IGNORED

Wonder-mum on NO BENEFITS

JesusFightClub

A woman all women should aspire to be (or at least the Fail seems to think so).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -year.html

I couldn't see if she was mired in fundydom but I'm getting that vibe...(her website isn't working well and I am lazy)

largerfamilylife.com

Compare and contrast our fundy multimums!

I thought this thread was gonna be about Wonder Bread -- No Benefits.

:doh:

It might have been, if I knew what Wonder Bread was. Is it wonderful? :)

They were on the UK's "15 Kids and counting" - they're the strictly Catholic couple.

No. Definitely not. Visit the great milk and juice kerfluffle :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: (or don't) for more on Wonder bread.

Ive read that blog. I had no idea they were the same family from the TV show :) Been watching it, I went to school with the oldest kids from the other family that were on there, the ones that made the Howlers look like complete angels (although suprisingly I remember their oldest daughter being rather quiet and well behaved at school).

Well, good for her that she's happy and able to raise all those kids without requiring state aid. However, I'd wager that she's a special case. Self-employment can be unpredictable and a large families have large monthly needs. Depending on the situation, many people would be unable to do what she does without help. I just hope she understands responsible parenting also means you should have as many kids as you can afford, not as many as your uterus can take.

It is spongy enough to be wadded up like a facial tissue, it is chalky in color, and it tastes like slightly salted and sweetened air. Some people really love it. I like food that requires chewing.

my mom was always on a diet when I was a kid, often a no-carb one (back when it was just the Atkins diet and encouraged kidney failure) so my dad would smuggle in Wonderbread for us. You can use it like modeling clay! Also you can make a 6-layer sandwich with it then roll it flat with a rolling pin so it's the height of a regular sandwich.

The white bag with primary-colored dots is an iconic brand image & someone in my neighborhood made this adorable Scamp trailer based on it: http://m.pinterest.com/pin/23010648068365058/

^ That's really cool. I never thought about the Wonder graphics being iconic, but they are.

wonderbreadcookbook-400_zpsf6efd147.jpg

Yes, I bet these recipes are definitely "unexpected."

Poor JFC. We :text-threadjacked: her thread.

Hey, threadjacking can lead to rich veins of....ah, something, I've lost track of the metaphor :oops:

It sounds a bit like Japanese bread....

PS - I think wonder-mum kinda still is on bennies. I don't believe for a second she turns down child benefit, for a start.

Hey, threadjacking can lead to rich veins of....ah, something, I've lost track of the metaphor :oops:

PS - I think wonder-mum kinda still is on bennies. I don't believe for a second she turns down child benefit, for a start.

Haha JFC from the comments.

Nice looking family. Almost makes me wish my wife and I had been socially irresponsible enough to have 10 more children and rely on whatever state aid there is that is not classified as a benefit.

- tony , London, United Kingdom, 08/3/2013 20:57

Maybe there are more acceptable and less acceptable benefits, and she takes the more acceptable ones, which don't count in the Daily Mail's conception of "benefits". The child benefit being one that's given for higher demographics. And the NHS could be argued to be a benefit, too- that's certainly not something that everyone in even every first world country can expect. "Normal" people get that- "us"- it's not like the JSA- "them".

Maybe there are more acceptable and less acceptable benefits, and she takes the more acceptable ones, which don't count in the Daily Mail's conception of "benefits". The child benefit being one that's given for higher demographics. And the NHS could be argued to be a benefit, too- that's certainly not something that everyone in even every first world country can expect. "Normal" people get that- "us"- it's not like the JSA- "them".

I was going to say tax credits, maybe? ( only skimmed the article, too much rage)

Sick pay for her husband

Tax breaks on stuff for her kids- though I don't know if there's a way to avoid no VAT)

Etc

I was going to say tax credits, maybe? ( only skimmed the article, too much rage)

Sick pay for her husband

Tax breaks on stuff for her kids- though I don't know if there's a way to avoid no VAT)

Etc

I have to say that I don't usually think of child benefit as being 'on benefits' because it was (until the recent changes) universal and hardly anyone turned it down. To me, being on benefits would indicate things like housing benefit for people in more serious financial difficulties. I hope this doesn't come across as snobby - perhaps I see it like that because I never had to jump through hoops to claim child benefit, it was just given to me. Whereas when I was claiming child tax credit, I had to fill in forms and give details of income to check if I was eligible. That seems more like 'benefits' to me.

I have to say that I don't usually think of child benefit as being 'on benefits' because it was (until the recent changes) universal and hardly anyone turned it down. To me, being on benefits would indicate things like housing benefit for people in more serious financial difficulties. I hope this doesn't come across as snobby - perhaps I see it like that because I never had to jump through hoops to claim child benefit, it was just given to me. Whereas when I was claiming child tax credit, I had to fill in forms and give details of income to check if I was eligible. That seems more like 'benefits' to me.

I understand that, I think that's the perception the DM are going for. It is a benefit, though, it's aid from the state. So unless she's making a conscious choice to be benefit free, saying she's on no benefits is disingenuous.

(NHS to me is also state aid, but it's probably a bit picky to say she shouldn't use it)

http://www.largerfamilylife.com/2012/07 ... -debate-2/

Whilst I agree with some of her points; redistribution of wealth/food/resources etc, she starts off with the inevitable 'the world can fit into Texas yada yada yada..'

Her points about redistributing resources are fine, BUT not realistic. Quite simply that isn't going to happen. As for her points on limiting our use of resources, again not going to happen. Simply because the initial outlay for this to happen will be enormous and there isn't a government right now in the world that would put in that much work and money to make it happen. It is sad, but it is true.

Then there is the issue that OK, maybe if everything was redistributed and the demands on resources were limited to using renewables, you might just be able to say to each family 'go and have 20 kids' and it will be fine. But what about the next generation? And the generation after that?

A while back I read online about if each Duggar kid went on to have 20 kids each, and so on each generation, within 6 generations J'Chelle would have 6 billion descendants. SIX BILLION DUGGARS!

Now imagine if every female in the world did that. And every one of her daughters did that, and so on. How long will the resources last then? Texas would be full to bursting pretty sharpish.

It isn't sustainable. So this woman's points - and J'Chelle's if it comes that - soon fall. What she is saying that it is OK for her, and every other female of her generation to have large families. But realistically, it wont work. After one generation alone, the planet would be struggling. After two, well it doesn't take much working out to see that it would be a disaster.

That story is under a tab called "femail" which includes sub-tabs for "beauty" and "recipe finder". :puke-huge:

A while back I read online about if each Duggar kid went on to have 20 kids each, and so on each generation, within 6 generations J'Chelle would have 6 billion descendants. SIX BILLION DUGGARS!

9a782787-9702-441a-87e4-89d90900895a_zps28a14e85.jpg

They'll be on Tuesday's episode of 16 kids and counting (I wonder whether channel 4 had to pay TLC for the title). The family with 16 kids that was on last week don't take benefits in the daily mail sense either. Daddy Saleem annoyed me though; his poor wife pleading with him and he just says "a doctor of philosophy selling chocolates?" entitled idiot.

You mean the really thick-cut faintly sweet oh so soft white bread in Japan? Love that stuff (just plain, or buttered).

Wonder bread is kinda a half-ass imitation of it (not quite as faintly sweet), but basically the same idea yeah. It's good for what it is, I like that sort of bread as a snack or as toast. Cut thin like Wonder does it though, it's not as good. "Texas toast" cut is closer.

That SAID, I can't imagine having sandwiches on the stuff. Perhaps if toasted, but there's just not much structure to it (which is why it's so great and fluffy and good as a snack). I always toast my bread for sandwiches and even then I start with at least wheat.

As a sculpting medium though, it's brilliant. It wads up, and there's a certain weird pleasure to eating it that way too...

The wadded bread thought makes me feel a bit sick!

Yes, that thick bread! I used to make it toasted and make a toasted banana sandwich with it. It is not much like bread is in the UK :D

Safeway, 1997: 'Okay, so I've passed this stuff a few times. I wonder if it tastes as advertized.'

LATER: 'Nope! In fact, I'm not even sure that was actually a food-stuff.'

FUN FACT: If you wad up a ball of that shit and throw it at a wall, it's capable of sticking.

Wonder_Bread.JPG

Ew. Don't.

The biggest thing I remember about Wonder bread is it can't legally be sold as bread. :lol:

It and "pasteurized process cheese flavored food" both need permanently banned from the planet.

Archived