IGNORED

Devil's food cake

Minerva

So I bought this devil's food cake mix and was determined to make cupcakes with it. Followed the directions on the box, replacing the egg with apple sauce since I'm vegan. Meanwhile the oven was pre-heating. As I put the muffin tin in the oven, I absentmindedly turned the oven OFF. Came back after 22 minutes, tested a cupcake, it wasn't even halfway done. Waited another 10 minutes, tested another cupcake, it hadn't changed. Realized the oven was off, turned it back on and checked the cupcakes every minute or so until they seemed decently solid.

Their texture ended up being really weird. It was sort of...wilty? And unusually soft for cake. Is Devil's food cake supposed to have a weird texture, or did I just screw it up that bad?

So I bought this devil's food cake mix and was determined to make cupcakes with it. Followed the directions on the box, replacing the egg with apple sauce since I'm vegan. Meanwhile the oven was pre-heating. As I put the muffin tin in the oven, I absentmindedly turned the oven OFF. Came back after 22 minutes, tested a cupcake, it wasn't even halfway done. Waited another 10 minutes, tested another cupcake, it hadn't changed. Realized the oven was off, turned it back on and checked the cupcakes every minute or so until they seemed decently solid.

Their texture ended up being really weird. It was sort of...wilty? And unusually soft for cake. Is Devil's food cake supposed to have a weird texture, or did I just screw it up that bad?

Although I'm not certain I think it was the substitution of applesauce in place of the egg; while it often works I've found that it can affect the texture of the resulting baked good.

It also could be that the baking powders action was partially nuetralized. If you got it to a certain temp but then it cooled the leavening action is thwarted and they arent as light.

I see. Thanks. Applesauce works well with heavy things like muffins or thick brownies, but maybe light cake needs something more egg-y. I'll probably try a different egg replacer the next time I bake cake. But I don't think it'll be devil's food next time, I didn't really like the taste.

Archived