18 more at home.

He will fit in with that kind of organization but even if he is surrounded by like-mind folks in his work environment, there will be day to day interactions with people not like him. Such as with neighbors, parents of other kids who befriend his kids, people from other political groups, protesters etc. He's going to be a fish out of water in a lot of situations. This is not living in NW AR.

Yes, I'm not an idiot and I realize that. I was specifically referring to his work environment.

I for one hope he will benefit from the experience of living somewhere totally different. Smuggar will hardly be the first person in history to ever make such a move. I'm sure his pride will take a licking, but still, being somewhere where he can't avoid being around people from all over the political spectrum could be a wonderful thing, especially for Anna and the kids.

There are many many pro life christian groups in dc he could work at. I'm betting he'll end up at a shadowy koch backed group where his job will be to show up at cocktail parties and pick up the checks.

Some of the comments to the Radar Online story are just too sad. Some people really believe Jinger could escape if she wanted to and her parents have no control over her after the age of 18. They just don't seem to understand the cult like reality of their religion. I wish some really good journalist would sit down with Jim Bob and Michelle and nail them with some hard hitting questions and expose them. I really do hope TLC throws them under the bus in the end.

Yes, I'm not an idiot and I realize that. I was specifically referring to his work environment.

I for one hope he will benefit from the experience of living somewhere totally different. Smuggar will hardly be the first person in history to ever make such a move. I'm sure his pride will take a licking, but still, being somewhere where he can't avoid being around people from all over the political spectrum could be a wonderful thing, especially for Anna and the kids.

My apologies for any misunderstanding but I did think you were referring to his work environment and I was agreeing with you that he will fit in. I was just pointing out he's moving to an area whose population is much more diverse area than what he's used to. He's going to have exposure to lots of different people simply by living there and it's going to be an adjustment. Hopefully for the good, but it's going to be a big change for him nonetheless.

ETA: It was not a criticism. I thought I was just adding to your point.

Some of the comments to the Radar Online story are just too sad. Some people really believe Jinger could escape if she wanted to and her parents have no control over her after the age of 18. They just don't seem to understand the cult like reality of their religion. I wish some really good journalist would sit down with Jim Bob and Michelle and nail them with some hard hitting questions and expose them. I really do hope TLC throws them under the bus in the end.

Usually the people who make those kinds of comments are dim bulbs who don't scratch the surface when it comes to the Duggars. I have seen leghumpers on other sites claim that the J'Slaves choose to remain living at the TTH. The people here at FJ and other sites who have researched ATI/Gothardism have figured out the Duggars. I've said this before, there are different factions in the Duggar fanbase. There are fundie fans of the show who are fully aware of what the Duggars do and believe. Then there is the faction of non-fundie types who are very clueless about the dark side of the Duggars. The clueless faction includes people from different backgrounds even liberals and atheists. The clueless faction hasn't done their research on quiverull or ATI/Gothardism. I liked the Duggars when their pre-show documentaries aired in the 2000s. But when their regular show started in 2008, something just seemed off with them. I started researching quiverfull lifestyles and I learned a lot from No Longer Quivering and later on I found about FJ where I've learned more.

I think TLC and the Duggars have been a bit careful when it comes to talking about their affliations with Gothard/ATI. They have only mentioned Gothard once or twice on the show. When the Duggars do interviews, it is pretty obvious that some that questions are pre-screened and their apperances on GMA, Today, etc are always set up to be fluff pieces in which the "nice cute large family" talks about how life is in their home. I don't think the Duggars will ever be directly exposed in mainstream interviews. I can see the Duggars being exposed for their beliefs, if Gothard or ATI is exposed to the mainstream media. There are a couple of ex-ATI blogs around and I'm sure that somewhere out there some ex Gothard follower is somehow planning to expose good ole' Bill. If Bill gets exposed, the Duggars and Bateses will be exposed due to their associations and the fact that they are celebs in ATI land.

And:

1. Josh has been raised to go into politics.

2. There is an ever-growing voting block of people who, while maybe not choosing the Duggars' exact lifestyle, have a ton of sympathy for it.

3. People are sick of over-paid, over-educated Congress.

4. Jim Bob is not as dumb as some people on this board think. He is a very savvy real estate investor.

5. Josh is not going to be a threat to any staffer--it is his name and the organization his family represents, the lifestyle, the beliefs that he is hired for just like any other lobbyist.

His instagram has been showing him at political stuff for a while now.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, times a million. I live in a blue-collar Connecticut town. It's a blue state containing many red and purplish dots. Falwell's organization has already made inroads here--his "New Life" Church has assimilated at least one of the mainstream Baptist churches here in town, and has bought an enormous recreation venue to serve as its main campus. Its pastor Will Marotti, until last year, was a regular participant on the right-wing local radio show "State and Church", hosted by John Rowland, the Connecticut governor who was forced to resign in 2004 because of corruption, and to whom Marotti "ministered" while Rowland spent time in the slammer. Rowland is a smug bitch who has never apologized or even fully acknowledged the wrong that he did. (He's done the usual "Oh, it's so easy for ANYONE to get caught up in the power thing" fake-admission. His first wife was the best friend of my daughter's cheerleading coach, and it's common knowledge that he committed domestic violence, which got hushed up--the cops sent to investigate mysteriously got huge promotions and the charges disappeared.) Please, everybody: read Jeff Sharlet's book The Family, which goes into depth about the deep interconnection between right-wing politics and ultraconservative religion in this country.

There are already at least two Young-Earth Creationist Baptist churches within a few miles of my house. And this is Connecticut. Yes, the country may well be slowly turning a *bit* more socially liberal overall, but the fundies have their claws in the very heart of our nation's government, and must not be ignored.

I think Josh will be fine. The laziness with the car lot is just that he has no interest in that work. He has always been more interested in campaigns and lobbying. He'll be more motivated to put in the effort and get places on time.

I agree that he'll realize people need education to succeed. I predict his kids will go to Patrick Henry and maybe participate in the Patrick Henry distance learning classes for high school too.

About his skills: Josh is not camera-shy and he's able to stay on message without mumbling or trailing off. That's a huge part of media relations. Obviously he's not qualified to do legislative research or anything requiring a high level of knowledge. But he could do PR, absolutely.

Yes, times a million. I live in a blue-collar Connecticut town. It's a blue state containing many red and purplish dots. Falwell's organization has already made inroads here--his "New Life" Church has assimilated at least one of the mainstream Baptist churches here in town, and has bought an enormous recreation venue to serve as its main campus. Its pastor Will Marotti, until last year, was a regular participant on the right-wing local radio show "State and Church", hosted by John Rowland, the Connecticut governor who was forced to resign in 2004 because of corruption, and to whom Marotti "ministered" while Rowland spent time in the slammer. Rowland is a smug bitch who has never apologized or even fully acknowledged the wrong that he did. (He's done the usual "Oh, it's so easy for ANYONE to get caught up in the power thing" fake-admission. His first wife was the best friend of my daughter's cheerleading coach, and it's common knowledge that he committed domestic violence, which got hushed up--the cops sent to investigate mysteriously got huge promotions and the charges disappeared.) Please, everybody: read Jeff Sharlet's book The Family, which goes into depth about the deep interconnection between right-wing politics and ultraconservative religion in this country.

There are already at least two Young-Earth Creationist Baptist churches within a few miles of my house. And this is Connecticut. Yes, the country may well be slowly turning a *bit* more socially liberal overall, but the fundies have their claws in the very heart of our nation's government, and must not be ignored.

Thank you. I am wholly concerned, because among my inlaws are relatively successful politicos in my state and my state is owned by Koch and Brownback , who has ties also with the Family, is their stooge. And we get more and more red each year.

I don't think "getting into politics" and "getting away from his parents" are mutually exclusive. Obviously, he is a one-issue voter and campaigner, and he will do more of the same in DC. I think whoever said he would be more motivated in this kind of position is right - he's always been more comfortable hobnobbing than doing paperwork. I think he'll be okay.

Likewise, no matter what they say to Jim Bob and Michelle, Josh and Anna are going to be able to do their own thing in DC. They won't have anyone to check on them that they're still following "their" convictions. I think they will always be quiver full, and always nominally follow ATI, but I predict more tv, less strict skirt rules, straighter hair. When they don't have to be accountable to be their parents every single day, they will get lazy in their expression of faith, and then in their faith. It's inevitable in the hustle of a place like DC. You simply don't have time to be too weird or overanalyze every little decision.

I see this as the fundie equivalent of the "hug and roll". Yes, they're talking the good talk now about taking fundamentalism to DC, but once they're there and have a taste of freedom, I see little of it sticking to them. Only to the extent that all the conservative southerners do.

Also: I too, don't see the Dominionists as a threat, but a reactionary movement. If fascism comes to America, it will be solidly centrist.

Oh man, the pop culture section of the Smithsonian was my favorite. Archie Bunker's chair, Fonzie's jacket, Ric Flair's costume, the Muppets . . . the Duggars probably wouldn't even recognize Dorothy's ruby slippers. Can't have them watching a movie with witches and a strong female protagonist.

And who also hung out with three men without supervision! Scandalous!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I grew up in DC and just south in pressure-cooker Northern Virginia. If your parents didn't at least have their Master's in their field of choice, you were sort of blue-collar as far as social status. DC tends to attract type-A, best-and-brightest types.

I think this depends on what you're doing. Obviously this is far from Smuggles' area of expertise, but my husband's father and husband both work in IT at government contractors near DC, with, respectively, zero and two years of college and no final degree. IT is a bitt less strict than a lot of other areas, though- but a lot of other areas will also gladly accept folks with zero higher ed and a military background.

My FIL had a pretty serious Navy career until he hurt his knee badly while off-duty, and my husband kind of got the in by working with his dad for a few summers and after HS. IF you are willing to put in the effort and actually work (not a question for us non-fundie types, but.. you know. It Had To Be Said), plenty of agencies will be oka with you.

eta: I do, however, agree with previous posts saying DC is not for the simpering or gutless- I highly doubt Smugs would get anything more than a Junior Junior level position. A token.

I also don't see Anna fitting in with the yummy mummies who are local- even the Evangelicals here are more evangel-lites. Also, the only way I see them finding housing they'd consider appropriate is to move to the ass end of Manassas (2 hr+ commute each way), or way, WAY the fark out in Loudoun- if they go for VA. I can't see them being happy being in DC, as it's an area that is primarily populated by racial minorities, unless you go for the million-dollar-homes areas like Georgetown.

Though I do live two blocks from one of the the major shopping destinations of NoVA. The sighting potential is ridiculous.

My guess is that he was hired by some Conservative lobbying group. Maybe Rick Santorum's new organization. No doubt he will be amongst like-minded people but he may face way more temptation than he has when attached at the hip to Pa Duggar and the Duggar Clan.

I also wonder how Josh and Anna will adjust in D.C. It's one of the most expensive areas to live, and a far, far cry from their rural AK home. It will also be the first time Anna and Josh are far away from any family. I think Anna will do ok with caring for three young kids. Many women do it these days. Anna has been trained to be homemaker all her life. Surely, she would know how to adjust to being the sole caretaker of three kids?

As for Josh....I think DC will open his eyes. He may be working for some religious conservative org, but he'll still bump into situations that he would otherwise never encounter. I actually think the more expensive housing will be a GOOD thing. It may discourage them from having more kids, or at least sympathize with those that space their kids out. The thing is, it's easy for fundies living in rural buttfuck nowhere to say having a ton of kids is ok. Most people, when faced with cramped homes, are not as sanguine about it. Plus, in expensive areas like DC, fundies like Josh may finally realize the PRACTICAL reasons for why people delay childbirth, go to college, have small families. I mean, may people do this because they can't raise a family any other way.

I hope Josh and Anna get exposed to different ways of life, different beliefs, and start to edge closer to fundie-lite. I know many don't have high hopes for Josh and Anna...but I think people can change, and will change when given new ideas. Josh and Anna has never gotten the chance to open their minds. Maybe time away from their homes will provide them with that exposure.

I get up a little after 6 AM for my commuter train ride into DC everyday. [believe me, it beats the hell out of driving--even if I had free parking, which I don't] Hope Joshie is looking forward to early mornings. I predict lots of Instagram pics of giant coffee cups. And endless bitching about the prices here.

I think a 9-5 office job will be a real eye-opener for him. But I agree that his heart really hasn't been in the car lot thing. Maybe he has more of a work ethic that we realize, if he's doing something that he likes.

It would be amazing to see him working on Capitol Hill. Sometimes you feel like you are surrounded by thousands of former student body presidents, head cheerleaders and valedictorians when you walk the halls of Congressional buildings.

I don't have much hope of them moving near me in Howard County, Maryland--I agree that they will probably live in Virginia. Maryland is probably waay too liberal for them--and too chock full of minorities as well. Most of our Republicans are barely Republican, in the eyes of people like Josh.

I think Anna might get very lonely, in a strange new place, with Josh away from dawn till dusk. I actually hope a J'Slave comes along for the ride, to both get a little freedom & to keep Anna company.

YPestis makes excellent points about expensive housing being a possible good thing for Josh and Anna. I'd add that perhaps extreme traffic congestion (and higher gas prices!) might be a "teachable moment" for them as well--showing them it is a pain in the ass to park (and fill up) a Hummer in DC, let along a big quiverful passenger van.

Yeah - I can see some conservative lobbyist group trying to capitalize on Josh's "celebrity". I'll be curious to see how long he lasts once his work ethic, edjumacation and personal charm become apparent. This move probably means Anna will be steadily churning out a kid every year or so for the foreseeable future to prove their "pro-life" values. I do think DC could be an eye-opener in terms of how people who weren't raised on a tinker toy compound live. Anna better be on the lookout: lots of high-class hookers are working the Hill. Probably some cheap ones, too. Not to mention all the defrauding knees and cleavage on display every day, right there in broad daylight on the Capitol grounds.

He will fit in with that kind of organization but even if he is surrounded by like-mind folks in his work environment, there will be day to day interactions with people not like him. Such as with neighbors, parents of other kids who befriend his kids, people from other political groups, protesters etc. He's going to be a fish out of water in a lot of situations. This is not living in NW AR.

Not only that, but Josh doesn't take kindly to not being the smartest guy in the room. I guarantee that even at FRC, EVERYONE in the room will be smarter than him. Without critical thinking skills, he's not going to be of any intellectual value to them, and given the Duggars' dwindling popularity, won't be much display value either.

I also wonder how Josh and Anna will adjust in D.C. It's one of the most expensive areas to live, and a far, far cry from their rural AK home. It will also be the first time Anna and Josh are far away from any family. I think Anna will do ok with caring for three young kids. Many women do it these days. Anna has been trained to be homemaker all her life. Surely, she would know how to adjust to being the sole caretaker of three kids?

As for Josh....I think DC will open his eyes. He may be working for some religious conservative org, but he'll still bump into situations that he would otherwise never encounter. I actually think the more expensive housing will be a GOOD thing. It may discourage them from having more kids, or at least sympathize with those that space their kids out. The thing is, it's easy for fundies living in rural buttfuck nowhere to say having a ton of kids is ok. Most people, when faced with cramped homes, are not as sanguine about it. Plus, in expensive areas like DC, fundies like Josh may finally realize the PRACTICAL reasons for why people delay childbirth, go to college, have small families. I mean, may people do this because they can't raise a family any other way.

I hope Josh and Anna get exposed to different ways of life, different beliefs, and start to edge closer to fundie-lite. I know many don't have high hopes for Josh and Anna...but I think people can change, and will change when given new ideas. Josh and Anna has never gotten the chance to open their minds. Maybe time away from their homes will provide them with that exposure.

Yes, all of this! "19 Kids" has been on the air for years, but in my mind, the real drama--the one that Jim-Bob would never allow on camera--will happen as the kids begin to make their own way in the world. I can't imagine that some of them won't eventually try to break free, to a greater or lesser extent. I'm sure Jim-Bob and Michelle know, at least on some level, that their days of absolute control over their kids are numbered, which may be why Michelle is so anxious to "correct" Jinger's "out-of-line" statement about wanting to live in the city. The parents are really grasping at straws here.

Wait! They have 20 acres and buy canned vegetables? They must have been having sweet fellowship when God was passing out brains.

I wonder if it has anything to do with living adjacent to a dump?

Um, Michelle, if that's what Jinger meant, why don't you just let her explain herself? She may not want to move to NYC-it would be a massive change from what she's used to, and it's super expensive. But I don't believe for a minute that she wants to live slightly closer to Walmart either.

M is also quoted as saying:

“New York City is way above what we would ever consider a city where she should move!â€

None of your freaking business, Michele. I can relate to such strict, busybody, overprotective, ridiculous parenting.

M is also quoted as saying:

“New York City is way above what we would ever consider a city where she should move!â€

None of your freaking business, Michele. I can relate to such strict, busybody, overprotective, ridiculous parenting.

Michelle, you're so full of shit I find myself surprised that your eyes are blue, not brown.

His job may be related to LifeUnited.org, the website/coalition his family helped create (Duggar Family Blog, 1/25/13). I also think that he'd probably move to No. VA vs. Maryland since it's somewhat more conservative and there is a fundie presence.

Everything you said is true. You must live very close by me! I've noticed quite a few fundys walking around BJ's lately. One of the Baptist churches(hint hosting the Maxwells) has actually come door to door in my neighborhood recruiting.

Michelle, you're so full of shit I find myself surprised that your eyes are blue, not brown.

So, considering that AR has got to be the Walmart capital of the world, I decided to map it. THEY ALREADY LIVE 15 minutes from Walmart.

Full of shit, indeed :|

Archived