IGNORED

Jewellery, Beads & Buttons!

Vex

Thank you.

Once you get started it becomes easier. The blue necklace took me forever to make as I kept counting beads and going back to make sure I was doing things correctly.

The pink one I put together in half the time.

The "Jewelry Making and Beading for Dummies" book has been a huge, huge help. I do recommend it.

I like your necklaces!

It took me a while to get the hang of beading. Even now my stuff isn't 'great' but I like it.

I think your things are lovely, Violet.

I'd kind of like to try my hand at jewelry making someday, but I don't wear a lot of jewelry, so I'm not sure what I'd wind up doing with all of it. I'd kind of like to make myself a pearl bracelet with colors similar to [link=http://www.bluenile.com/tahitian-cultured-pearl-diamond-bracelet-gold_37951]this one[/link], because even if I could afford to drop $6,500 on a bracelet, my hands and wrists are so small that the standard 7.5 in. bracelet literally falls off my hand. Back when livestrong bracelets were the big thing, I used to wear the teddy bear sized ones they sell at build-a-bear. :doh: I would probably wear bracelets every now and then if I didn't pretty much REQUIRE a custom made one for it to stay on my hand.

I think your things are lovely, Violet.

I'd kind of like to try my hand at jewelry making someday, but I don't wear a lot of jewelry, so I'm not sure what I'd wind up doing with all of it. I'd kind of like to make myself a pearl bracelet with colors similar to [link=http://www.bluenile.com/tahitian-cultured-pearl-diamond-bracelet-gold_37951]this one[/link], because even if I could afford to drop $6,500 on a bracelet, my hands and wrists are so small that the standard 7.5 in. bracelet literally falls off my hand. Back when livestrong bracelets were the big thing, I used to wear the teddy bear sized ones they sell at build-a-bear. :doh: I would probably wear bracelets every now and then if I didn't pretty much REQUIRE a custom made one for it to stay on my hand.

Thank you :)

I don't really either to be honest. I have a necklace that was a 17th birthday present which I always wear, having made half a dozen new necklaces I've decided to start wearing some of them! I have really small wrists and hands too! I always find that if it's small enough to stay on then it's a swine to put on myself because it's so small - I can't win! I'm not much of a bracelet person really, although I do like the idea of the one in the link....maybe I could use my late grandmother's pearl necklace to make something similar? ;)

The jewelry is lovely :)

I've heard that the best way to really "make it" at etsy is to become very active in the community. Post on the forums a lot, get to know people, follow/get followers (or circles or whatever the call them now), get people to favorite, favorite other people's stuff etc.

Frankly, even before I took over FJ, I really didn't have time to join yet another community that needed that kind of commitment with all the irons I already had in the fire.

I love the concept of etsy, but it has not been good for me, personally. Admittedly, I have not thrown myself into my etsy store full force, as I said. I am considering just setting up my own zen cart on my page. Then I don't have listing fees, have to remember to renew stuff and I can promote that with my other things without people having to leave my site and go to etsy.

It's moot right now since right now, you all are my life ;)

Edit to add: I really love that dragonfly/butterfly set. The safety pin thing is clever. I've never seen those before. Maybe they are super popular and I am just clueless. I don't wear jewelry so don't pay a lot of attention to trends ;)

The jewelry is lovely :)

I've heard that the best way to really "make it" at etsy is to become very active in the community. Post on the forums a lot, get to know people, follow/get followers (or circles or whatever the call them now), get people to favorite, favorite other people's stuff etc.

Frankly, even before I took over FJ, I really didn't have time to join yet another community that needed that kind of commitment with all the irons I already had in the fire.

I love the concept of etsy, but it has not been good for me, personally. Admittedly, I have not thrown myself into my etsy store full force, as I said. I am considering just setting up my own zen cart on my page. Then I don't have listing fees, have to remember to renew stuff and I can promote that with my other things without people having to leave my site and go to etsy.

It's moot right now since right now, you all are my life ;)

Edit to add: I really love that dragonfly/butterfly set. The safety pin thing is clever. I've never seen those before. Maybe they are super popular and I am just clueless. I don't wear jewelry so don't pay a lot of attention to trends ;)

Thank you! :D

Yeah I'm not sure if I have time for any forum other than FJ! I'm still not sure about selling stuff online because it all sounds rather complicated about whether I'm just a private person or if I count as an actual business because I made the stuff myself! Also I'm still not sure if I feel comfortable taking money off people.....

I can't take credit for the pin - I bought one in Hobbycraft because it was on sale then found them in my local go-to bead shop.

If you would like the butterfly/dragonfly stuff, PM me your address and which ones you want and I can post them to you. :)

Edited to add: Okay I just read that you don't wear jewellery :doh: I need to start reading stuff more carefully!! Either way the same goes for anyone, if you're interested in any of the jewellery, then feel free to PM me :)

The blue one is very pretty and a great job for your first one, I'd say!

I'm not a big "pink" person, but I like the design of the second one. It's a bit different than stuff I've seen, but I don't wear jewelry anymore, so don't keep up on trends. I think it's unique though, which is always good in my book :)

Thank you for the kind words. :) I'm not much of a jewelry wearer but sometimes it's fun to make something or try something on.

• 3 months later...

Looks awesome! I do a lot of beadwork myself, so PM me if you ever want pdfs of beading magazines -- I love that pale pink necklace.

I think they are both beautiful but I really LOVE the design of the pink one, and I don't even wear pink. Are you thinking of branching out into other things like suncatchers and necklaces to hang eyeglasses from?

Archived