IGNORED

Head Trauma = No big deal when you've got souls to worry

Koala

about. :roll:

thefatherknowsbest.com/2013/03/we-are-that-family.html

Yes, we are that family. You know, the family that goes for a bike ride and nobody wears a helmet. {Gasp!} That's right, you can keep on staring as you drive past us in utter horror. What a horrific sight! Now before you call CPS, did you wear a helmet when you were a child? No you didn't and you're alive to tell about it.

It's true, we don't require our children to wear bike helmets. Why? There's no real reason behind it, we just don't. We teach our children bike safety and we feel that's enough to keep them safe. It worked for me and for you.

Does she just lack any and all logic? The "I lived to tell about it" only works if you are you know...here to tell about it. The people who didn't are dead or somewhere suffering from traumatic brain injury. I mean my god, if you don't want to go to the trouble to protect your kids from head injuries, own it, don't pretend it's logical.

I also love that she points out that there's no reason behind her not using helmets for her kids. She just doesn't. :evil:

I knew a lady online once. Her husband was in a bike accident and the helmet saved his life. Even with it he had a grueling recovery. I also know a man locally who had a bike accident when a dog ran out in front of him. He went over the handlebars and lost consciousness. When he woke up he had a broken collarbone and a cracked helmet. Had he not been wearing that helmet he would have had a cracked skull instead.

Take care of your children Kendal.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, when it comes to helmets and vaccinations, the lack of which could be deadly, the theory is "we lived to tell about it."

But when it comes to public school and dating, the theory is "we were the lucky ones to end up okay. We'd never put our children in that situation. We need to protect them"

The one I rooly rooly love more than any other is the car seat one. " We never used car seats and we were FINE". I asked someone once if they'd ever actually been in a car accident to test the efficacy of the seatbelt thing. She was dumbfounded. It had never occurred to her that you need to actually be in an accident for seatbelts to be of any use.

Different World

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank

Our cribs were covered in lead based paint

No child proof lids no seat belts in cars

Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are

We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved

Had three TV channels you got up to change

No video games and no satellite

All we had were friends and they were outside, playin' outside

Chorus

It was a different life

When we were boys and girls

Not just a different time

It was a different world

School always started the same every day

The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray

Not every kid made the team when they tried

We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

Chorus

Bridge

No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose

And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

Chorus

Chorus

It was a different world

bucky Covington.

not so different to some people, apparently :doh:

pretty sad when your life is basically an obscure third rate country song by an obscure third rate country singer. agree with the team part though-that is true.

Sure, when it comes to helmets and vaccinations, the lack of which could be deadly, the theory is "we lived to tell about it."

But when it comes to public school and dating, the theory is "we were the lucky ones to end up okay. We'd never put our children in that situation. We need to protect them"

This^

It's true, we don't require our children to wear bike helmets. Why? There's no real reason behind it, we just don't. We teach our children bike safety and we feel that's enough to keep them safe.

There's not real reason behind wearing bike helmets? Really? I mean, REALLY? Does she think they were invented for fashion or something? The reason behind bicycle helmets is to prevent serious head injury and yes, they happen more than she thinks. Professional bikers on any type of bike wear helmets, be it a fancy mountain bike, motorcycle or mini-bike, they wear a helmet. Bike safety includes a helmet because it doesn't matter how safe you are, accidents happen.

Which state does Kendal live in? I'm pretty sure most of them have laws at least for kids.

A priest in our church once had a bike accident and when he was recovered, he brought his helmet in to show the Sunday school. It was basically shattered and covered in blood. Any parent who saw that helmet made damn sure their kids wore helmets after that.

Then again, those little girls don't need their brains to make servants for Jebus, right?

The one I rooly rooly love more than any other is the car seat one. " We never used car seats and we were FINE". I asked someone once if they'd ever actually been in a car accident to test the efficacy of the seatbelt thing. She was dumbfounded. It had never occurred to her that you need to actually be in an accident for seatbelts to be of any use.

I have been in such an accident. My husband was driving and we rear-ended a truck on a slick road. I was 8 months pregnant, and had I not been wearing my seatbelt would have went head-first into the windshield and gotten a serious concussion or worse. Thankfully my baby was fine and my only injury was a sprained ankle that resulted from my foot slamming into the floorboard.

Are we taking those same extreme measures to protect their hearts and minds?

Getting your children safely to adulthood doesn't matter as long as you protect them from having their own thoughts

What's the big freaking deal about wearing bike helmets? Even if you think they're not really necessary, what are you losing from wearing them anyway?

They don't have to be expensive (just well-fitted) and you can reuse them for multiple kids. I forget where they live, but there's a pretty good chance there's a local ordinance (if not a state law) that says kids that young have to wear helmets. It is not awesome and counter-cultural to refuse to take basic safety precautions just for the sake of being contrary :roll:

about. :roll:

thefatherknowsbest.com/2013/03/we-are-that-family.html

Yeah, I'm alive to tell it but I wish I did have a bicycle helmet when I was a kid. If I had been wearing a helmet that time I rode under the branches of a tree, my hair wouldn't have gotten caught and I wouldn't have been yanked off my bike like fucking Absalom.

Just a few weeks ago, Kendal posted a FB status talking about seeing a little girl outside with no coat on and commenting about "those girls parents!" and then realizing it was her daughter... How is it good parenting for her to not have her daughters wear helmets, but bad parenting for a parent to allow their kid to go outside without a coat?

Scientists are only beginning to understand the long-term impacts that concussions have on the later development of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Dementia. They do know that these conditions can take decades to develop, however.

When I think about all of the bike and roller-skating crashes I had as a kid (and somehow I always landed face-first) it's a little scary. This was in the early/mid 1980's and no, I did not wear a helmet.

Just because you "turned out fine" without wearing a helmet doesn't mean you won't see repercussions of early head trauma later on.

I'm probably about Kendal's age, and we did wear helmets, and that's why I'm around now. My parents made me wear a helmet before the state law required it of children, which was a good thing, because a car hit me when I was out biking by myself at age 8 or 9. It wasn't a severe accident, but it was enough to knock me off the bike, fall on the ground, and whack my head pretty hard.

I've worked with people who have traumatic brain injuries, and are struggling to recover their speech and some form of their previous, pre-accident life, and I would never wish that recovery on anyone. I can't imagine forcing that outcome on a young child, who can't really advocate for themselves, and thinks that their parent is protecting them, when they actually are not.

I don't follow either of them other than through FJ, but Kendal keeps gaining on Kelly of GC in the race to the bottom of my esteem. I've done a lot of horseback riding and it's said that one fall from horse height where you hit your head is equivalent to ramming your head at 25 mph into a brick wall... which is why I never, ever get on a horse without a helmet. Bikes aren't as tall as a horse, so not quite as dangerous, but kids also have more fragile brains. I wish she loved her kids enough to care for their wellbeing.

Love her reply to Sola:

I'm just curious as to what has changed in the last 30 years in regards to bike safety. I never even owned a helmet when I was younger. Have motorist become more aggressive in their driving and seek out to hit little children now? Or is a reaction due to the moral decline of our country? It makes us feel like better parents to send little Johnny out on his bike with full protective gear.

And we don't just send out children out to ride their bikes either. We go as a family.

I would say that no one could be that ignorant, but there it is. :shock:

Bike helmets are due to the moral decline of the country???? WTF is she talking about?

I never used bike helmets when I was a kid either, but now we know bike helmets might help prevent traumatic head injury or death. Is using new information for our health and safety against Kendal's religion?

What does she even mean by she teaches her kids bike safety? If she's got some foolproof lesson on how to never, ever fall off a bike she really needs to share. She could make millions. Maybe someone should tell her that if she lines the helmets with tinfoil all ungodly influences will be blocked. Those kids would have those things on at all times!

I consider myself pretty relaxed as a parent. Go ahead, climb trees, fall down, play sports and get bruised up a little. If it's broken, concussed or bleeding like MT. Vesuvius we'll go to the doctor, otherwise a bandaid, ice pack and some sympathy will do just fine. I'm not bubblewrapping my kid, but for damn sure he's wearing a seatbelt and a bike helmet. You know, commonsense precautions.

I let my children play with matches because I played with matches as a kid and I turned out just fine. Sure we had a couple of little fires but nothing to write home about. Kids used to play with matches all the time. They had candles in their rooms and fires in the fireplace with no guard. What has changed over the past 100 years to suddenly make fire unsafe? We only play with matches as a family so it's totally safe.

Archived