IGNORED

Head Trauma = No big deal when you've got souls to worry

Koala

I let my children play with matches because I played with matches as a kid and I turned out just fine. Sure we had a couple of little fires but nothing to write home about. Kids used to play with matches all the time. They had candles in their rooms and fires in the fireplace with no guard. What has changed over the past 100 years to suddenly make fire unsafe? We only play with matches as a family so it's totally safe.

It's the moral decline of America. Along with lead paint and things like sunblock. When my mom was a child lead paint was safe and getting blistering sunburns were no biggie. It it wasn't dangerous back then, then it isn't dangerous now, right?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad is a brain injury rehab doctor. There is no way not wearing a helmet or not wearing a seatbelt is worth the risk of a traumatic brain injury. It's not like breaking an arm and most of the time it will heal back perfectly. Recovering from a TBI can be a grueling process and sometimes complete recovery never happens. And because your brain controls everything in your body, there's really no limit to the types of symptoms you can develop. No thanks.

Ladies, bike helmets are great and there is no doubt that they save lives.

It's true, we don't require our children to wear bike helmets. Why? There's no real reason behind it, we just don't.

For those following so far, I think this sums it up nicely. Sure bike helmets save lives, but she doesn't make her kids wear them. No real reason, she just doesn't.

No matter how safely you ride and really know the real rules of the road shit happens. It does not take munch ether a small tap with a car can really be bad. I was riding along not too fast when car t boned me and it was slow I had my brakes on and so did she. but it knocked the bike out from under me and my helmeted head bounced off the pavement. I was riding safely in the middle of the day.

But these fools depend on god protecting them as of course they are fools. A family group is more likely to be safe then a single rider.

No matter how safely you ride and really know the real rules of the road shit happens. It does not take munch ether a small tap with a car can really be bad. I was riding along not too fast when car t boned me and it was slow I had my brakes on and so did she. but it knocked the bike out from under me and my helmeted head bounced off the pavement. I was riding safely in the middle of the day.

But these fools depend on god protecting them as of course they are fools. A family group is more likely to be safe then a single rider.

Exactly. I saw a bike hit a car. The car was stopped in the Post Office driveway waiting to pull out into traffic. The bike rider came cruising down the sidewalk (at a normal pace, not exceptionally fast) and hit the car. He went somersaulting over the hood with his bike behind him and wound up on the ground tangled with the bike. I credit the helmet with the reason he was able to get up and wheel his bike away rather than take a trip in an ambulance.

Now before you call CPS, did you wear a helmet when you were a child? No you didn't and you're alive to tell about it.

That's such idiotic logic, and I hear it far more often than I should. Not everyone is alive to tell about it, and they aren't around to respond to this drivel.

As the mother of a child who lived through a horrific car accident because of a 20$ helmet- I have an overwhelming desire to shake her. Joe was 10- he was a block form our home, on the SIDEWALK when a college student in a suburban lost control and hit him- he went unto the hood and then after he was thrown his femur was driven over and crushed. Nine hours of surgery having his femur reconstructed. Two weeks in intensive care and a year of physical therapy He did receive a head injury which will dog him all of his life(he is in college now- but still struggles) he received a skull fracture through the helmet. He absolutely would have died without the helmet. His knowledge of bike safety did nothing to help him. She is a moron.

What does she even mean by she teaches her kids bike safety? If she's got some foolproof lesson on how to never, ever fall off a bike she really needs to share. She could make millions. Maybe someone should tell her that if she lines the helmets with tinfoil all ungodly influences will be blocked. Those kids would have those things on at all times!

I consider myself pretty relaxed as a parent. Go ahead, climb trees, fall down, play sports and get bruised up a little. If it's broken, concussed or bleeding like MT. Vesuvius we'll go to the doctor, otherwise a bandaid, ice pack and some sympathy will do just fine. I'm not bubblewrapping my kid, but for damn sure he's wearing a seatbelt and a bike helmet. You know, commonsense precautions.

How to ride properly in traffic, I presume? How to properly take the lane and negotiate turns? That sort of thing? Never ride on the sidewalk (for commuting involving crossing any streets) because it's dangerous? Why "always stay all the way to the right next to the curb always always always" is wrong?

That said, you should learn all of the above AND wear a helmet!!! Even small odds are terrible when they hit YOU, and the "sacrifice" to improve your odds in this case are just so easy.

That's such idiotic logic, and I hear it far more often than I should. Not everyone is alive to tell about it, and they aren't around to respond to this drivel.

It's just one more example of a fundamental lack of understanding of certain kinds of math and probability. The entire "given that I am looking back from where I am today" clause gets dropped, every time. It's the same error that leads people to say things like "what are the odds that the earth would be perfectly adapted for life? God MUST have planned it all!"

I thought the comment about seat belts, asking people who say "but I never used them..." if they were ever in a wreck, was brilliant.

Also one big thing that has changed in the last 30 years with regard to drivers? CELL PHONES.

As someone who worked for years in a paediatric trauma hospital I have seen the consequences of head trauma. Kendall is right about one thing - severe head trauma/death is not common BUT if it happens to your child the consequences are devastating AND we have a simple, cost effective, no side effect (other than hat hair) preventative tool (helmets). I hope that her children never have a head trauma but if they do I hope that Kendall re reads this post over and over and reminds herself daily that there was a simple and easy prevention and she choose not to use it. She'll get to see how much fun living with that guilt is.

Couple things: Idk how old Kendall is but I'm nearing 30 and I *always* wore a helmet as a kid for biking, roller skating, and roller blading. I don't think it was a state law then. My mom was protective, sure, but these things also make common sense. 2nd, in our tiny neighborhood, which was basically one block of houses surround by four streets, two of the streets were gravel and the others had pretty steep hills. I had several bad bike accidents that involved nothing more than me, speed, and either the gravel, a hill, or both. No angry motorists honing in on children, moral declines of America, or anything else. Just accidents. I still have scars from one of the worst ones, but I'm not sure where I'd be if I hadn't had my helmet on since I landed on my side and the bike dragged my body (mostly my head) along the road for a bit before it all stopped. So take that, Kendall.

This just makes me so sad. I'm sure this is another one of Mr. Kendal's brilliant ideas. And I bet they are so smug and satisfied that they are so "controversial."

I really don't want them to adopt a baby. Several posts back, Kendal mentioned that she assumed, for several undisclosed reasons, that their adoption would be complete by now. Does anyone know why one would assume that? I am ignorant about the adoption process. I always assumed it could take one year or several years?

The rage. I have two parents with head injuries. Mum was in a car accident when I was 8 that nearly resulted in internal decapitation. I saw the bruise from the seat belt the next day. It was black. I am very fortunate to have a mother.

My dad was an avid cyclist and has received several concussions during cycling. They would have been more than that if he hadn't been wearing a helmet.

A friend was using this weird sort of logic the other day. He used to play firecracker baseball. One person would quickly throw a firecracker, another person would bat it away with their baseball glove and then try to make it to base before the firecracker went off. My husband and his friends' had bottle rocket wars. Although my husband views the bottle rocket wars as stupid now, our friend seemed to take the attitude that the dangerous activity hadn't hurt him. Oddly enough, I remember as a kid meeting two older men who each had a finger blown off by childish games with firecrackers.

I have such a low opinion of Kendall that I didn't think I could possibly be shocked by anything she says. But wow...I'm speechless. What. A. Moron.

My husband is an avid biker and an absolute fanatic about bike safety (helmet, reflective clothes after dark or in foggy conditions, safety lights, etc). When he was crossing the bridge near our house, his tire hit a grating and he went wead ofver handlebars, right into a traffic lane and rapped his head on the pavement. Luckily for him, traffic on the bridge was sparse and he got home with nothing worse than scraped knees and some bad bruising on one arm. Without a helmet, he would have been brain-injured, if not dead. As it was, his head was ringing like the bells of Notre Dame for about an hour afterwards.

Kendall, you're a moron if you think your kids can withstand trauma that would have killed a grown man if he hadn't had more sense than you.

This just makes me so sad. I'm sure this is another one of Mr. Kendal's brilliant ideas. And I bet they are so smug and satisfied that they are so "controversial."

I really don't want them to adopt a baby. Several posts back, Kendal mentioned that she assumed, for several undisclosed reasons, that their adoption would be complete by now. Does anyone know why one would assume that? I am ignorant about the adoption process. I always assumed it could take one year or several years?

Because America is full of slutty heathens who need Kendal& Daniel to adopt their child. :roll:

She posted a status on FB a few weeks back that said something like this:

"Should I be sad that there are no unwanted babies or happy that there are no unwanted babies?"

Does she really not know that answer to that questions? :evil:

By her logic her kids should have no need to wear a seat belt. Like others, I didn't wear them until it became law in my early tween years. I'm thankful for that law because without it, I would have most likely died at twelve in a car crash.

I'm sure the adoption agency would love to know about her cavalier attitude about child safety. Heartless bitch.

In one of their profiles they refer to their children as "possessions". I'm sure that goes a long way toward putting an expectant mother's mind at ease. :roll: They also misspell the word "knew".

Last summer one family in the next town over lost all of their children - three kids under 10 - when they biked into an intersection against the light and were hit by cars. Their dad, who was biking with them but hadn't made it to the intersection yet, was the only one of the four who was wearing a helmet. I don't know why he allowed his kids get on their bikes and head out into city traffic unhelmeted, but I'm positive he will regret that decision forever. And I'm sure he would have choice words for Kendal and her hubris.

Children think nothing bad can happen to them. I am thinking fundies have the same foolish idea.

This too.

It reminds me, when I was a kid there was a sort of detention pond near our high-rise, and there was one kid similar to my age (4ish at the time) who wasn't really looked after during the day and would run around outside, he would get too close to the pond for my mom's liking so she would warn him away from there when she saw him, or get us to play together in a better place where she was watching, etc.

But this kid, when she would tell him it's dangerous, he'd say "Ultraman will save me!"

Not gonna lie, so often when I read stories of various fundies who have the "we don't need to worry, God will just fix it all" (be it a head injury or global warming or whatever it is) I'm reminded of that kid.

Archived