IGNORED

What if the fundies took over?

AtroposHeart

Imagine over nights that your rights as a woman as taken away.

You have no right to vote.

Limited access to reproductive healthcare

No abortion rights

You owned no property.

You could not go to college

You could not work outside the home.

Your husband had a legan right to rape and beat you.

I personally couldn't take it, and would probably kill myself.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imagine over nights that your rights as a woman as taken away.

No abortion rights

You owned no property.

I personally couldn't take it, and would probably kill myself.

Have you read A Handmaid's Tale?

Welcome to the 19th century.....and some parts of the 20th (in North America, anyway, many places where this is still the norm).

Remember, we're dealing with people who think 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale are how-to guides, not dystopian fables.

I hope I'd have the strength to participate in an underground resistance, but I fear that I would resort to suicide.

Pretty much.

I'm not sure there's much sense in living if I'm just living as a legal object as opposed to a person.

Their great theocracy would last about 20 minutes before at least two colossal patriarchal egos collided, gathered loyal factions, and proceeded to kill enemy troopers in a war of attrition over some minor point of doctrine such as infant baptism or whether women should be allowed to sing in the church choir (assuming song would be permitted at all). Then people would come to their senses and swear never to allow that bullshit again.

A random Monday would dawn when some minor politician with major ambition would start thinking, “Hey, remember that failed experiment in theocracy we tried a few years ago? They were just doin' it wrong. I know how to do the thing correctly and all the people will dance with joy when my sweeping political changes bring them a level of peace they never expected to see on this side of the dirt.â€

Boom.

Fini.

Guest Anonymous

No abortion rights

You owned no property.

This sounds like living in my father's house. My plan was:

1) Pack a bag

2) Wait until he goes to work

3) Run!

I would have no idea what to do if this happened on a larger scale. I'd probably kill myself.

Chaos would break out in several ways. Without working women, law enforcement and healthcare facilities would be screwed.

Chaos would break out in several ways. Without working women, law enforcement and healthcare facilities would be screwed.

I wonder if they would allow women to still be teachers or nurses... well lets see, they would definitely do away with the Dept of Education...

Have you read A Handmaid's Tale?

My first thought when I saw the headline was that novel.

Honestly, a lot of the crap I read from some of these fundies is straight out of that book.

Any idea of free will would be banished. Like, all libraries would have to supply books that only talked about God and JEEBUS and shit by the Duggars and the Maxwells.

I'd probaly would serve in the underground resistance while keeping a secret identity of a God fearin' spinster since I am too old to spill out Quiver now. I'd be the one supplying secret birth control, books that weren't all about Jesus/headships/hitting your child with plumbing line because JESUS and wine.

I still like to think this is a minority.

I would kill them with gin.

Got another one. Their would be no regular schools all children would have to be homeschooled.

Would the fundies really trust a population of people converted by force to educate indoctrinate the quivers of the State correctly?

I don't think they'd last. Most of them are dirt-poor and the different factions tolerate each other, but couldn't work together.

Pretty much.

I'm not sure there's much sense in living if I'm just living as a legal object as opposed to a person.

I hope you'd not kill yourselves.

Don't think for one second that I overlooked Debrand's thread on Madam Sivac – the judge who helped make rape a war crime. (I don't know why the media picked up on it only now: Madam Sivac has been chipping away at this since well before 1995.)

She survived in a situation designed specifically to kill people: Two months – approximately 60 days - 1440 hours, with each hour holding no more promise for relief than the one that came before. To the ones who saw her then, she was one face among 37 women serving in the kitchen areas or cleaning interrogation rooms. To the ones who see her now, she is a human battering ram who plans to pound the shit out of as many war criminals as she can catch. And if her efforts at prosecution are hampered for legal or logistical reasons, she has other ways of collecting at least part of her due.

Madam Sivac is an avid letter-writer who has a fondness for good stationary. She enjoys sending mail abroad every couple of years: Friendly greetings, questions about the health of family – and reminders that she is still out there, knows your address, and could live another 20 years.

The story to which Debrand linked doesn't do the madam justice enough credit: Most of the individuals successfully tried for war crimes related to the massacre at her city and in the outlying camps were brought to the prisoners' dock by her actions. She did the leg work, went to the homes of survivors who swore they'd never speak and managed to collect testimonies from them.

She never had the opportunity to participate in any kind of resistance. Others preferred death to living as she had to live. But now, about 20 years later – well, she's frightening, relentless, and exceptionally pissed off.

If she had killed herself, most of the people convicted would never have been in court at all.

Rape probably still wouldn't be considered a war crime.

Amen, Burris.

Even in The Handmaid's Tale, there are pockets of resistance (iirc, Alabama is a Baptist anti-government stronghold) and of course the internal leaders who think the whole system is full of shit.

Fundies take over and we would have the Christian version of Afghanistan under Taliban rule. No differences at all. Fundamentalism is the same no matter which religion it is.

I would hope and pray that I would end up an old maid like Sarah Maxwell. It would seem preferable to the alternative.

Archived