IGNORED

Felt Is My Thing - Hair Clippies

PhiMuLady

I started out making bows for my daughter, but the majority of them should be posted in the Shit I Fucked Up forum. :mrgreen:

I found my groove doing things in felt, like hair clips - super quick to make, can match any of her gazillion outfits, and can be mixed and matched on headbands and such. I've even made a few of them bigger (palm-sized) and put on pins to clip to my tote bags and to hold scarves.

I haven't sold any through my Etsy shop yet, but local facebook friends seem to like them.

t53dr9.jpg

34pgn5l.jpg

34ookth.jpg

9kunbt.jpg

21ykd0.jpg

111r1mo.jpg

These are the only ribbon creations I've done successfully:

35avgno.jpg

Those are really nice. You clearly have a knack for these. And your daughter must have a lot of fun wearing them, too.

This may be a really stupid question, but are the ribbon ones made out of silk ribbon? They look like they are. I entertained doing silk ribbon stuff but never followed through.

Thanks! The ribbon ones are actually made out of grosgrain ribbon, which is stiffer and holds its shape. I have tried with silk/satin ribbon before and it is just too soft.

OK so it was indeed grosgrain ribbon! I thought that too, but figured nah, the grosgrain might be too stiff plus silk does have a similar texture.

Hope that you get some sales on Etsy. I am considering opening a shop to sell some of my frou-frou knitted scarves which I will post on the completed projects forum Signed up four years ago but never took the additional steps to open a shop yet. Now I am finally going to do this and see how goes.

Wow. Those are amazing!

Do. not. need. another. hobby. Must. resist.

I love the itty bitty flower ones. So cute :)

have you ever made any smallish butterflies? *hint hint*

What kind of clips do the small ones use. Would they work in shortish dog fur? All the cute dog bows I've found use the rubber band to hold them on and my girls don't really have that much hair on their heads to do the rubber band thing without it being painful (I imagine) for them. I've been looking for small ones with clips for ages.

Yes, I *am* that dog person, why do you ask? (in my defense my adult chi is a total diva and gets angry and pouts if she is not dressed at nearly all times)

Eeeeeeeeee! I love the owl and the birdie! I make felties like that.

Wow. Those are amazing!

Do. not. need. another. hobby. Must. resist.

I love the itty bitty flower ones. So cute :)

have you ever made any smallish butterflies? *hint hint*

What kind of clips do the small ones use. Would they work in shortish dog fur? All the cute dog bows I've found use the rubber band to hold them on and my girls don't really have that much hair on their heads to do the rubber band thing without it being painful (I imagine) for them. I've been looking for small ones with clips for ages.

Yes, I *am* that dog person, why do you ask? (in my defense my adult chi is a total diva and gets angry and pouts if she is not dressed at nearly all times)

I have made butterflies before, they are this pattern:

WATERMELONkanbutterfly.jpg

The small ones I put on 1.5" alligator clips. I have seen teeny tiny snap clips like these that come in a 3/4" to 1" size that are used for babies with very little hair - these clips will hold just a few strands of hair no matter how short:

Product_72020130225053355.JPEG

Children's boutique stores usually carry the teeny tiny ones.

I have made butterflies before, they are this pattern:

WATERMELONkanbutterfly.jpg

The small ones I put on 1.5" alligator clips. I have seen teeny tiny snap clips like these that come in a 3/4" to 1" size that are used for babies with very little hair - these clips will hold just a few strands of hair no matter how short:

Product_72020130225053355.JPEG

Children's boutique stores usually carry the teeny tiny ones.

I sent you a PM :)

Oh my gosh, those little flowers are beautiful! I didn't even know you could do that with felt!

• 3 months later...

I love the owls. I have never tried working with felt, even though I love hair clips made with them. I stick with ribbon, I can make cute ribbon sculptures, but cannot make a bow to save my life.

• 2 weeks later...
I was getting into making felt play food for a while. It is a bit less practical but very aesthetically amusing

Zsuzsanna was making some great felt food for a while, and posted links to patterns. If my kids were still toddlers I'd love to do it, it looks great and there are heaps of different patterns.

To the OP - your creations are gorgeous.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived